Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions From A R20, 3400Hr+ Who Helps New Players Into Warframe

SnakeWildlife

This is a bunch of collective feedback for you, from not only myself but common feedback i get constantly from the many people i invite into Warframe. Put into 1 post.

----

Game issues:

1. Grakata sounds nowhere near as good or threatening as it used to. We miss the old sound. New version sounds like a silenced Potato gun.

2. Parkour 2.0 after getting used to it, is great we love everything apart from 1 thing, the hippety hoppety cricket wallclimb and wallrun. Our opinion: Keep everything, but bring back the old running Wall-run when people HOLD down the jump button, and keep the hippety hoppity wallclimbing only if players are tapping the jump button repeatedly.

3. Weapon Balance going too far astray in PvE. Example: How Ogris, the slowest launcher, is vastly outperformed by rapid-fire alternatives like Penta, Kulstar, Tokar etc. We feel a Damage Review is needed not just for sniper weapons, but across the board, NOT a changing of weapon Rank requirements. i know you mentioned weapon rank changes in the stream, but take my opinion on this, youre only harming new players, and not effecting the old (no positive side to that sort of change)

Progression Problems:

1. You nerfed the drop rate of Forma's because of a minority...yet very vocal group of people nagging you to, when in fact in many peoples cases, they have a huge shortage of Forma. Im a R20.6 eeearly beta player who likes to 4-6 Forma everything...and having spent over 4500 Platinum on Forma's ON TOP of heavy-farming Forma's in game over a long period of time....i can with great evidence tell you that this nerf was done with great misinformation. Please roll-back the nerf to Forma drop rates, or place them somewhere else where people can actually get some.

2. Most people i invite to the game, upon learning more, are constantly expressing that they are upset about vital mods like Serration, arent showing up until they reach their 3rd, 4rth or even 5th planet! This makes the beginning of the game for them, a cruel 'everyone is doing damage but me' giving Warframe not the best first impression to them, and leaving many players resorting to (and this is what i have to do, and a lot of people here will say the same) ferry them to later planets OR rush them to Rank 2 in order for me to gift them a slightly Ranked up Serration, Vitality, Redirection and Hornet Strike, just so they can actually start feeling like theyre not useless to other players (theyre saying that, not me, thats just how they feel). This damages peoples first impressions of the game. I do my best to pull them out of that start abyss, in most cases when i help people get out of that dark start, theyre a LOT happier then-on forwards!

3. Having been there myself, one of my top complaints is that you dont start with enough Warframe slots and weapon slots. Granted you guys need an income and your free-2-play is business model is MWAH! perfection, the best iv seen in all the land and second to none, but people are unable to craft basic starter Dual-Weapons and very quickly find themselves unable to trade out weapons because theyre crafting meterials for others and need to be kept, wasting the space they need. new players end up being completely stuck.

Starter slots: 2 Warframe, 8 Weapon

Can we not change this to:

Starter slots: 3 Warframe, 14 Weapon ???

This allows new players better early-game freedom of choice, aswel as making it possible to access weapons like Akjagara which require an unfair amount of slots vacant, just to allow you to craft a weapon which only really consumes 1 slot in the end result. Even if you increase it to 14 Weapon slots, people obviously will STILL need more eventually which is where they spend platinum, very happily so! but for a new player, with 8 weapon slots? You cant even get off the ground with that.

4. XP gain in Archwing is far too slow, without the aid of someone who has already leveled up the extreeeemely slow and hard way. It takes a cruelly harshe amount of time and effort just to level up something once in space, especially after you nerfed the Elytrons #3 power, making him almost useless. Elytron was rly only good for interception, and interception....is the only real way to gain any good Xp in space.

XP gain in Archwing, needs a review and most importantly, a significant increase.

5. All of the new players i help build up into strong fighting tenno are constantly poking me, upset that they dont have access to vital mods which will make them keep up in end-game. It pains to tell them 'they cant get them' when i dont have a good reason to tell them why not. These mods include:

Buzz Kill, Breach Loader, Full Contact, Fanged Fussilade, Piercing Caliber, Auger Strike. etc etc, the rest of this collection of mods.

I cannot give them a satisfying answer whenever they ask me about it ^^;;

Edited by SnakeWildlife

Good points all.

My biggest beef with Warframe is that the staff seem schizophrenic at times. This is NOT an insult by the way. Few people can doubt that Steve and Scott at the very least and probably Geoff and others BELIEVE in what they are doing, what they are trying to make. But with so many minds working on things, the communication WILL be sporadic at times.

The PC players are playtesting this game for the consoles. I understand that and accept it. It can be INCREDIBLY infuriating at times but Warframe is worth it in my opinion. Content will be added as swiftly as they can make it to entice people into buying it. This is how they make a large portion of their money. No money=no game. the new content will not always work right. In a perfect universe, everything would come out right the first time with no glitches at all. We do not LIVE in a perfect universe.

Now, before anyone pulls out the stereotype brush, I AM NOT a white knight. I DETEST some of what DE has done to what I considered the best parts of the game. They have not focused on what I personally consider to be the most important aspect of a game with 'ninja' in the description (stealth) and that makes me unhappy at times.

