The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Economic Stability

(PSN)thinkfasthippie2

Has anyone else lost thousands (yes literally) of platinum due to, but not limited to things such as... Prime vault inflation, drop table changes, re-availability of certain thought to be exclusive sets of mods/weapons? Please tenno, provide me with your thoughts and answers. How could we make this wonderful games economy more stable?

objects have no value unless you actually get your theoretical value for them.

if you decide to buy up buckets of Gold expecting to sell it later for profit, but end up keeping it in your pocket until Interstellar Mining becomes viable and suddenly the price of Gold dissolves - you didn't ever actually have any value.

whether it's Currency or objects of theoretical value - value doesn't exist until you actually get your exchanged value.

- - - - - 

oh, and by the way, Auction Houses are terrible if you want healthy Economies. the Steam Market is a prime example of how Auction Houses and other things of the sort are a bad thing for a healthy Economy.

This is probably the most stable game economy I have ever seen. It hasn't suffered from the every increasing constant inflation most games experience over the long term because devs are foolish enough to allow players to run the economy unchecked.

Edited by Ceryk

auction house is the easiest solution, people hate auction houses for some bizarre reason though.

Cleaning house and upping the price is probably the main reason. It allows for much easier market manipulation by a wealthy individual, who can then maintain that wealth through repeated price markup.

Prices also become a lot more fixed, which can screw up people trying to gain plat solely by trades.

Those are my guesses at least.

If you're speculating with item values, then you have to take the losses with the gains. I see people selling Frost sets for 500p*. When this vault becomes accessible, that value may plummet, or if it's some massive grindwall nightmare, it may even rise.

If you don't want to be subject to price fluctuations, don't buy or sell for profit. Sell what you don't need when you don't need it, buy what you need when you need it.

edit: *trying to, not necessarily successfully.

Edited by ACorpse

If you're speculating with item values, then you have to take the losses with the gains. I see people selling Frost sets for 500p. When this vault becomes accessible, that value may plummet, or if it's some massive grindwall nightmare, it may even rise.

If you don't want to be subject to price fluctuations, don't buy or sell for profit. Sell what you don't need when you don't need it, buy what you need when you need it.

This. 

OP, it really really sounds to me like what you want is a dynamic economy that allows you to make thousands of platinum, but one that always goes your way.  Which, obviously isn't gonna happen.

If not, I'd like to know how exactly you lost thousands without speculating.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, perhaps I have focussed on the "could haves, should haves and would haves" instead of the did. It is apparent that perceived economic value is a lot different than actual value in this game, perhaps I am looking for something that doesn't exist. Not in the real world economy, or in a games economy. How could an auction house potentially fix the instability of the warframe economy? Can anyone explain?

This is probably the most stable game economy I have ever seen. It hasn't suffered from the every increasing constant inflation most games experience over the long term because devs are foolish enough to allow players to run the economy unchecked.

Except for the massive inflation that hit us with the raise in cosmetic prices.

I also vote for a AH btw. The current system is frickin tiresome and beginner unfriendly. You miss the overview and are stuck to go trough months/years of trading beein ripped off on a regular base to get a feeling for the market.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108