Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snipers... We Need To Talk

Heidrek

Ok Categorizing our primaries we have...

- bows are high dmg charge shots

- automatic Rifles are ok dmg with multiple shots
- Semi autos are in the middle 
- shotguns are boomsticks that need middle to close range, 

so where do we put snipers? they need there own categories. IMHO I think shotguns shouldn't have been turned into boomsticks, Falloff in general should just go and Status should have been fixed... Also syndicate modifiers for status should also be fixed... Otherwise they are not worth they're mod slot (looking at you shattering justice). As for snipers I think a nice addition to them would be to have a higher headshot multiplier.

what do you think?

The problem with snipers is this game is about fighting hordes of enemies. Ultimately....snipers should have innate punchthrough, all of them, and...considering the speed of everything in the game, they shouldn't be all about precision damage, and in general should have overall high damage.

damage falloff doesn't seem to be needed in a game like Warframe. All the closed spaces and such.

Defiance is a good example where falloff is pretty relevant. Open world map with giant bosses that you don't want to get too close to unless you want that extra bit of damage.

In defiance every gun has falloff...except for snipers. Maybe it should be as such in Warframe? Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Also just gonna  put this here because snipers.

qPmpEvF.jpg

I've always leaned towards snipers having innate punchthrough as Rikov mentioned, but with the addition of them being red crit weapons. That'd give them a load of damage to deal. Buuuut It'd force players to have crit builds on them as mandatory. And DE doesn't want us to have mandatory mods on so yea.. interestings.

Snipers are getting buffed in U18, as a player that only uses snipers, primarily Lanka, i do think that all snipers need innate punch. I have never had a problem with fighting hordes with a sniper at all it makes it more fun IMO, but they also do need a increase in damage output, rifles have high sustainable damage since they are fully auto, weapons like latron do heavy shots with more control and accuracy and atm shotguns are the sh*t because of their devastating power. The damage multiplier for snipers needs a heavy overhaul on head shots and body shots, you should feel rewarded for taking the time to aim and land a great shot. but thats just me

Red criticals sound like a great way to buff snipers, because in all honesty, they do need it and it very much suits the weapon class. They are behind every other weapon class, even one handed secondaries, DPS wise. In lower tiers of content this can be defended but in endless, sniper weapons are pretty much obsolete because of this, and far earlier than most other weapons of every other category.

I also wouldn't be opposed to allowing sniper weapons as the only ones that can bypass fields. That would give them a unique perk that is highly situational and promote different loadouts, while not being a powercreep-oriented buff. Having a single guy around that can one-hit nullifiers sounds like a great addition and justifies a lower overall DPS. It gives snipers a good reason to sit high and dry on some vantage point and pick off high priority targets.

Edited by V4YR4

Red criticals sound like a great way to buff snipers, because in all honesty, they do need it and it very much suits the weapon class. They are behind every other weapon class, even one handed secondaries, DPS wise. In lower tiers of content this can be defended but in endless, sniper weapons are pretty much obsolete because of this, and far earlier than most other weapons of every other category.

I also wouldn't be opposed to allowing sniper weapons as the only ones that can bypass fields. That would give them a unique perk that is highly situational and promote different loadouts, while not being a powercreep-oriented buff. Having a single guy around that can one-hit nullifiers sounds like a great addition and justifies a lower overall DPS. It gives snipers a good reason to sit high and dry on some vantage point and pick off high priority targets.

the bubble bypass seems like a great idea, taking bubbles down with consecutive sniper shots atm is just dumb

The problem with snipers is this game is about fighting hordes of enemies. Ultimately....snipers should have innate punchthrough, all of them, and...considering the speed of everything in the game, they shouldn't be all about precision damage, and in general should have overall high damage.

I've always leaned towards snipers having innate punchthrough as Rikov mentioned, but with the addition of them being red crit weapons. That'd give them a load of damage to deal. Buuuut It'd force players to have crit builds on them as mandatory. And DE doesn't want us to have mandatory mods on so yea.. interestings.

I don't know about you guys, but I put a shred on all my snipers. 

damage falloff doesn't seem to be needed in a game like Warframe. All the closed spaces and such.

Defiance is a good example where falloff is pretty relevant. Open world map with giant bosses that you don't want to get too close to unless you want that extra bit of damage.

In defiance every gun has falloff...except for snipers. Maybe it should be as such in Warframe? Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Also just gonna  put this here because snipers.

qPmpEvF.jpg

I was looking for more of an idea on weapon diversity without encroaching too much on a weapons niche. As I think falloff damage doesn't make any sense because shotguns already have a lot of spread. It's also odd now that we use shotgun to do a lot of dmg really close up with very long reload times. I pretty much use shotguns on my volt only, if I ever use them.

Edited by Heidrek

as others have said sniper reworking is coming U18

include features such as marking targets, dynamic reticles, and controllable zoom levels plus more improvements for snipers but they are part of other general gameplay changes yet to come

Yeah, buffs for snipers are really needed. Definetly agree with innate punch through and piercing enemies' bubbles.

On another note, wouldn't it be cool to have a sniper with explosive rounds? Kinda like a launcher ( Ogris ) but less splash radius, dealing only blast damage, low crit chance and crit damage but with high status chance. Would be great to kill clusters of small enemies that are not in a line.

But mostly just because it would be cool as hell to fire explosive rounds.

You could also make some that are min damage weapons, you know? Just a lot of base damage with low crit for rainbow setup. Or average it out, so that crit rate + crit power mods give about as much of a damage boost as 2 elemental mods, so that people can decide.

You could also make some that are min damage weapons, you know? Just a lot of base damage with low crit for rainbow setup. Or average it out, so that crit rate + crit power mods give about as much of a damage boost as 2 elemental mods, so that people can decide.

That's have to be avery low crit multiplier then. On the level of barely being worth the effort compared to 4 elemental mods.

However as many other player have said throughout the years, Warframe isn't really a game for snipers. There's no enemy that's safest and best to snipe from afar that constantly come at you, bombards, ancient healers and fusion moas at later lvls? Tigris, the boltor family or secondaries like Rakta Ballistica, Vaykor Marelok or Telos Akbolto makes short work of it. And snipers are useless against nullifiers.

The game also doesn't have standard missions such as Exterminate where the enemy is lvl 200+. There I could see snipers being used somewhat. It's a shame as all of this renders snipers to be a "why bother?" for someone like me who're into speed running and min-maxing things.

initiate puch trough base crit dmg 4x base crit chance 60% snipers need to hit much harder than bows

really not, snipers are moooore easy to use, the arrows have travel time, the snipers no

It's deserve a buff? Sure, but not to outclass the bows