Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Fodder. Enough?

JohnKable

I don't use the term mastery fodder because i don't care for mastery, i will rank the weapon that i find usefull or fun.

All the weapons in the game have the objective of providing a different gameplay that may help you in your objective, that can be raids, doing rescue missions, clearing the star map and so on.

If players like to gather all the weapons then it's their fault, no one is asking you to do it.

Because of the way i play, i have more resources, i find the game less grindy and more enjoyable.

I head-canoned this a long time ago.  It may be a silly solution but it works for me.  The mastery system is literally your Tenno learning to use every weapon, and becoming a better warrior for each weapon learned.  Every gun, every frame, all of it leads to a better understanding of combat.  So, for me, it isn't raising a meter, but it is my avatar, my Tenno, slowly becoming better and better.

I know, it doesn't work for everyone but it satisfies me thematically, so it works.

Take the Basolk for instance. Why release this freaking thing at all? The dual sword stances are garbage, the crit chance is abysmal, it's slow, fire isn't that great of a status to build on. There is no good reason for it. I was told prior to playing this game that the game was all about choice. Yeah you have the choice of about 4 or 5 weapons at top tier that you can actually use and 900 mastery rank fodder/garbage weapons. Why not release weapons that give us a choice of playstyle at top tier. I feel forced into a handful of weapons if I want to play with serious groups

Take the Basolk for instance. Why release this freaking thing at all? The dual sword stances are garbage, the crit chance is abysmal, it's slow, fire isn't that great of a status to build on. There is no good reason for it. I was told prior to playing this game that the game was all about choice. Yeah you have the choice of about 4 or 5 weapons at top tier that you can actually use and 900 mastery rank fodder/garbage weapons. Why not release weapons that give us a choice of playstyle at top tier. I feel forced into a handful of weapons if I want to play with serious groups

yet you could still go 40 rounds in a t4 defense with a well formaed pair.

Its still about preference. Every weapon is viable, if losing .5 ttk on an enemy bothers you to the point where you wont use any other weapon but the top damage dealers, then thats your problem. I find that i can be effective with almost any weapon i make. its rare that my effectiveness drops off too much from not using a top tier weapon.

Personally, i enjoy taking different weapons out. I already know i how far i can go with a boltor P, doesnt mean i cant have fun using a Dera, or Ignis.

Edited by Hypernaut1

yet you could still go 40 rounds in a t4 defense with a well formaed pair.

Its still about preference. Every weapon is viable, if losing .5 ttk on an enemy bothers you to the point where you wont use any other weapon but the top damage dealers, then thats your problem. I find that i can be effective with almost any weapon i make. its rare that my effectiveness drops off too much from not using a top tier weapon.

Personally, i enjoy taking different weapons out. I already know i how far i can go with a boltor P, doesnt mean i cant have fun using a Dera, or Ignis.

40 rounds in a t4 is setting the bar pretty low. Even so Why would I want to take an inferior weapon and handicap myself and my team. That's like flattening one of your tires before you drive to work "for the variety it gives". Yeah ok.

Heard this discussion way too many times before. Personally I don't worry about MR, I hit MR10 and slowed down took a break from the game but as always I only use weapons I like. I have built multiple weapons and the ones I hate I just sold off without mastering them...there is no reason for me to use them if I don't like them, afterall this is a game and I prefer to enjoy it rather than feel like I have to grind this or that just for a number.

When its time for me to rank up I will but I'm not on a binge run to get there.

Yeah you have the choice of about 4 or 5 weapons at top tier that you can actually use

BoltorP, SomaP, BratonP, Tonkor, PGorgon, Dread, ParisP, Rakta Cernos, Synoid Simulor, Hek, Vaykor Hek, Tigris, Sancti Tigris, Penta, Secura Penta, Amprex, Quanta Vandal

AkSomati, AkMagnus, Synoid Gammacor, Vaykor Marelok, Rakta Ballistica, Brakk, LexP, Atomos

ScindoP, OrthosP, PDual Cleavers, Galatine, GlaiveP, Jat Kittag, Covert Lethality Daggers, Tipedo, Ninkondi

Those are right off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot a few.

Anyway, every game ever has gear that isn't worth getting because there's something better but may still look good enough to be worth using. Deal with it.

BoltorP, SomaP, BratonP, Tonkor, PGorgon, Dread, ParisP, Rakta Cernos, Synoid Simulor, Hek, Vaykor Hek, Tigris, Sancti Tigris, Penta, Secura Penta, Amprex, Quanta Vandal

AkSomati, AkMagnus, Synoid Gammacor, Vaykor Marelok, Rakta Ballistica, Brakk, LexP, Atomos

ScindoP, OrthosP, PDual Cleavers, Galatine, GlaiveP, Jat Kittag, Covert Lethality Daggers, Tipedo, Ninkondi

Those are right off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot a few.

