Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ammo Gained Per Ammo Pickup Needs To Be A Weapon Stat

[DE]Momaw

So I've hinted at this in the past, but here's a thread for ya.

The amount of ammunition you recover when picking up an ammo pack needs to be a stat specific to each weapon type.  The reason is that currently there is a huge variation in ammo efficiency that doesn't match a weapon's actual performance level. You have some weapons that barely sip ammo but do tremendous damage, like Opticor. These are typically balanced out by clunky magazine size, charge times, slow reloading, or other mechanics.  Then you have other weapons that consume all the ammo you can find and more, like Glaxion. These weapons are not "uber", they cannot match the power of the endgamey meta weapons, so they end up having nearly unsustainable ammo use for basically no payoff. You can use Ammo Mutation and Scavenger aura, yes, but why are we limiting the player's options by imposing effectively mandatory mods for non-uber weapons when the uber weapons do not have such drawbacks?

Rather than struggling to balance rate of fire versus weapon performance, i.e. all rapid-fire weapons must have insane DPS to justify their ammo use, or doing something whacky like introducing "bulk ammo pack" only for high-cyclic sprayers, we should just separate ammo use from weapon performance.  Each weapon should have its own ammo pick up stat.  Basically a built in Ammo Scavenger effect. The high rate of fire weapons would get a bonus to ammo picked up, so they can keep the look and feel of being bullet hoses without their cyclic rate implying mandatory mods needed to keep them functioning.  Ammo economy then becomes something that can be more finely tuned.

i'll agree in principle only, not making a blanket statement for what types of Weapons get extra or less Ammo.

ones that are less Efficient get less Ammo, regardless of how many Bullets per Second they spew.