But all in all? Warframe beat ANY other F2P game I have played without even trying. Heck, it beats more than a few AAA titles I have tried.

All that said, good points, OP. We can hope that the rarest of the rare mods make a comeback when the Void goes 'Boom' and the Sentients show up.

Edited by Kalenath

Don't ever tell 'em about those "vital" mods. Noone of this stuff is really vital. What is that "end-game" anyway? Most of my newbie friends enjoy this game even without serration and all those event mods. They are good, but they are not essential.

You don't need many mods to survive 20 minutes or defend 20 waves with full team comp. You actually don't need any of those event mods. So if you can do this - you can get almost everything at this game. Simple.

Most of my friends don't ever know about existance of those mods. Are they happy? Yes. Are they happy when I farm Ash P BP with them? Yes.

You got all your r10 mods ranked up and dropped your own way, I guess. Let 'em do the same. That's part of the game. One of most important ones. Don't ruin their game.

Edited by Nesit1

What is that "end-game" anyway?

Ehhh well it depends and is subjective.

Some people want to collect everything and see a big shiny 100% Completion above their name.

Some people want to have the strongest combination of mods to allow them to fight level 200+ enemies and say they lived to tell the tale.

It depends who you ask. But a lot of the answers, means you need those mods. I cannot stop them finding this stuff on the Wiki. they've actually been finding out about these mods, entirely on their own steam.

Edited by SnakeWildlife

Don't ever tell 'em about those "vital" mods. Noone of this stuff is really vital. What is that "end-game" anyway? Most of my newbie friends enjoy this game even without serration and all those event mods. They are good, but they are not essential.

You don't need many mods to survive 20 minutes or defend 20 waves with full team comp. You actually don't need any of those event mods. So if you can do this - you can get almost everything at this game. Simple.

Most of my friends don't ever know about existance of those mods. Are they happy? Yes. Are they happy when I farm Ash P BP with them? Yes.

You got all your r10 mods ranked up and dropped your own way, I guess. Let 'em do the same. That's part of the game. One of most important ones. Don't ruin their game.

Well said.

I TRULY wish more people thought that way.

Last I checked it was a GAME, right? Something you do for ENJOYMENT?

I enjoy Warframe and I will continue to play as long as I do. It is not for everybody and some of the decision DE makes seem to make no sense at all. Probably because we do not know everything that is coming. (Or maybe they had a collective brain fart day. It happens.)

Problem is the gap between new players and "mid tier" to "high tier" content players are slowly widening....and the gap is not being filled, at all.
DE has to rethink their tutorial phase and ease the players in, because after Howl of the Kubrow, I find most players just.... lost. 
At least baby sit the new players into the game so that they might spend more time playing and working towards something. 
Most MMOs have a guided quest system while Warframe has an open ended "Do it whenever" quest system. 

Problem is the gap between new players and "mid tier" to "high tier" content players are slowly widening....and the gap is not being filled, at all.

DE has to rethink their tutorial phase and ease the players in, because after Howl of the Kubrow, I find most players just.... lost. 

At least baby sit the new players into the game so that they might spend more time playing and working towards something. 

Most MMOs have a guided quest system while Warframe has an open ended "Do it whenever" quest system. 

The tutorials DO need to be expanded.

Some players find having their hands held annoying. Others don't.

That said? If someone asks for help and isn't annoying about it, I will give it if I can. If someone starts whining about how they 'deserve' things that they haven't earned (event weapons specifically) and 'should be carried through a Nightmare Raid because they deserve it' (actual quotes btw) they earn a one way ticket to 'ignore'.

I like helping people. It makes me feel good. But there ARE limits.

Edited by Kalenath

The tutorials DO need to be expanded.

Some players find having their hands held annoying. Others don't.

That said? If someone asks for help and isn't annoying about it, I will give it if I can. If someone starts whining about how they 'deserve' things that they haven't earned (event weapons specifically) and 'should be carried through a Nightmare Raid because they deserve it' (actual quotes btw) they earn a one way ticket to 'ignore'.

I like helping people. It makes me feel good. But there ARE limits.

Much agreed.  I generally help them to Rank 2, trade them vital start mods, open up a few planets for them so they can get out of the start pit, and after that, they start enjoying it a lot more and i just let them fly out the nest.

The only thing I could add is my own frustration at changes made to frames/abilities/weapons that have been the same for extremely long periods of time (sometimes years) being described as "now working as intended" and the like.

Also, they could do to cut back on the knee-jerk thoughtless, untested nerfs or "fixes" to new releases. I'm not saying don't change anything, but maybe do it a little bit at a time. If only to gauge community opinion after each change, eventually settling on final statistics. Anything but the power-nerfs that (to a new player) could wreck something they had put a lot of their resources into. ("A lot" being relative)

Forma and potatoes were few and far between when we all started out, and it would suck to use one and have it wasted when DE changes their mind. (or says "oops") on new releases.

Serration, Flow, Streamline will show up on Apollodius, 20 min - 40 min.

for MR3 it is impossible to even kill enemies at that long into the mission without the help of other players.

