Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is There Still An Afk Penalty

PerishedFraud

So.. DE doesn't want us to play defense, mobile defense, interception... ?

Most players on this missions stay in one place and shoot things....

... thats how those missions are designed...

Probably i should also not play frost with snow globe, limbo with cataclysm, banshee with sound quake, vauban with vortex & bastille, volt with electric shield... and of course mesa with peacemaker (even after change)...

.. some of those abilites forces you to stay in place, other not foces you, but are almost pointless if you cast them and run around instead of staying in place.

So.. whenever I go to such mission or use any of mentioned abilities.. i am "bot-like player"??

Looks like...

Do you also only use ability and not shooting/moving at all? then yes, you are a bot-like player, also killing with your weapon will reset your afk timer even if you're standing still, I have no problem at all using those warframe that you mention.

Edit: I see that you said you were using frost shooting tonkor and got marked as AFK, I got a question, when you say marked  as afk, did you mean you didn't get the end wave reward? were your team gone out to hunt for the last mob in the last 60-120 seconds and you were standing still in the globe? if this is the case, maybe that's why you were marked as afk, because like I said, killing with your weapon will reset your afk timer even if you standing still.

Edited by LotusBF

In a private lobby, with friends, why is it any of your business what's happening? 

Why does it matter to you how my friends play?  They're only here because it's how we hang out since I moved, so you're in no danger of them showing up in your team.  Even if you were, with my suggestion you'd be able to keep the AFK feature active at all times and even if you did get stuck with a bot player, they'll get 'punished'

Keep the current AFK system for PUG's, but give the players the ability to customize private lobbies. 

I think the question is not on player side, it's if DE accept this kind of behavior.. (babysit and cheesy through ranking)

I know people can still do it with xxxxx, but that's another question.

The AFK timer needs some work but the game is lacking other things as well

1 the ablity for the host to remove people from squad be for starting the game without leaving the squad and having to reinvite those the host wanted to keep.

2 once the game starts there is a lack of ability to vote to kick some one from the squad who is cause truolbe or being useless. The sad part about this one is DE does not even have to do the ground work many games have kick systems they could look at a use ideas from.

Because walking 10 feet every 2 minutes is SO difficult. Seriously, guys.

It is! Especially when it catches you off guard and you miss a reward.

Even if the afk system doesn't get changed, we should at least be able to see it!

Like, some text on the bottom of the screen, warning you about the timer and telling you to move it.

Edited by BeeOverlord

the point is that the current afk detection system is crap

i shouldnt be punished for staying still and shooting things from inside my globe as frost

the afk system requires a certain amount of running around, its just funky

5 mins would be fine but 60 secs is stupid

^^

This, the afk system should base inaction by all input sources and not just movement, if im stood next to a pod in defense shooting into a wave then I'm clearly not afk, yet the current system says i am because i havent used the movement keys for a min?

The afk system is good for punishing leachers but it needs to be refined as its currently punishing players who are not afk

2-3 mins to trip the afk flag would be fine, but this has to be based on no input whatsoever, if someone isn't moving but is aiming and firing then they don't get flagged but 2+ minutes of no player input whatsoever triggers the afk flag.

The AFK timer needs some work but the game is lacking other things as well

1 the ablity for the host to remove people from squad be for starting the game without leaving the squad and having to reinvite those the host wanted to keep.

2 once the game starts there is a lack of ability to vote to kick some one from the squad who is cause truolbe or being useless. The sad part about this one is DE does not even have to do the ground work many games have kick systems they could look at a use ideas from.

No vote kick system please, while I know it helps remove undesirable players such as afkers, I've also been in more than one game where this system has been abused to hell and back, typically by elitist jerks who kick a player based on gear, level etc. Edited by Nova73

So.. DE doesn't want us to play defense, mobile defense, interception... ?

Most players on this missions stay in one place and shoot things....

... thats how those missions are designed...

I just played 4 rounds of ODD as an Ember Prime, standing on the pod with WOF running and sniping the healers with my vectis.  Never marked as AFK.   Also did 3 rounds of T4 defense as a Frost, staying inside my globe 95% of the time while I shot at enemies.  Also never marked as AFK.  In fact I can't actually recall ever being marked as AFK. People's assertion that you get marked too easily while playing frames with relatively immobile roles is, as far as I'm concerned, complete nonsense. Every player gets multiple weapons to use and there are only a handful of warframe abilities that prevent you from moving at all. At this point I have a feeling that if somebody showed me a video where they got marked as AFK, I would see a video where they just stood around doing nothing and relying on their team to play for them.

