Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Exalted Blade Makes Excalibur A Living Fluctus And Deafeats The Ability Purpose

Drufo

TL;DR :read underlined parts

Hi everyone! I'm writing this because, after some time to recover from the Excal 2.0 hype (XD) I noticed something wrong with his 4th ability...

When I play with other Excaliburs all I hear is "swoosh-swoosh-swoosh"... this is the sound of the spam. And when I turn to see the origin of this sound, I see this Excal cutting the air, killing hordes of enemies dozens of meters away from him. Obviously I see no one caring for the awesome but unnecessary combos. Not talking about Slash Dash (which has lower range than the waves and still is highly unrelyable) And I have to admit that I, too, ended playing him this way.

But this is not melee combat. This is gun fighting.

The energy wave thing totally ruins the concept of the ability and the warframe itself. The blade is nothing more that a Fluctus with a cool sword skin.

About this, I thought  some solutions:

1)only some moves from some combos create energy waves.

This way you can't spam waves and you have to do specific moves to use them, thus promoting the use of different combos.

2)introduce a charge attack that creates a wave, while every other attack don't.

You could still spam, but it would be slow and not that effective. The wave could cost a bit of energy to discourage the abuse (I'd prefer, but it could not be necessary )

3)only when channeling you create waves, but that comes with more energy consumption, so that you could still spam, but you're more limited and need to think when you can do it

And that's it, tell me what you think ;)

Edited by Drufo

No one ever have had cared about combos, doesn't matter if Exca's Exalted Blade or not. Not even on Valkyr.

I am even trying to avoid the combo row, leaving some pause before the second melee swing, so I am shooting mostly the horizontal energy wave, instead of the, less field covering diagonal and vertical waves.

Slash Dash on it self has a great range, if you know how to mod for damage, efficiency and range without suffering a drawback.

My SD gets round about 35~40 Meters, like my EB Energy Wave.

1.) Everybody will say: No. Me included. It is not the purpose of that skill.

2.) Charged attacks = more damage, you will see people charging all over the place. My EB is just hitting 70~76k crits with a pure damage dragon nikana build. Imagine how Galatine was famous because of its Charge-Damage values. 100k+? Remember? EB + Galatine Charge = ~DE sets a stop sign here~.

3.) Channelling itself does cost a lot of energy already, You will replenish your energy within seconds, because 1 wave, hitting multiple enemies, will accumulate the energy consumption. 1 wave + 1 enemy = 10 energy, 1 wave + 10 enemies = 100 energy, not 10.

TL;DR :read underlined parts

Hi everyone! I'm writing this because, after some time to recover from the Excal 2.0 hype (XD) I noticed something wrong with his 4th ability...

When I play with other Excaliburs all I hear is "swoosh-swoosh-swoosh"... this is the sound of the spam. And when I turn to see the origin of this sound, I see this Excal cutting the air, killing hordes of enemies dozens of meters away from him. Obviously I see no one caring for the awesome but unnecessary combos. Not talking about Slash Dash (which has lower range than the waves and still is highly unrelyable) And I have to admit that I, too, ended playing him this way.

But this is not melee combat. This is gun fighting.

The energy wave thing totally ruins the concept of the ability and the warframe itself. The blade is nothing more that a Fluctus with a cool sword skin.

About this, I thought  some solutions:

1)only some moves from some combos create energy waves.

This way you can't spam waves and you have to do specific moves to use them, thus promoting the use of different combos.

2)introduce a charge attack that creates a wave, while every other attack don't.

You could still spam, but it would be slow and not that effective. The wave could cost a bit of energy to discourage the abuse (I'd prefer, but it could not be necessary )

3)only when channeling you create waves, but that comes with more energy consumption, so that you could still spam, but you're more limited and need to think when you can do it

And that's it, tell me what you think ;)

Nerf mesa 2x is ultimate and then u can nerf excal ok if u are talking in balancing things excal is ok tha way it is it can spam the waves yea but u can only use is true potencial with is radial blind and in some right timing radial javalin is also great for cc so if u just spam u get dmg yea but u dont know too use him

I tend to agree with the OP: the current energy waves destroy the melee feeling.

Indeed, they are powerful. Enough to shade the melee use. Mainly due to the damage tied to them, imo.

I suggested to give them an utilitary role (interrupting effects+ guaranteed procs) with no "direct" damage. (we'd use them to weakens and  disrupt our distant enemies, but couldn't kill them this way => The waves could be larger, faster and affected by range mods).

But your ideas could be good too.

Tie the waves to channeling. Or combos. With special effects.

+1 on the overall feedback.

All the comments saying no... So constructive, it warms the heart to see so many people band together to provide helpful feedback as to why they disagree with OP.

You're one to talk.

I say no, because things to me, are already as tough as it is. I don't spam EB, I use them for emergencies. 

No=leave it alone=it`s fine as it is=constructive

You're one to talk.

I say no, because things to me, are already as tough as it is. I don't spam EB, I use them for emergencies. 

