The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Amprex Build

kswong98

Question

can be weird, but i use Critical delay in place of Heavy Caliber, because this can save some ammo, plus increase the amount of red criticals (149%)

and... ironically, i use Shred, in place of Hammer Shot, that remove the critical delay's penalty. but give punchthrough, useful if you hit more than 1 target each time, because the Amprex will jump against even more enemies at same time

its not the best DPS against single or fewer targets, but can be useful against lower enemy levels, when you can kill them really fast

and the elemental damage, i use:

stormbringer against infested and corpus

hellfire against orokin and grinner

Edited by Zeyez

Take off hammer shot. You'll do more damage having a 90% damage elemental mod on. I wouldn't use sinister reach either as I find it unnecessary and do fine without it. It'd be better to have yet another elemental mod for more damage.

The build I use is serration, heavy cal, split chamber, vital sense, point strike, rime rounds, malignant force, and thermite rounds. You can change out the last 3 mods for the 90% ones, but I like having a high status chance on my amprex.

can be weird, but i use Critical delay in place of Heavy Caliber, because this can save some ammo, plus increase the amount of red criticals (149%)

and... ironically, i use Shred, in place of Hammer Shot, that remove the critical delay's penalty. but give punchthrough, useful if you hit more than 1 target each time, because the Amprex will jump against even more enemies at same time

its not the best DPS against single or fewer targets, but can be useful against lower enemy levels, when you can kill them really fast

and the elemental damage, i use:

stormbringer against infested and corpus

hellfire against orokin and grinner

Punch-through working on those kind of weapons is a myth, use Sinister Reach.

I use the second one, never tried a status build..maybe I should.

I cant live without sinister reach...its why I use weapons like Amprex in the first place...kill everything in the map while aiming at the pod.

guess whats my secondary weapon?

Take off hammer shot. You'll do more damage having a 90% damage elemental mod on. I wouldn't use sinister reach either as I find it unnecessary and do fine without it. It'd be better to have yet another elemental mod for more damage.

The build I use is serration, heavy cal, split chamber, vital sense, point strike, rime rounds, malignant force, and thermite rounds. You can change out the last 3 mods for the 90% ones, but I like having a high status chance on my amprex.

Try Sinister reach once and you'll know :D

I only add the 5th and 6th Forma today, before that, the build which I have been using almost a year I don't have Sinister Reach on it, everything changed after I used Atomos

No rifle ammo mutation, into the trash they go

Ammo mutation mods are basically a wasted mod slot. If you had more damage you'd save bullets by killing things faster and you have a secondary and melee weapon you can switch to. Some of the secondary weapons are just as good if not better than the primaries (Vaykor marelok just for example) and you can use those for a bit till you get some ammo for your primary and switch back to it.

I think Ammo Mutation is a handy mod to use as "training wheels" for the Amprex, because at first the temptation is to "spray" with it (because it's fun); but eventually you learn to use the Amprex as a precision "burst" weapon, and then you can get along without Ammo Mutation and have no ammo problems.

Heavy Caliber and Sinister Reach are the real alternatives here.  And I think when you use the Amprex as a precision burst weapon, you understand why, in most circumstances, the extra range and coverage of Sinister Reach is worth the paper dps loss, and the precision/range loss from Heavy Caliber is usually not worth the paper dps gain. 

Not all circumstances though - obviously maps with lots of corridor work won't benefit from the range and precision, in that case you're using it more like a shotgun, in which case, swap Sinister Reach for Heavy Caliber if you can be bothered - also if you're boss killing, prob best to go HC too.

But I think about 80% of the time you're going to be keeping Sinister Reach in there.

Edited by Omnimorph

Amprex is my most used weapon, I have seven forma on it just because I was experimenting with some silly stuff, and wanted to try pretty much every build possible. 

Out of the ones you list I would go with the second one. That has the usual expected mods like Serration, Heavy Caliber, Split Chamber, Vital Sense, Point Strike and 2 x90% elementals. That last slot is whatever you want it to be. Sinister Reach is okay, personally I prefer bringing an Ammo Mutation, or another 90% elemental in that slot, but it's just preference. Sinister Reach is really on lower level where the higher dps doesn't matter because it will just melt entire rooms. 

I don't really like punch through on the amp after a lot of experiments and I'm not a fan of critical delay, Hammer Shot needs a buff in general. Status isn't that great on the Amp either. 

Your second build is what I used to use before I stopped using SR so much, but it's still very close. That's what I would go with. 

Burst fire and trigger discipline helps a lot though to mitigate the issue, but ammo is it's biggest drawback, and for that reason I slot ammo mutation if I know I am going to be going really far into endless. Because at that point I'd rather be able to use my gun more often than have a little more DPS. 

Why not just use warframe-builder to check DPS and stuff? I did the hassle for you and can say the second build is the best with highest DPS.

Dear Tenno, DPS isn't everything

Utility is important too

Moreover, experience of other players can give you a better grip of what you want

Why not just use warframe-builder to check DPS and stuff? I did the hassle for you and can say the second build is the best with highest DPS.

Dear Tenno, DPS isn't everything

Utility is important too

Moreover, experience of other players can give you a better grip of what you want