Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

30 Fps Vs 60 Fps

TheErebus.

So I got into a bit of an argument with two of my friends who said that 60 FPS should be the standard for all games, while the other said that 30 FPS is perfectly acceptable. They were discussing PC games in general.

Personally, I can't see the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, so to me, either is fine. Most games with 30 FPS in mind are made to work at that setting and are designed to look good at it. Bloodborne is an example of a game running at 30 FPS that very seldom dips below it, in every other case it runs very smoothly. 

So what do you think 'bout it?

Note: Let's keep the discussion civil, no elitism, no namecalling and no insults. We are all gamers, regardless of console and/or opinion.

Edited by TheErebus.

60fps.

Even if some players can't tell the difference, a developer choosing to exclude it as an option is restricting the players, and may actively damage their experience. Unless there is a very good reason, 60fps should be considered a benchmark as enough players can tell the difference, and it does not detrimentally effect those who cannot.

Subjective If you compare a 60fps segment and a 30fps segment side by side, the difference is immense. Even if you aren't conscious of the difference, 30fps can also lead to headaches and increased motion sickness.

If you really can't see the difference, see if you can find two identical clips at 30 and 60, and compare the two. If you still can't, it might be worth checking your monitor.

Edit - A cursory Youtube search:

Edited by Kthal

I think it really is about the pace of the game. If you play an RPG where you just do things slow and steady, 30fps shouldn't be a problem.

In games where you are twitching your camera like you are having a seizure, more frames do not hurt. (CoD, or even Warframe)

60 should always be better, but 30 doesn't suck in every case.

Edited by Cynaris

I already wear glasses, I still cannot see the difference.

There's a huge difference between 60fps and 30fps. Are you sure your monitor is at least 60hz? I'd be surprised if it wasn't, it's pretty much standard by now, but if its 24/30hz, you won't be able to see anything above 24/30fps. I unfortunately can tell the difference between 60fps and 50fps, leading to a constant annoyance if I can't keep a constant 60fps. 

There's a huge difference between 60fps and 30fps. Are you sure your monitor is at least 60hz? I'd be surprised if it wasn't, it's pretty much standard by now, but if its 24/30hz, you won't be able to see anything above 24/30fps. I unfortunately can tell the difference between 60fps and 50fps, leading to a constant annoyance if I can't keep a constant 60fps. 

It is a 60hz monitor. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the monitor. 

The same with my TV.

Not every game needs 60fps; racing games, sport games, competitive shooters, mobas, competitive rts, music games, shmups, stylish action games (DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden) and fighting games are the only ones that need it.

Who cares if Uncharted or Assassin's Creed are 30fps, you don't need split second reactions and incredible accuracy for most types of games. Also 60fps look silly in certain games.

It is a 60hz monitor. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the monitor. 

The same with my TV.

when you're used to it (30fps), its hard to see the difference with 60fps or more.

years ago I had a really S#&$ty pc(with crt monitor) and played games at 25-40 fps and it was ok and I couldn't see the difference when it was over 40fps.

But with my new pc and a 120hz lcd anything less than 70fps feels bad and under 50 I have problems aiming.

Nope, I still don't see it. 

I'm being serious too, I honest to god, cannot see the difference.

Right click your desktop, screen resolution, advanced settings, monitor. Is your screen at least outputting 60fps?

The difference is whether you get motion sickness or not. I'd rather not.

The study shows that if you play and watch things at 30 fps for long enough (at least 6 hours a day for about a few months), you eventually start to comprehend things at that pace. That means, you start to see EVERYTHING at 30 fps, real or not. The effect eventually fades out if you cut on your TV time.

Edited by LABAL

my first fps was wolfeistein 3d. My first pc was a 4/86 with a epic 8mb of ram. From experience, I can see a different between 30 and 60 fps, meanwhile other people on't. I also notice that most people who are use to console game wont see much different between 30-60 fps,

Keep in mind what im saying are not fact by my opinion base on personal experience, don't need to flame me thnere =p

My opinion is 24 is playable but not acceptable. 30 fps should be the minimum (mostly for 4k resolutoin since it is ressource hungry!) and 60 fps would be the ideal.(mostly for lower resolution)

when you're used to it (30fps), its hard to see the difference with 60fps or more.

years ago I had a really S#&$ty pc(with crt monitor) and played games at 25-40 fps and it was ok and I couldn't see the difference when it was over 40fps.

But with my new pc and a 120hz lcd anything less than 70fps feels bad and under 50 I have problems aiming.

This is the reason why I can't stand playing a game on a console anymore =/ The game feel just too much slughish for me and unplayable.

Kinda surprised how posters here seem to expect that everyone can tell 30 vs 60 fps just like that from video footage.

Maybe because most of the posters are PC gamers and are used to 60?

While I can tell the difference from video it's not night-and-day in difference and I can definitely understand that an untrained eye won't be able to tell from video footage.

However, instead of 2 videos with different framerates, try it with an actual game where you control what happens on screen not just watch it.

A good way to compare is the Last of Us Remastered release on PS4. It has an option to lock the framerate to 30 like it was on PS3.

In my opinion 60 simply feels smoother and more responsive and any game benefits from higher framerate. It may not require it because it's turn-based etc but it will still benefit.

While Bloodborne is great at 30 it would be even better at 60.

Edited by Kalakukkoo