It's not fine as it is, DE set out to make Swordframe, and they completely failed. Those of us who still hold out hope for him to be Swordframe should be able to post opinions without fear of the backlash shown in this thread.

And you are probably the one who skips all comments, reading the last one, assuming everybody has just commenting with "no" and that is it?

Ah well, you might use this afterwards as well, just in case:

Sorry I'm not pedantic enough to put ''All the comments except one''.

...Those of us who still hold out hope for him to be Swordframe should be able to post opinions without fear of the backlash shown in this thread.

Do I look like I'm trying to murder OP for sharing his opinion? Even if it may affect Excalibur's success rate in game?

Some here maybe. But you seem to be using "criticism" and "backlash" interchangeably.

Also, your first comment isn't helping anyone but add fuel to the fire.

Do I look like I'm trying to murder OP for sharing his opinion? Even if it may affect Excalibur's success rate in game?

Some here maybe. But you seem to be using "criticism" and "backlash" interchangeably.

Also, your first comment isn't helping anyone but add fuel to the fire.

My comment wasn't directly solely at you, please don't think it was. By backlash I meant the comments that have since been removed.

My point is, simply posting no or questioning why people ask for nerfs isn't constructive. Again, not directed at you. No one should post what they believe are suitable tweaks and face such vehement opposition from the community without reason.

I actually agree with the OP, to a degree. Yes it's fun being extremely powerful and shooting waves of energy that travel massive distances and pierce through enemies and terrain, but the fact that it's used as a gun more often than an actual sword is very unfitting as a swordsman's ultimate ability. Perhaps the energy waves should take some effort to achieve (such as the combos that no one bothers using anyway) but be made much more powerful to compensate.

Ahh, but butthurt is omnipresent. Weapon viable for endgame but op on map? Nerf it. Doesn't matter it will become useless for vet players. Excal finally viable for endgame? Nerf him. Doesn't matter that he'll be shelfed again.

So what that his waves have 40m punch through and good damage. He's still very susceptible for damage from every direction. Valkyr deals good damage on her ult, and she's TOTALLY IMMORTAL. If you're ok with that, but not ok with Excal, than your opinion is void.

So without the waves, what is the reason to use Exalted Blade? You could just use Scindo Prime to deal even more dmg instead?
And no, auto parry is not worth it, because u will die quickly in high level if you dont rely on blind anyway, and outside of high level, abilities have no importance whatsoever because of defense mods, so any change is completely pointless.

If anything, this thread should be about buffing Radial Javelin, not nerfing a core part of a frame that is currently not even useful in any organized high level play, and outclassed by many other frames in high level solo.

I actually agree with the OP, to a degree. Yes it's fun being extremely powerful and shooting waves of energy that travel massive distances and pierce through enemies and terrain, but the fact that it's used as a gun more often than an actual sword is very unfitting as a swordsman's ultimate ability. Perhaps the energy waves should take some effort to achieve (such as the combos that no one bothers using anyway) but be made much more powerful to compensate.

Well as a new player without many mods excal is really weak I have trouble killing lvl 20 enemys with his fourth ability. Just because you've been playing for years and have all the meta mods maxed doesn't mean you should make him near useless for guys like me. So in short this is a bad idea and would be harmful to the community.

personally I think excalibur is fine as he is. The new power changes make him very entertaining to play now in my opinion.

on a side note :fluctus? as in an area covered by outflow from a volcano?

I don't think these adjustments you recommend would work well, it seems it would religate excalibur back to the mastery fodder he's been for many players already. Now he will get some play time.

Um I disagree. It gives him a way to weaken and kill incoming enemies and kill the tough ones that survive, as well as take down nullifier bubbles.

You overlook the fact that there are people who enjoy this style of combat, and your view of 'swordframe' may not necessarily coincide with their's.

At higher levels it's good that he can engage in ranged combat as getting to close or surrounded will shred you.

You could call for reduced range. But overall he's fine.

Well as a new player without many mods excal is really weak I have trouble killing lvl 20 enemys with his fourth ability. Just because you've been playing for years and have all the meta mods maxed doesn't mean you should make him near useless for guys like me. So in short this is a bad idea and would be harmful to the community.

Also, this.

Valkyr is a complete melee frame, that`s why her ult sucks, it has terrible damage, and very damn low range cap and slow ASF, also terrible combos while we`re at it, she`s viable for missions that need survivor not killing, exterminate:bring her in she`ll rock the heck out of them, survival: put her in the f***ing garbage where she belongs, she can`t kill quickly to get air and it runs out under 20

the changes OP suggested will make him the same as her, excpet that he can`t even be immune to damage while running to enemies, his auto block is only effective on projectiles coming from his front, and it drains stamina, meaning he can`t afford to run around like valkyr to melee them, and if he does, since he is vulnerable to all damage types from his back, he`ll get rekt when trying to kill a single enemy, also, nullifier, i`ll leave this line here.

If they added damage immunity to his ult, then I`ll agree with OP, until then, leave cal alone.