Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Kind Of Auction House? [Megathread]

rudman88

Idea: Sorta like an auction house without auctions. Click on "Traders Market" tab to bring up a UI screen. You can list 10 items and desired plat. You must be on your Liset or Relay to accept whispers from people who click "Whisper/Message" on the listing in the "Traders Market" screen. They whisper I want to buy/sell x item/set and you or they invite one another to dojo and trade. This would limit so many items on the market by players having to be logged on to trade stuff and still have that social interaction. This system is just and easier "Trade Tab". Also they could just not add a set plat amount and have the "Traders Market" use keywords to searches for desired items.

Wow that sounds like a huge pain in the @$$.

Idea: Sorta like an auction house without auctions. Click on "Traders Market" tab to bring up a UI screen. You can list 10 items and desired plat. You must be on your Liset or Relay to accept whispers from people who click "Whisper/Message" on the listing in the "Traders Market" screen. They whisper I want to buy/sell x item/set and you or they invite one another to dojo and trade. This would limit so many items on the market by players having to be logged on to trade stuff and still have that social interaction. This system is just and easier "Trade Tab". Also they could just not add a set plat amount and have the "Traders Market" use keywords to searches for desired items.

Best idea.

No - The issue is there is no real foundation in this game for an auction house.

I have 45 Flow mods in my inventory. I sell one maybe every two weeks, and get them faster from the void than I can sell. Currently, I can get 10-30 plat for an Unranked flow mod.

Now imagine if we had an auction house in which selling off my excess flows is much easier. Even with trade restrictions, I will be able to sell of my mods faster than I obtain. The issue with this is it is going to make mods absolutely plummet in price. Then stuff like Frost Prime, will sky rocket. Because players can control the market, even with trade limitations in place. Whenever there is an automated system like an auction house, players figure out how to exploit its mechanics.

So all this will do is

1.) Destroy any sort of value for current 'rare' mods. While this doesn't sound bad at first, you have to consider players can get top tier builds and essentially skip content, with small amounts of money. Then players who choose to play without paying are punished, because the drops they get aren't even worth selling anymore.

2.) Exclusives will become even harder to obtain. While this does sound contradictory since it is 'exclusive', it's never healthy for players to be dropping 200+ dollars on content. It just doesn't support good game quality of life and yields very short term profits.

If this game was like say, World of Warcraft, then yes, please keep their auction house. They have proper content and a proper player base to support one. TPS genres just don't have the depth (currently) to support such a system

I think we need some kind of system for selling things other than trade chat. When I log in to play Warframe, its because I was to play the damn game, I don't want to sit there staring at trade chat forever trying to peddle my goods or look for someone to sell me the thing I need. It takes too much time, its sloppy, and the chat moves way too fast. And to be completely honest, its a little too "involved" for me. I don't like haggling, I don't like not knowing if I am getting/offering a fair price, and I find it to be really intimidating.

I can see a lot of the downsides to your typical auction house, though. I think that if we had one that people could just use without limitations, prices would definitely drop like a rock. But are there limitations that could be put in place, that could keep some control on that? I've seen some people mention some ideas I think could work.

- Can only buy/sell X number of an item per day. Perhaps 1 per item per day.

- Can only buy/sell X number of items total per day. Currently, the number of direct trades you can make is equivalent to your mastery rank level. What if your allotted "broker/auction house/trade market/whatever" counted as part of that, or was at least half of it? If you're MR 10, you can only buy/sell on the system 5 times a day, for example. Either sell 5 things, or buy 5 things.. or maybe sell 2 things and buy 3, whatever you do, you can only do it 5 times. You could either be left then with the option to do only direct trades for the rest of the day ( 10, since you are MR10 ), or in another scenario it would mean you only have 5 direct trades left. If you only did 4 auctions in that day, then you could still have 6 direct trades.

- Maybe not even relate the number of purchases/sales to MR at all? Maybe it would be better for every person to be limited to a low number each day? Keeping it low, I think, would give you to OPTION to put some things up for those who don't appreciate the trade chat, but wouldn't eliminate the necessity of it entirely.

- Very short listing times. Maybe even reset daily? If it doesn't sell that day, it is returned to you.

Just trying to think of how we could make something like this work in WF. I really hate sitting in trade chat, but I also don't want to see the value in trading for plat destroyed, because I think it is important "free" players feel they have a viable way to work towards earning enough plat to cover the basic expenses ( weapon/warframe slots ) or they won't feel inclined to stick around if they feel like they are being forced to pay for such things.

Edited by Star

An auction house would render dojos even more pointless than they already are - not that I'd disagree with redoing that whole system - but I think a superior alternative might be a sort of auction house-esq Trade Board.

Hear me out: rather than posting things up and then waiting for a buyer to email you the Credits upon purchase or spamming Trade chat, what you do is set up a message on the board (limited to, like, one-message per player) that you could edit at any time and could be scrolled through by people looking at said in-game board or searching for key words "wts", "Orthos Prime", "Serration", "Cores", "Platinum Giveaway".