It's not, but we should be allowed to turn off the AFK feature when in private lobbies.  

Again: this won't fly. The anti-afk/anti-bot system exists as a measure to prevent players from getting rewards while not actually playing. It doesn't matter if you personally are okay with your friends leeching off you, or vice versa.... DE isn't okay with it, and so that's why they put this system in place.

There is a high point in ODD? High vantage points don't exist in any Infested mission, courtesy of DE.

there are actually few of them (with top of the objective being just a simplest one

As for EV spam. Just kill your EV targets with your weapons, that SHOULD reset the AFK timer.

oh I'm sorry that my weapon is not oneshooting anything on 30+ survival and that I have no time for anything more than one shot between casts of all 3 skills "in rotation" to keep myself alive and team supplied with energy

also mind you I'm basing here on my own researching in matter of said afk system which were conducted some time ago - things could have changed since then even if DE forgot to mention any change to said system in patch notes (actually they kinda often forgets about stuff in patch notes)

I mean - we were killing stuff with weapons while immobile and we were flagged as afk when conducting these tests - maybe they changed it so killing with weapons resets the timer (without mentioning in patch notes) but we haven't recently time to conduct additional tests to check it out

[btw it would be nice if DE was more open with how some things works....]

ah and notification would be really nice for it - even something like "you were marked as afk"/"you are no longer marked as afk" posted to your chat window could do....

^^

This, the afk system should base inaction by all input sources and not just movement, if im stood next to a pod in defense shooting into a wave then I'm clearly not afk, yet the current system says i am because i havent used the movement keys for a min?

The afk system is good for punishing leachers but it needs to be refined as its currently punishing players who are not afk

2-3 mins to trip the afk flag would be fine, but this has to be based on no input whatsoever, if someone isn't moving but is aiming and firing then they don't get flagged but 2+ minutes of no player input whatsoever triggers the afk flag.

No vote kick system please, while I know it helps remove undesirable players such as afkers, I've also been in more than one game where this system has been abused to hell and back, typically by elitist jerks who kick a player based on gear, level etc.

Yea I have seen that my self but by using a system that limits how often you can star a vote to kick base in how often you use it helps reduse the risk of that

All those people who protect the AFK system are naive.

OMG YOU'RE A BOT IF YOU STAND IN ONE PIECE!

XD. Really? That's the best you can do? A bot cannot move 5m every 60 seconds? Yes, surely, that won't bypass the God-Tier AFK system at all!

AFK system needs a total rework. Not praise for something it doesn't do.

So when I do 60% of the damage, 40% of the kills, protect the pod and spam restores for the team I'm an A****** because I forgot to move? Buddy, you need to rethink your priorities if that's what you call AFKing.

So when I do 60% of the damage, 40% of the kills, protect the pod and spam restores for the team I'm an A****** because I forgot to move? Buddy, you need to rethink your priorities if that's what you call AFKing.

And how do you suggest that the game differentiate between a player that does that, and a bot that runs a script that reads "nuke; wait 10s; nuke; wait 10s; nuke; wait 10s; energy restore; repeat"

And how do you suggest that the game differentiate between a player that does that, and a bot that runs a script that reads "nuke; wait 10s; nuke; wait 10s; nuke; wait 10s; energy restore; repeat"

Because at least the bot is doing something. The current afk system works if you don't move or kill. If you can't make a kill or move, then you are useless in a fight.

Edit: I see that you said you were using frost shooting tonkor and got marked as AFK, I got a question, when you say marked  as afk, did you mean you didn't get the end wave reward?

Fortunatelly no. That never happens to me.

Just.. carrier stop sucking things and shoot anything, i stop getting XP (affinity) for other player kills. That happens when you are marked as AFK.

were your team gone out to hunt for the last mob in the last 60-120 seconds and you were standing still in the globe? if this is the case, maybe that's why you were marked as afk, because like I said, killing with your weapon will reset your afk timer even if you standing still.

And.. you think that this is how this system should work?

Non-afk players must fight with it.. that means "move even if you don't need to move".. while afk-bot-players just add "move left.. move right.. repeat every 30 seconds" into their scripts?

That is BAD system.

Do you also only use ability and not shooting/moving at all? then yes, you are a bot-like player, also killing with your weapon will reset your afk timer even if you're standing still, I have no problem at all using those warframe that you mention.

