Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tips For Doing Raid As Vauban, First Timer.

Tesseract7777

Question

Hey ya'll, I have been playing for awhile and I'm halfway through MR9. I could be much higher mastery by now, but I love my favorite stuff so I rank up slowly. I am a Vauban main, and when I do finally do a raid, I intend to use Vauban. Thing is, while I can do fine on any high level content, the raid seems intimidating because from the videos and guides I have read, you are playing kind of counter-intuitively. Only crowd control, never kill, a lot of stuff about finding pads and staying on them, and the videos help, but it's still a bit confusing. 

I've also read a lot of posts about the raid, and it seems many people use very specialized builds for it. So, would a Vauban build for a raid be different a lot from a normal Vauban build? What would it look like exactly? And what is Vauban's role/role's within the raid (specifically, besides just "lots of CC") and what tips would you suggest for using him in the raid. I really want to actually try one soon. I've had a key since the start, but I haven't gotten around to giving it a go yet. I don't want to be nubby with it because I haven't done it before, even though I'm experienced with the rest of the game, and ruin everyone else's fun by messing things up. I want to make sure I know what I am doing, and am prepared to do my role in the team properly. Thanks for any help/advice! 

23 answers to this question

For him, I would just increase your survivability (redirection, vigor, vitality) as much as you can, he's slow and going to take a bit of a beating, then remaining in repelling bastille, power strength, duration, stretch, streamline. OR for being a little more creative, you could omit power strength for over extended since you'd have repelling bastille, and omit streamline for fleeting expertise.

You are going to be using energy pads galore, and spamming like no other, so upping your efficiency and range may work out in your favor as you can spam more and cover a larger area.  

I think it's safe to scrap life mods. Just use flow and quick thinking because your trinitys are going to keep your energy and health always topped up and your Lokis will disarm them anyway.

Build for bastille. Power strength, efficiency, range and duration. You can skip power strength and spam a lot of bastilles.

That's it :D

Edited by Evanescent

what is Vauban's role/role's within the raid (specifically, besides just "lots of CC")

Uh, nope, that's about it.

Edit: Elaboration - There are 3 stages, with 2 parts to stage 2. Your job is to lock down stage 1 (around the Injectors) 2.1 (so people don't get knocked off the pads. You're not the only one whose responsibility that is, though) (and stage 3 to a point, but that's less crucial.)

Bastilles everywhere. Mod them to your preference.

I'm assuming you have energy restores and an EV trin, prioritize range over Strength (as you have alot of area to cover, and not a huge amount of enemies).

Defense mods to preference, any one should work (assuming you have a Blessing Trin in squad) and you shouldn't need more than that.

I'd tend to take Vit or Redir so it won't conflict with my spammage (and assuming you have at least 1 Trinity in your squad).

Edited by Chroia

As long as Trinity keeps the flow of energy constant you shouldn't worry. But the problem there is that if you Bastille everything in sight, then the Trin will have nothing to EV. Bringing a Vauban isn't the best choice, but it's doable. Just build for Range/efficiency and not too much duration but enough to sustain a point. 

Usually CC Frames aren't needed if you have a Blessing Trin :P

Edited by DaFrigginPope

I've done some raids with vauban, and even if it isn't raid this is my normal build on him...
Blind rage (not full), over,strech,fleeting, constitution,narrow minded, prime flow and vitality.
If theres is two trinitys i spam bastille all day,or even if I need to use energy pads...  your job to keep enemies from moving... and if you are used to raid, you can help,activating butons and reviving ...but that valkyrs job...
Hope it helped..

Thanks for the advice guys! 

So, would something like: 

R4 Fleeting

R4 Streamline

Flow

Overextended

Stretch

Continuity

Constitution

Vitality/Quick Thinking/Redirection etc. 