The main thing is there is a lot of content which does not have a progression ladder. 

which starter might be confused about.

The Latron which does not have Mastery Rank restriction need Plastids (Saturn being the easiest) to craft

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

i ended up giving out mods and those players actually left after a while, let them do it themself for the experience indeed , i agree

I would also suggest some sort of Raid(or Trial) tutorial or atleast entry possible,

i did raid runs when this feature arrived in first two days none of runs made past first stage, i grew bored of it and now it is nigh impossible to get into one without prior knowledge.

I agree with all of your points OP, tutorial expansion is needed aswell, and I'd like them to add a certain window/tab where you can check the names of all the GoL (maybe redirect you to the post about it, and not an actual IG message) in your region, this would help newer players a lot, most of them don't even know what guides are and what they are here for.

...and now it is nigh impossible to get into one without prior knowledge.

I strongly object to this.

I have been a part of several regular groups, and we often open up the regular raid to players new to it. Our requirements are to have read the wiki for the basics, and to be able to communicate clearly and be able to do as told when it's needed. We also always pin them in non-vital roles for the first few times.

Your point is true for the Nightmare Trial, but that is meant to be impossible. If you haven't cleared the regular raid several times, we are absolutely not failing the nightmare one because of you.

ooooo a brilliant read! and worthwhile feedback! this makes a change on the forums. *pu tum tish* 

Game issue responses: 

1: dont realy use the grakata, but it does sound more like a pop gun now. the grineer are far less intimidating when useing this. (that said, the plink of gunfire near you is still pretty sexy.) 

2: no arguments here. the bunny hop i live with, but would love the original wall run to return. 

3: ehhh i always thought PVE was a mess anyway. any attempts to straighten it out would lead too a uproar of people complaining. i realy wonder how DE copes with all the people who whine when things are brought into a somewhat ballanced scope. (looking at you, S-gamacor whiners) it deffinatly needs doing, and from the looks of it they are doing it weapon class by weapon class (shotguns, snipers are next, then perhaps launchers?) so we shall see. 

Progression problem responses: 

1: thing is, if they left the drop tables on tower 1 defence alone, i am sure people wouldent complain as much. give people a good place to farm forma, the complaints disapear. its fine that you nerfed forma drops on the more important keys, but come on, you took it out of a tower 1 defence rotation A. NOTHING ELSE WORTHWHILE DROPS THERE! if you turned back this change to this specific rotation, i can asure you alot of complaints would vanish. 

2: i aggree vital mods are not given easily, but its not impossible to find them on the begining planets, its just knowing where to look... but there in luys the problem. instead of enjoying the game, your being forced to do a spy mission over and over on mercury because you need seration. now, this gets people into the mindset of farmframe, but its a liiiitle too early to be forceing people into this mindset, its deffinatly off putting. 

not only that, without these necisary mods (as much as people dont wana admit they are necisary) people under perform in later planets by a realy harsh amount. i can tell you from experience. i too help out new players, currently helping a freind get into the game. he has to go through half a clip on his braton to kill a grineer on satern. we managed to get him seration and suddenly its down to five or four bullets to nail them. it makes a BIG difference. 

3: i... cannot complain about this. i am neither for or against it, it would be very generous of DE to perform such a small change. i always advice new players to speand there plat on new warframe slots/weapon slots. 

4: anser is simple. give us some more bloody archwing missions. ): interception is kewl and all, but varity is the spice of life. uranus can now help i belive, i need to go there more, try out a survival in the underwater archwing and see what happens. but again, the gamemode needs alot more varity for it to stand out. 

5: ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh event only mods whilst give a big advantage are not essential too a build.... yeh it makes a gun far more powerfull then the %30 damage mods but still. as it stands, the elemental damage mods and status chance combo mods are avilable from barrow the queer, spy missions and of course, vor in tower 4's. anything else will probably come in time i am sure. but again, they aint essential too make a gun perform relatively well. 

a good read snake :D 

Forma should be very common in T1 and T2 missions. It's the upper level missions that they tend to negatively impact--at least from the veteran player perspective. Although, I do agree with the OP on this matter: senseless whining by a few malcontents has influenced DE to make a bad call on forma drop rates.

Most of the rest of it, yeah, I can see it. I'd quibble over a few points, but I recall my initial experience and the base damage mod issues are the most glaring. Although, availability of things like serration, hornet strike, and even hell's chamber on low level planets is far better than it used to be. However, that isn't readily apparent to a new player and just telling them to run Apollodorus to 20 min a few (dozen) times tends to fall on deaf ears.

The 120% mods aren't for new players and most certainly aren't useful to them. Heck, they're only moderately useful to veteran players with heavily forma'd weapons. New folks don't need them and couldn't use them anyway without the (now missing) forma.

Yeah, those minority players seems prefer orokin cell instead of forma. I am also MR20, and always prefer forma more than prime craps. The nerf of forma drop rate is unexpectedly realized without compansating a higher drop rate of ash p parts. Instead I am suprise the Orokin cell still drop, when I actually have hundreds of them.