They could then mark your post and you'd receive a message saying something like "Timmy has shown interest in your Trade Post", and then you could contact Timmy whenever they're online and work out the details of what the trade will be like.

How about ...NO

How about... YES.

Lotus on a stick, I've said it before, said it a thousand times:

Bv6GkIw.gif

If this game is a beta for some things, it sure as hell can also be a testing ground for an Auction House. The Trade chat is a convoluted mess, it needs to be purged. I can hardly buy anything, let alone sell anything there. And no, don't you get started with me on "luck" and "skill". We have enough reliance on "luck" for everything in this game. And skill? Pah, do you really think you need to have a silver tongue in order to sell a Prime part or a mod? Like, honestly?

Just give it a chance before lambasting it, yeesh. If it doesn't work, remove it, if it does, keep it.

1. No auction houses.

2. You not being able to sell something is a matter of your personal luck and skill. Do not try to sell something that no one wants to buy- and you will have no issues. Most stuff everyone already has or does not want.

3. NO AUCTION HOUSES. They kill economies.

This ^^

There is nothing wrong with tradechat.

You probably aren`t selling enough maybe because you are impatient  or too ``expensive``?

Try tradingpost here in the forum,something similar to ah.

Edited by Makinar

This ^^

There is nothing wrong with tradechat.

You probably aren`t selling enough maybe because you are impatient  or too ``expensive``?

Try tradingpost here in the forum,something similar to ah.

Way to turn a blind eye to every single argument in favour of an Auction House in this thread. 

Tell me, is the sky blue where you come from, or do you like being completely lost in denial?

Way to turn a blind eye to every single argument in favour of an Auction House in this thread.

Tell me, is the sky blue where you come from, or do you like being completely lost in denial?

Denial of what? If you only knew how much plat we make and have made through the years (3500 hours).

You would be shocked.

Don`t fix it if it ain`t broken.

We all have started with a blank plat account.

Peace

Edited by Makinar

1. No auction houses.

2. You not being able to sell something is a matter of your personal luck and skill. Do not try to sell something that no one wants to buy- and you will have no issues. Most stuff everyone already has or does not want.

3. NO AUCTION HOUSES. They kill economies.

Meh, I respectfully disagree.

An auction house works perfectly fine with an active and large playerbase, which Warframe most certainly has. DE can easily reassert control against monopolists by allowing item balance by altering drop rates, or just simply by introducing an Alert which is a tool they already use to 'help' the game economy. Currently they just use them (look at Proxy Rebellion, perfect recent example) to compensate for balance changes and add a fun element, but they can be used for so much more.

Imagine monopolist buying up all gold Cores and setting a high price. Alert comes in and gives everyone 25 cores. Monopoly destroyed in a matter of seconds.

An auction house with a counterbalance for monopolists is a perfect way to encourage trading. Right now, all the trading you don't see is players that are stuck with worthless items that others might be able to use very well. In addition, the lack of trading also means that an important gold sink of any MMO economy is largely underused - yes there is sales tax currently, but for newer players this is prohibitively high and for veterans it is ridiculously low. An auction house fixes this because trading is far more ongoing and frequent, and it will actually make credits a commodity instead of a largely worthless number after you have a few dozens hours in the game.

So, big yes to Auction house, if it is done right and monitored.

Also, personal luck and skill. Are you serious? Everyone can type WTB/WTS. It's just very much old school trading that has since been surpassed by far better methods, current trade chat is a horrifying mess and defending a trading post on forums outside of the game is borderline crazy and stems from the Diablo 2 era. We play the game, not the forum.

Edited by V4YR4

Meh, I respectfully disagree.

An auction house works perfectly fine with an active and large playerbase, which Warframe most certainly has. DE can easily reassert control against monopolists by allowing item balance by altering drop rates, or just simply by introducing an Alert which is a tool they already use to 'help' the game economy. Currently they just use them (look at Proxy Rebellion, perfect recent example) to compensate for balance changes and add a fun element, but they can be used for so much more.

Imagine monopolist buying up all gold Cores and setting a high price. Alert comes in and gives everyone 25 cores. Monopoly destroyed in a matter of seconds.

An auction house with a counterbalance for monopolists is a perfect way to encourage trading. Right now, all the trading you don't see is players that are stuck with worthless items that others might be able to use very well. In addition, the lack of trading also means that an important gold sink of any MMO economy is largely underused - yes there is sales tax currently, but for newer players this is prohibitively high and for veterans it is ridiculously low. An auction house fixes this because trading is far more ongoing and frequent, and it will actually make credits a commodity instead of a largely worthless number after you have a few dozens hours in the game.

So, big yes to Auction house, if it is done right and monitored.

Also, personal luck and skill. Are you serious? Everyone can type WTB/WTS. It's just very much old school trading that has since been surpassed by far better methods, current trade chat is a horrifying mess and defending a trading post on forums outside of the game is borderline crazy and stems from the Diablo 2 era. We play the game, not the forum.

