Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Resonance Got Nerfed Instead Of Just Getting Fixed

LisRestall

As title says, instead of reverting resonance back to how it worked previously, it had an additional nerf along with the fix.

There is now a very long noticeable cooldown before sonar can be re-applied through either re-cast or kills upon hitting the glowing weakspot. There also seems to be a cap on how many parts can be changed into weakspots now.

As soon as finding out this nerf, I went ahead and tested it again on Draco as a client. The noticeable long cooldown is still there and I can only see up to 2-3 glows per grineer even though I spammed Sonar so much while the randoms were also proc'ing resonance. Note that I have 66m range while testing this.

After that, I went ahead and tested it with friends on ODD as the host. Same thing, even with so many sonar recasts and resonance procs, never have I seen a mob that has a full glowing body.

Seriously, this nerf is uncalled for.

Edit: Here is my test on Infested with video,

https://youtu.be/1CQTNxGSXAc

KnotOfMetal's test on Grineers,

Looks fine to me...

HI2ab9u.jpg

YOUn7JH.jpg

Edit 2: Upon doing further tests aside from Infeseted, it does seem to work like before but with the longer cooldown before sonar can create another glowing spot.

Edited by LisRestall

Aye! Aye! Thee sinned heathens hath broken thy first rule of Banshee! Never thou shalth Banshee be spoken!

See what happens when you do talk about Banshee? *cries*

Though have you tried Sonar as host? Ain't it just naturally wonky as client.

After that, I went ahead and tested it with friends on ODD as the host. Same thing, even with so many sonar recasts and resonance procs, never have I seen a mob that has a full glowing body.

Multiple threads about the power of the Ignis/Resonance combo one day, a Resonance nerf the next. Surprise surprise.

That's because it was a bug. An intended occurance that came about with 17.8.

It literally broke the game. It crashed framerates and computers and stacked damage into the millions.

It didn't get nerfed, it got fixed.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

say it ain't so :(

Can anyone else confirm this/has video comaprison? Hopefully this is a bug too >__<

EDIT: Popped in game and tested it out in the simulcrum....don't really notice this delay you're mentioning, perhaps because I had fewer targets...anyway only difference I noticed is that the weak point's glow is noticably diminished...no longer bright white at the center. Other than that doesn't really seem any worse than before. if there is a delay its not too long

Edited by RyanGo

You do realise that it doesn't matter if it is a bug fix too or not, if it is a change that makes something less effective then it is a nerf, right?

Yeah man, but it's the difference between something being an accidental nerf and one that's on purpose. 

This stealth nerf accusation stuff needs to DIE. They made it clear if something is "stealth nerfed" as in, not listed in the patch notes, that we should assume it is a bug that happened due to other changes. 

This is common in programming, I know from programming myself, that whenever you fix one thing, it often unintentionally breaks other things. Then you have to track the code down and fix that thing as well. 

I'm pretty sure they didn't intend to make it worse than before, they intended to revert it to what it's was. If they have made it worse than before, we should assume that it is unintended for now, and report it as a bug, so it will be fixed as soon as possible. 

Stealth nerf accusations only delay the time it will take to get the bug fixed, because instead of reporting it as the bug it is, people are whining about it in general and calling it a nerf. 

They already attempted to fix it. Or are you telling me they produced another bug while fixing it? What a convenient excuse. Not to mention, the bug seems to have a very specific coding, additional cooldown and added weakspot cap. Great.

This is exactly what I am saying. I understand your skepticism, but from the perspective of someone who does programming, that kind of issue is actually incredibly common. Fixing one thing in code often breaks other similar, or sometimes totally unrelated things in ways you could never guess or imagine. Figuring out why this is can often be a lot of work and very confusing. 

Let's not assume this was on purpose, coding a complex game is an enormous mess. It doesn't take much for one fix to break a bunch of other stuff. I strongly recommend you report this in bugs forum. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

It didn't get nerfed, it got fixed.

There was a bug, and that bug was fixed.

There was also a nerf in addition to that bugfix that made Sonar/Resonance weaker than it was before the update that caused the bug.

On top of that, they still haven't fixed this game-breaking bug affecting Banshee that has been around for months.

Funny how that works, isn't it? They're mega-quick to fix "bugs" that make farming too easy (though in fairness, this one also crashed the game), yet ignore incredibly frustrating bugs for months or years.

