Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do We Start As Excalibur After Ending A Mission?

superbot34

probably something less than 0.1% of this community will notice, but after update 14 came out you load up as a default excalibur when you come back from a mission, the time you are displayed as excalibur depends on your internet connection. it could be never if it's working well. 

i know for a fact this changed at update 14, because i would always start out as my current warframe every single time and i would never appear as a basic excalibur. like i said, a little quirk in this game that hardly anyone will ever realize ;) 

Edited by superbot34

no, i mean why do we show up as excalibur in the first place. lag is a factor, but why would it load up the default excalibur instead of the frame you were using? 

I think it may be because all frames were done based on that model.

This.

Excal is the base/placeholder frame.

Lag/heavy CPU/HD use makes it take Warframe longer to, idk the term, 'repopulate'. Long enough for you to notice despite the 'fade in from black' when loading back into the Liset.

Edited by Chroia

i'll say it again because i don't think you understood me. 

it didn't happen before update 14, now it does. 

This.

Excal is the base/placeholder frame.

Lag/heavy CPU/HD use makes it take Warframe longer to, idk the term, 'repopulate'. Long enough for you to notice despite the 'fade in from black' when loading back into the Liset.

wrong. didn't happen before update 14. 

Edited by superbot34

Actually, probably both are correct. 

It's entirely possible that in U14, DE changed how they handle long-responding clients, and in choosing between caching a user's data client-side, hanging the system until the client responds, or showing the most general, well known frame, chose the lesser of the evils.

User-side caching is not a good idea for many reasons (exploits, security).

Hanging the system makes people think their computer is broken.

Showing excalibur allows DE to have a "loading" model in a sense.  

The video you posted is indicative of a oh-crap-we-dont-have-a-connection-quick-show-something-so-the-user-isnt-scared method of handling the situation. I've used similar techniques myself ;) 

Since Excal is the default, I guess it just loads as him first.

Actually, I think the oldest frame you have is the default. I started with Excalibur, then bought rhino prime access. I then sold Excalibur. Now, when I sell a non-prime frame to make room for their golden counterpart (e.g. volt for volt p), and have the frame equipped, I get popped into Rhino, even though I now have another Excalibur. 

But that's fairly off topic d:

i'll say it again because i don't think you understood me. 

it didn't happen before update 14, now it does. 

You've never lagged bad enough in U6 that all you had was a headless Excalibur? Nice net.

Excal is the default frame. I have no idea how warframe is coded but I would assume everything is based off of Excalibur, so when you log in/ load your frame, etc it loads excal, then loads all of the other meshes, colors, stats and weps on top of it.

then again I am not a coder.

Excal is the default frame. I have no idea how warframe is coded but I would assume everything is based off of Excalibur, so when you log in/ load your frame, etc it loads excal, then loads all of the other meshes, colors, stats and weps on top of it.

then again I am not a coder.

all of you guys keep repeating that even though the OP said that isn't it. it has nothing to do with that. i also think he meant update 17 not 14, because for me it only started happening after update 17. 

It happens because most user data is stored server side. To perform certain actions like fusing mod/selling items/equipping your client sends request to server. Only when server responds, action is performed. To put it simply, such actions are impossible without connection to server. Simply walking around in liset does not require that and is processed fully on client. That action can be performed without connection to server. So, here when you return from mission, liset is loaded on client as well as your warframe except information what warframe is currently on isn't kept on client. At that point in time your client may still be slow on getting data for server, so information on what warframe is curerntly equipped may be delayed. So instead of showing nothing, your client loads default model and default texture as a placeholder. When server responds what you are dressed like now, client updates model.

TL;DR

This excal is placeholder model.

It was not appearing before either because warframe model data was kept locally or there were no such stability issues.

Edited by Aedwynn

• 1 month later...

I don't have normal Excal, start with Volt.

This might be the same case for the frame that appears in the login screen.

Which was usually the last frame you've equipped but sometimes it's Excal instead.

Not that one though.

Edited by Dartiel