The issue isn't monopolists. It's the overwhelming ratio of supply vs the very very low demand for 90% of items.

And yes, anyone can type WTB/WTS in trade chat- NOT everyone can actually MAKE the trade. That does take skill. "Current trade chat is a horrifying mess". 1. Not too much really no. 2. That's an issue with TRADE CHAT, the CHAT SYSTEM, not the TRADE system. What we need is chat 2.0, not auction houses.

they can buy out all the lowest item then set it up at a high price rinse and repeat.

Can they not do the same now?

Auction House is just a convenience, nothing will change. Either way, the seller/buyer will put up an advertisement, and the buyer/seller interested will accept it. This just cuts out the annoying part where we have to message each other, join each others dojos to trade, or even be offline, and possibly miss an opportunity. Also, this helps prevent stupid people from being scammed.

Trading is optional as well, so no one has to do it. And having to constantly advertise blows a lot of my time trying to sell one item rather than play the game. Makes sense to put one advertisement and move on.

The issue isn't monopolists. It's the overwhelming ratio of supply vs the very very low demand for 90% of items.

And yes, anyone can type WTB/WTS in trade chat- NOT everyone can actually MAKE the trade. That does take skill. "Current trade chat is a horrifying mess". 1. Not too much really no. 2. That's an issue with TRADE CHAT, the CHAT SYSTEM, not the TRADE system. What we need is chat 2.0, not auction houses.

Skill as in being cognizant about the value of certain items?

People who place absurd prices on their offers will never get their offer taken. The same "skill," if that is what you want to call it, remains.

Also, since when should a task having nothing to do with actual gameplay take skill? Doing a raid? That should take skill.

Trading? Come on, trading with other players is essentially supposed to be a convenience. If acquiring rare items are supposed to require "skill," they should take out trading completely...

...Leave it to RNG right? Another thing that has nothing to do with "skill." >_>

People who place absurd prices on their offers will never get their offer taken. The same "skill," if that is what you want to call it, remains.

Also, since when should a task having nothing to do with actual gameplay take skill? Doing a raid? That should take skill.

Trading? Come on, trading with other players is essentially supposed to be a convenience. If acquiring rare items are supposed to require "skill," they should take out trading completely...

...Leave it to RNG right? Another thing that has nothing to do with "skill." >_>

I thought for a while, sitting here trying to decide what I should respond with. I decided this was the best response.

All of these flavors...

and you chose salty.

As one whose played many MMOs with AHs....there are pros and cons to it just as there are pros and cons to the current trade channel. Do i get frustrated with the channel...yes. But i know I'm not getting any buyers because either my prime part is common or others are selling the same thing or the complete set. Do i think an Auction House would work here...not really. Now i do think a new trading system does need to be implemented because the current system is very faulty and not all that reliable.

I can spend hours on the trade chat buying and selling stuff  so yeah sorry if you don't consider it a part of the game but i do and i love it :)

I've seen enough to be convinced there are already people manipulating it but this is something No one in the community communicated to DE before we got trading. Really wish DE held it off and designed a system right the first time.

Anyway the reselling/buying issue can be easily resolved if you give every item in game a limit of 1 trade. Binding the item to the purchaser account. It will prevent the type of price and market manipulation that many of us against a th/marketplace are scared of.

i buy stuffs that i later give to my friends so no thanks....

If Auction house would be bad for the game then what? Current trading is just stressful at least for me with having to deal with ppl trying to scam. I haven't been able to sell my ammo drum collection...

Stressfull ? And what do you call scam actually ? Because when i see someone trying to make me sell'em syndicat weapon for 20 plat i would call that scamming but i don't really care since i can ... you know ... refuse the deal :p

Words like overpricing and underpricing can't really be apply in warframe, in my point of view the value of an item depend on my interest for it and the trend of the market

PS : I'm sorry if you came across agressive and/or arrogant douchbag.

Clan only Auction House, sorted!

No need to worry about the economy as the only people who could get screwed are clan members who'll just leave and join a better clan.

For nubs like me who hate P2P trading and the Trade Chat in general we'd actually have a chance at buying/selling things.

Also promotes bigger clans as there will be more things for sale. Hopefully promotes better teamwork too, I love doing clan runs.

I will always support the idea of a more harmonized trading system that will help stabilize the prices or at least clearly show how much everything costs. Be it Auction House or not.

Auction House can/is a problematic system, just like any other trading system in games. There's no perfect solution and the current state of things is far from it. The current trade is messy, frustrating and unnecessarily time consuming.

Also how economy where everyone know jack s* about the prices is stable? It's just a heaven for greedy milk selling overpriced items and trying to trick each other into squeezing as much plats as possible out of a player. I knew guys in my old alliance that would gloat for selling common rare mods/parts to new players from our sister alliance for much more plats that they were worth while the sister alliance did the same to our new recruits. How is that acceptable as a functioning economy?

Edited by Witcherlet