I guess if I wanted my bastille's to hold more enemies I could try to fit power strength in there somewhere, but if I am going to just use restores plus Trin to keep energy up anyways, then I guess I can always just throw more bastille's instead. If I did want to try fitting in a little power strength, where would be the best place to try to fit it? If I didn't use Quick Thinking, would Flow be important for a raid build? 

I feel like Repelling Bastille is a bad idea though for the raid, from what I've seen in the video's, it doesn't seem like that augment would work great here? 

DaFrigginPope: Trin can't EV an enemy if they are within Bastille? 

I've done some raids with vauban, and even if it isn't raid this is my normal build on him...
Blind rage (not full), over,strech,fleeting, constitution,narrow minded, prime flow and vitality.
If theres is two trinitys i spam bastille all day,or even if I need to use energy pads...  your job to keep enemies from moving... and if you are used to raid, you can help,activating butons and reviving ...but that valkyrs job...
Hope it helped..

Yeah, thanks! I have an R7 Blind Rage, I've thought about trying to fit that into a raid build for more enemies in each bastille, you generally don't find the efficiency is a problem, with the Trinities doing their thing? These questions probably seem silly to all of you guys who have done raids. 

I've just heard raids tend to play very differently from a lot of the other content, so I want to do this right when I finally host one. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

From the times I've run the raid, the Vauban(s) spammed Bastilles to keep the enemies held at bay. I've never played him myself for a raid, but that's what I've seen. So I'd build for efficiency and duration. And take a lot of energy pads, especially if and when you get around to Nightmare.

Also: wouldn't suggest you use Vortex on the first part (it can be useful in other parts, but you'll usually stick to Bastille). The bomb can get sucked in if it's too close to a Vortex and won't destroy the toxin injector, forcing you do redo it.

DaFrigginPope: Trin can't EV an enemy if they are within Bastille? 

Trin can EV enemies in Bastille. But when they are spammed so much that they can't move from their spawn points, then it becomes an issue

Edited by DaFrigginPope

From the times I've run the raid, the Vauban(s) spammed Bastilles to keep the enemies held at bay. I've never played him myself for a raid, but that's what I've seen. So I'd build for efficiency and duration. And take a lot of energy pads, especially if and when you get around to Nightmare.

Also: wouldn't suggest you use Vortex on the first part (it can be useful in other parts, but you'll usually stick to Bastille). The bomb can get sucked in if it's too close to a Vortex and won't destroy the toxin injector, forcing you do redo it.

This. Though I will never use vortex in the first part. Actually I don't use vortex at all,i find with enough bastilles your problems just float away =)

Trin can EV enemies in Bastille. But when they are spammed so much that they can't move from their spawn points, then it becomes an issue

Ah, I gotcha. I can see how that could end up a problem, basically, I guess, it comes down to using the skill thoughtfully instead of just hitting the button over and over and throwing it in every direction. 

So, would something like:

Looks good to me.

Note my edit, above, for some specifics of your job.

Also: Don't worry too much about power str. You'll rarely have more than ~4 enemies in a clump once you get going, and if you do... just hit them with another Bastille. *shrug*

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Edited by Chroia

Looks good to me.

Note my edit, above, for some specifics of your job.

Also: Don't worry about power str. You'll rarely have more than ~4 enemies in a clump once you get going, and if you do... just hit them with another Bastille. *shrug*

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Thanks for the elaboration on the strategy. 

And yeah, that sounds good to me. Usually I prefer to avoid trying to fit power strength on Vauban if I can avoid it because he isn't really designed for that, but I figured I should ask about that anyways because raids are a bit different. 

Yes if trinity has a good build with low duration, to get your team energy fast, its all good, and if theres two trinitys using a low duration build, you probably won't run out energy never. And like someone said if you see someone runing around when they shouldn't just throw another bastille, solved.

max range duration and efficiency to the best of your capabilities. Spam 3 through every phase until the 4th where you jsut want to focus on the middle platform [in normal] or the outer silos [in nightmare]. Carry blue pads because sometimes battery trinity wont keep you full.

you know youve done your job right when nothing but Tenno are moving.

what u want from vauban in raid is Prime Flow, 170-175 efficiency, quick thinking to go with prime flow and some duration/range. You don't really need both overextended and Stretch, you can choose either one of those and compensate lack of power strength with intensify. 