[...]

were your team gone out to hunt for the last mob in the last 60-120 seconds and you were standing still in the globe? if this is the case, maybe that's why you were marked as afk, because like I said, killing with your weapon will reset your afk timer even if you standing still.

I shoot the things.. and miss many times - team was good, so many enemies were down before my tonkor bullets reach them..

.. Nekros drops large energy retores..

.. i cast about 20 globes in 20-30 seconds (globes health stacks up, it is important in t4 def)

.. than i shoot more things and use offensive frost abbilities

.. this repeats 2-3 times in round..

I do not move at all.. not necessary... and dangerous (corrupted bombard AOE can kill eaisly if you are not near center of globe - even with maxed range)..

I cannot tell if / how many enemies i kill.. i certainly damage some..

.. at some point i notice i do not see floating number around (XP / affinity from team kills)..

.. and carrier do not suck rare resource just near me...

.. so according to game i was afk..

.. do you really think i was AFK?????

If you think that i was afk.. than end of topic.. i have nothing more to say to "persuade" you.

If you think.. that i was not afk..

.. that means this system is bad and need rework.

Edit: wrong colors

Edited by SmerfMaruda

I just played 4 rounds of ODD as an Ember Prime, standing on the pod with WOF running and sniping the healers with my vectis.  Never marked as AFK.   Also did 3 rounds of T4 defense as a Frost, staying inside my globe 95% of the time while I shot at enemies.  Also never marked as AFK.  In fact I can't actually recall ever being marked as AFK. People's assertion that you get marked too easily while playing frames with relatively immobile roles is, as far as I'm concerned, complete nonsense. Every player gets multiple weapons to use and there are only a handful of warframe abilities that prevent you from moving at all. At this point I have a feeling that if somebody showed me a video where they got marked as AFK, I would see a video where they just stood around doing nothing and relying on their team to play for them.

Happens to me quite often in interception..

.. 4 players.. 4 points to secure.. one player per point...

.. sometimes a minute (or more!) between enemy "waves" near my point..

..many times my carrier kills them before me (such kill does not reset timer ;))

Because at least the bot is doing something. The current afk system works if you don't move or kill. If you can't make a kill or move, then you are useless in a fight.

So.. my bless / energy vampire trinity is useless in fight? Sonar banshee too?

Happens to me quite often in interception..

.. 4 players.. 4 points to secure.. one player per point...

.. sometimes a minute (or more!) between enemy "waves" near my point..

..many times my carrier kills them before me (such kill does not reset timer ;))

So.. my bless / energy vampire trinity is useless in fight? Sonar banshee too?

What part they are doing something, do you not understand?

All those people who protect the AFK system are naive.

OMG YOU'RE A BOT IF YOU STAND IN ONE PIECE!

XD. Really? That's the best you can do? A bot cannot move 5m every 60 seconds? Yes, surely, that won't bypass the God-Tier AFK system at all!

AFK system needs a total rework. Not praise for something it doesn't do.

If a bot can do it, why can't you?

Again: this won't fly. The anti-afk/anti-bot system exists as a measure to prevent players from getting rewards while not actually playing. It doesn't matter if you personally are okay with your friends leeching off you, or vice versa.... DE isn't okay with it, and so that's why they put this system in place.

I personally have never been tagged by the AFK timer either, and I rotate through my 'frames constantly when playing.

But, we don't know how DE feels about the situation I lined out. My friends are still playing, when they can, but if they get called away for work, or even a child emergency, why should they be punished?

I personally have never been tagged by the AFK timer either, and I rotate through my 'frames constantly when playing.

But, we don't know how DE feels about the situation I lined out. My friends are still playing, when they can, but if they get called away for work, or even a child emergency, why should they be punished?

First off, if its a private run sure. If you are with pugs, then why do they have to shoulder it?

Second, we are talking about those who are abusing it, not those who get hit with RL.

First off, if its a private run sure. If you are with pugs, then why do they have to shoulder it?

Second, we are talking about those who are abusing it, not those who get hit with RL.

First off, my initial post covered that it was in private lobbies and that PUG's wouldn't have the ability to turn of the AFK feature.

Second, I was talking about people that had real life situations and not leechers.

First off, my initial post covered that it was in private lobbies and that PUG's wouldn't have the ability to turn of the AFK feature.

Second, I was talking about people that had real life situations and not leechers.

Unless DR separates private and public, the rules apply to all. The afk system currently in place is a direct result if the huge amount if leechers. The afk system is also here because of DE not wanting a kick system of any kind.