Anyway, every game ever has gear that isn't worth getting because there's something better but may still look good enough to be worth using. Deal with it.

Boar Prime Jaw Sword, Dragon Nikana, Boltace, Dual Kamas Prime, Telos Akbolto, Dex Dakra, Dakra Prime, Phage, Twin Grakata, Hikou Prime,

5 Weapons in any given category primary/secondary/melee. A lot of the weapons you two listed are garbage. Jaw sword lulz. Yeah every game has gear that isn't worth getting. This game has garbage gear rate of at least 75%.

Diehard fanboys are the reason we can't have nice things.

Edited by BDubs98

5 Weapons in any given category primary/secondary/melee. A lot of the weapons you two listed are garbage. Jaw sword lulz. Yeah every game has gear that isn't worth getting. This game has garbage gear rate of at least 75%.

Diehard fanboys are the reason we can't have nice things.

None of the weapons I listed are garbage. Just because you don't get a dual boltor prime every week doesn't mean weapons aren't top tier.

Unnapreciative people are their own reason for not seeing what they have.

We need enough things to reach mr30, sure, but why so many have to be mastery fodder only and not viable weapons ?

Thats my point

This game has no mastery fodder like it has no endgame. I wish people would stop using such terms.

Like a lot of people already mentioned, everything can be viable even in high level, and lots of your so called "mastery fodder" are the most fun to play with and that´s why I am playing games.

Never stated, and they are not going to commit to a Mastery rank cap that close to boot. 

You don´t really think MR30 is close? We are just close half way on our way to 30. And btw. somehow DE set the level cap to 30 since they released the game on steam. Just because there will ( maybe, you never know with DE ) max level doesn´t mean DE will stop releasing new stuff.

Edited by Kuestenjung

well when weapon that require a mastey 8 and require a clan reshearch of 3 day like embolist. That get their &#! handle by a pair of Aklato/Aklex that you can buy build in the market at the very begining.

Those situation make you wonder why and is Mastery point should really be a thing.

This game has no mastery fodder like it has no endgame. I wish people would stop using such terms.

Like a lot of people already mentioned, everything can be viable even in high level, and lots of your so called "mastery fodder" are the most fun to play with and that´s why I am playing games.

You can't deny that some weapons are objectively better than others.

Personally I use an ember loadout that uses purely fire damage (to better benefit from Ember's accelerant ability, of course I also have ignis and atomos).

Previously I was using the Silva and Aegis (pure fire damage) but when the twin basolks came out I was ecstatic that they had higher damage, a better status chance, and even released a fire wave at the end of one of the dual swords combos!  So I'm really happy they released it, as it's now a permanent part of my "burn in hell infested" loadout :)

And an amazing ignis buff to boot! It was a great day for my Ember.

When the difference is a gun taking two clips and one shotting an enemy, it does mean that.

If you want to play extremes, I can do that too.

Pretty sure any fully modded weapon will still oneshot a lvl 1 enemy.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here every Tuesday and Wednesday, don't forget to tip your waitress.

• 4 weeks later...

While they haven't come out and said it, I think they've been hinting at fixing dmg and scaling with weapons for a while. There are some incredibly fun weapons out there that are technically Mastery Fodder. It's a shame they get shuttled off to the side, and it's especially sad when some of them require such a hefty amount of resources, and weapons in some cases, to build. I've slow leveled every weapon and put a forma in pretty much every one I enjoyed playing with. So, it'd be nice to see all weapons work out as viable. Prime variants would work out as just bling, in some cases that's already true, but I'd be happy with that. To see weapons be functional for different situations and getting to choose weapons to compliment their frames, group composition, or what have you would be far more compelling to me.

My main issue with MR and loadouts and fodder weapons is well. 
i go through a weapon every week to two weeks. same with warframes. hell the only thing ive used for long periods of time is my dang carrier and carrier prime. for me as someone who has been playing nearly two years. i get bored of frames and weapons once i finish their build. frost prime was my longest running used frame. which i got bored of after a while. sure this is a problem with me as a person but at the same time. how are we suppose to enjoy playing a frame or using a weapon if once we have finished grinding it into a finely sharpened tool. we just have to grind it more

our community is toxic. our missions are repetitive. our DE dont have the time or the staff to bring out new things every week to keep using our favourites really fun. and our plat economy is buggered.