My build for lazy vauban is 40% Efficiency Fleeting and maxed everything else Prime Cont, QT, Overextended, Constitution, Primed Flow, streamline and intensify. You just get on one of four pads in the middle of room in puzzle part (not the ones which are close to hacking consoles), spin around and throw bastille's in 360 degrees every 20 seconds or so, since bastille is Arc like grenade which detonates on impact, so u can cover almost entire room, if u know ur S#&$. 

As far as final part of Raid goes, in normal its easy, in nightmare i suggest coptering around like crazy and using bastille on every single outer console non-stop pretty much or using Vauban's Bouncing Pad ability (the one which lasts 300 seconds), just throw several of pads near each console and help out the team. 

There's two different setups for a raid vauban - max range, and max duration. The former sorta covers for a lack of other CC, providing wide area denial and cc to protect the team. The latter setup revolves around dropping a long duration bastille (or even vortex) near the spawn / entry points of enemies, preventing them from threatening the team in the first place. However, as pointed out, the second setup can frustrate your teammates to no end.

Tweaking your build is going to come down to experience and how you like to play. The setup I use for area denial has terrible efficiency and relies on your team's Trinity being on the ball to keep you supplied - if you know beforehand the trin sucks you might want to go another direction.

Adding extra health and shield mods is only going to add an extra hit or two to your grace period before you die. It's not worth it - better to rely on teammates and yourself providing adequate CC to keep you from being hit in the first place.

I use a very squishy setup of:

Repelling Bastille

Overextended Rank 4

Stretch

Transient Fortitude Rank 9

Primed Continuity

Constitution

Streamline

Primed Flow

I use Vauban for Both normal and nightmare raids

Max Corrosive - aura

Max redirection

Max vitality

Max streamline

Max overextended

Max stretch

Max primed Flow

Max Primed Continuity

Max Repelling Bastille

Don't use his arcane helms, they're both terrible.

Spam Bastille and burn plates

Edited by (PS4)Juzam666

Also: Don't worry too much about power str. You'll rarely have more than ~4 enemies in a clump once you get going, and if you do... just hit them with another Bastille. *shrug*

Note that you can't just throw out two Bastilles to hold twice as many enemies. Any enemy caught in both will count towards the target cap of both Bastilles. So really you're okay with low range and low strength (throw two side-by-side), but with lots of range you need a decent amount of strength and/or the Repelling Bastille augment.  

Note that you can't just throw out two Bastilles to hold twice as many enemies. Any enemy caught in both will count towards the target cap of both Bastilles.

How certain are you of this?

Some imperfect testing in the Simulacrum (darn enemies won't cooperate) shows that it does work, though I can't give you the specifics of how.

Test: 20 level 1 crawlers (though couldn't get agro on all of them). Maxed P Cont and Overextended.

Stack ~9 Bastilles on the same spot, ~3 seconds apart.

(Like I said, imperfect.)

piQNgny.jpg

4wWZlVo.jpg

H1oJw5v.jpg

All the Crawlers get caught. A bunch get uncaught as a Bastille times out, then get re-caught in another Bastille.

Or so it looks to me.

Edited by Chroia

How certain are you of this?

Positive. To be fair, it seems to only have a chance of occurring, rather than occurring every time (which is probably why you still lifted everything, because of overkilling by double, 9 OE Bastilles could lift ~36 enemies). So I suppose rather than an overlapping Bastille being useless its something like 50% less effective, each time - but still not a good habit to get into.

It's also possible they hotfixed it at some point, but I doubt it (woulda been worth a patch note dontcha think?)