Funny how that works, isn't it? They're mega-quick to fix bugs that make farming too easy (though in fairness, this one also crashed the game), yet ignore incredibly frustrating bugs for months or years.

All a matter of priority on what's important and what can actually be fixed. I don't like it, of course, but I do sorta get the logic behind it. If it affects a lot of people or can be fixed easily, it usually will be.

And yes, as you point out, this one did quite literally break the game, and not in a farming way. As far as bugs go, this one was pretty massive. I do get your point, but it's not a great example is all.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

All a matter of priority on what's important and what can actually be fixed.

Your only rebuttal is to imply that the Sonar host/client issue might not be fixable? That's pretty weak.

Also, you know as well as I do that even if this Resonance bug hadn't been crashing people's game, they would have fixed it ASAP as it allowed Sonar to boost damage into the billions. Funny, isn't it, that bugs like that one can always be fixed.

If you approve of DE fixing bugs that affect their bottom line ASAP while ignoring bugs that frustrate players for years, and don't believe that players have the right to complain about such obnoxious behavior, then that's your choice.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a 100% legitimate issue to complain about.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed hidden comment

I'm just going to mention here that whether or not resonance did indeed get a change along with the fix that made it so it can no longer completely cover someone's body- or stack in the same place (quickly) that it is still both insanely powerful and serves the purpose of the ability. Resonance is meant to be able to chain Sonar between enemies without needing to recast the skill. Sonar is meant to boost your damage if you have good aim and can hit the spots it creates. Neither one is meant to completely cover their bodies so that all no-skill spray and pray can get an insane damage boost. Neither is meant to stack your damage to heights that will hit damage into the millions. It... is.... FINE.

P.s. I STILL believe that sonar spots should not be able to stack on each other to boost damage even further- and hope that it is unintentional and has just been left alone for much too long.

Also, you know as well as I do that even if this Resonance bug hadn't been crashing people's game, they would have fixed it ASAP as it allowed Sonar to boost damage into the billions. Funny, isn't it, that bugs like that one can always be fixed.

Possibly, but the fact that it did crash games made it more of a priority. I'm not sure why people think DE is heartless, when they have shown multiple times they do actually give a damn. It's also understandable that something which boosts damage into the billions gets fixed, because that's the most overpowered thing you can have. Are you seriously using that as an argument?

And yeah, this one was arguably easier to fix. It wasn't triggering the cooldown. That's less complicated than hit detection.

I also didn't imply it might not be fixable at all, though I get the misunderstanding. Bad wording on my part.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Your only rebuttal is to imply that the Sonar host/client issue might not be fixable? That's pretty weak.

If you approve of DE fixing bugs that affect their bottom line ASAP while ignoring bugs that frustrate players for years, and don't believe that players have the right to complain about such obnoxious behavior, then that's your choice.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a 100% legitimate issue to complain about.

I do think people have a reason to complain about bugs, or keep posting that they are a bug that still isn't fixed, etc. 

What I take issue with are people who call stuff "stealth nerfs" instead of posting them as bugs. I also don't understand the need to constantly label anyone who ever defends DE with nasty monikers. Sometimes I criticize them too. Pre-insulting people who may disagree with you is the main reason why I responded the way I did. I probably should have posted more in detail though instead. 

I also personally don't think being angry with DE helps anything at all. Certainly it's fine to complain, but I think being politely firm, and persistent gets issues fixed far faster than being salty. Just my opinion. I do think you have every reason to keep asking for fixes though. I don't want you to think otherwise. Just because I think the salt isn't helpful, doesn't mean I think what you want is unreasonable. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

Possibly, but the fact that it did crash games made it more of a priority. I'm not sure why people think DE is heartless, when they have shown multiple times they do actually give a damn. It's also understandable that something which boosts damage into the billions gets fixed, because that's the most overpowered thing you can have. Are you seriously using that as an argument?

And yeah, this one was arguably easier to fix. It wasn't triggering the cooldown. That's less complicated than hit detection.

I also didn't imply it might not be fixable at all, though I get the misunderstanding. Bad wording on my part.

Fixing the bug was fine, and a welcomed fix. I wanted them to fix the bug.

Nerfing Resonance a bit is also fine, in theory. It doesn't really even affect me as I almost always use Banshee with Latron Prime, and I don't need lots of stacks in lots of locations in order to one-hit endgame enemies.

Nerfing Resonance and then walking away without doing something about the host/client issue, though, is obnoxious.