Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Is Still Missing Something

Deidaku

Hey guys  so here's the deal

The main problem imo with warframe's melee system is that is uses only 1 button . you're supposed to execute a variety of moves by using one button...+ don't get me started with the short time span you get to do so + it being modified with attack speed mods , which messes up your timing even more + lag+ litterally no  visual feedback or signal to branch combos.

Here's my suggestion : we add another button in melee mode to diversify the input for combos :  the reload button. R in most cases.

I had been looking for  games with a dual button input melee system  to prove my point then I remembered this gem:

S4 league katana .

This is imo proof that warframe could only benefit from such a system. 

Moreover De said they'd bring back charge attacks at some points in the future. So it would become kind of necessary to have another button for heavy/alternate/charge melee attacks

thoughts?

two things

A) that vertical sword spinning attack thing is totally rad and we need it in warframe immediately

B) why is that poor girl squeaking like a rubber duck whenever she swings her sword

A) totally agreed

B) because Korean game I think x)

2) Asia, don b racist

I really would have preferred a heavy-light combo system for Warframe's melee combat, and I'm hoping that the reintroduction of charged attacks will give us something like this. Trying to tie everything to one button leaves melee combos feeling very unresponsive as there's no decent feedback for how quickly or slowly I'm supposed to be tapping the button to do the thing I want to do. Furthermore, the combo animations often come at the sacrifice of forward momentum, meaning that instead of feeling fluid and free form, melee feels clunky and immobilizing. 

The channeling mechanic feels equally useless, heavily favoring specific weapons and almost never justifying the energy cost for the returns. It doesn't feel like a really polished mechanic at all. 

Oh, S4 (Stylish eSper Shooting Sport) League, it brings so many memories...

Melee combat there was so erratic with n00b players going berzerk with their plasma swords and Pro-players just dead stopping them with that sword-and-giant-glove duo (only melee weapon capable of blocking and stunning opponent while doing it), creating mountains of grieve and "ban gauntlet!" flame wars.

Still, this game really encourage out-of-box tactics, learning your weapons and timing your key presses (and was almost unplayable with high lag, even with its "peer-to-peer" system)

I'd be down for a dual button layout for melee, heavy-light as Acos called it-- with any luck charge attacks will work off another button(reload's lookin' mighty fine this time of year) rather than just breaking all the "hold" attacks in stances.

Off-topic: S4's still probably the best anime-styled TPS for any kind of melee focused player, and pretty fun in general-- shame the community is either hilariously toxic, hilariously bad, or hilariously laggy(peer-to-peer netcode)-- or a combination of all three... most of the time.

The thing melee is missing is freedom. You either mash the same attack or do preset combos that practically lock you in place. There's no flow. There's no experimentation and there's barely any control.

If there's no control ...There's no freedom......>_>

2) Asia, don b racist

I really would have preferred a heavy-light combo system for Warframe's melee combat, and I'm hoping that the reintroduction of charged attacks will give us something like this. Trying to tie everything to one button leaves melee combos feeling very unresponsive as there's no decent feedback for how quickly or slowly I'm supposed to be tapping the button to do the thing I want to do. Furthermore, the combo animations often come at the sacrifice of forward momentum, meaning that instead of feeling fluid and free form, melee feels clunky and immobilizing. 

The channeling mechanic feels equally useless, heavily favoring specific weapons and almost never justifying the energy cost for the returns. It doesn't feel like a really polished mechanic at all. 

It is a Korean game....

Channelling isn't bad at all

I just think that it shoudln't have killed charge attacks. the 2 aren't completely incopatible

I have been saying this from day one of Melee 2.0.

I have a selection of choice words about Warframe's community, but I won't be sharing them just yet.

E - slash attack (deals mainly slash damage) 

R - thrust attack (deals mainly puncture attack)

Q - pommel strike/ kick (deals mainly impact damage)

Melee input is only valid when switched to melee weapon/ only carrying melee weapon

there can be combos depending on command list input
for example

E + R + Q (Coptering)
E + R (Heavy vertical downward cut)
E + Q (Lift/ Launcher, send enemy flying into mid air)
E + Mouse 2 (throw attack dealing mainly slash and impact)
R + Mouse 2 (throw attack dealing mainly puncture)

E - slash attack (deals mainly slash damage) 

R - thrust attack (deals mainly puncture attack)

Q - pommel strike/ kick (deals mainly impact damage)

Melee input is only valid when switched to melee weapon/ only carrying melee weapon

there can be combos depending on command list input

for example

E + R + Q (Coptering)

E + R (Heavy vertical downward cut)

E + Q (Lift/ Launcher, send enemy flying into mid air)

E + Mouse 2 (throw attack dealing mainly slash and impact)

R + Mouse 2 (throw attack dealing mainly puncture)

Exactly

there's like so many possibilities.

sure it would take a lot of time to animate

but it would be worth it

Or the melee stances could be just changed to have like, two base attacks and branch off from alternate combinations of the buttones, either by repeating the same or pressing the other.

The animations and attacks are already there, it's only a matter of redoing the inputs. 

Exactly

there's like so many possibilities.

sure it would take a lot of time to animate

but it would be worth it

I kind of based the system off Soul Calibur's, though for Warframe I would say it feels more Ninja Gaiden

Galatine vs Bo ?

For launcher that throws into midair I was thinking of a izuna drop which the warframe do some mid air combo and

plunge the enemy into ground.

Oh, S4 (Stylish eSper Shooting Sport) League, it brings so many memories...

Melee combat there was so erratic with n00b players going berzerk with their plasma swords and Pro-players just dead stopping them with that sword-and-giant-glove duo (only melee weapon capable of blocking and stunning opponent while doing it), creating mountains of grieve and "ban gauntlet!" flame wars.

Still, this game really encourage out-of-box tactics, learning your weapons and timing your key presses (and was almost unplayable with high lag, even with its "peer-to-peer" system)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOld memories... I come from "Alaplaya"

OP:

Yes yes yes!

Melee need more love...

As someone who mains Dragon Nikana...