Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Not A Sybarys Buff ?

Enno69

Hello people, so first of all I love this gun, as I'm sure some of you do as well ;  it looks and feels so good, and the accuracy is very sweet. It's definitely a tenno-ish weapon.

However, the damage is kinda low right now. With a standard build including serration/SC, the base crit mods, a shred, a fast reload, and two elementals, it can barely reach 19k of burst on a crit ; in average it's more 12-15k, according to the builder.  Hammershot makes it better (14-20k) but not by much, and only on crits, which have only 60% of chance to trigger.

There isn't really any room for modification, except with Heavy Caliber, which kinda ruins its long-range capabilities.

Si I'd say that rifle needs a significant buff. Its mechanics are cool, but their drawbacks (small magazine, long reload, burst fire) needs to be compensated by some raw punch.

I'd suggest either a (significant) boost in base crit damage and a (slight) increase in crit chance, so as to make it a "niche" weap ; or simply buff the base damage, like DE did for shotguns.

What do you think ? Am I being stupid or is there a possibility the designers could consider that ?

honestly though. I do wish that whoever was responsible for coming up with the idea of a burst fire lever action rifle had actually done some research. if they had they would know that a lever action rifle CANNOT fire automaticly which it would have to do to fire 3 round bursts. if on the other hand they are suggesting that the operator is firing 3 rounds in under a second manually it is also impossible using a lever action

honestly though. I do wish that whoever was responsible for coming up with the idea of a burst fire lever action rifle had actually done some research. if they had they would know that a lever action rifle CANNOT fire automaticly which it would have to do to fire 3 round bursts. if on the other hand they are suggesting that the operator is firing 3 rounds in under a second manually it is also impossible using a lever action

this is warframe not real life also the game is not meant to be realistic 

Warframe is a sci-fi shooter so i don't think real guns have any relevance when you consider the advanced technology depicted in the game. You could ask why does the ogris have to charge up when it fires a projectile which is clearly propelled by a rocket, when rocket launchers IRL simply ignite a propellant, or you could ask why is the hek's magazine attached to just one barrel when it has 4. My point is don't criticize a game for not being something it was never intended to be, IE a shooter with realistic mechanics/designs.

I think the Sybaris could use a slight boost in damage output, i.e. raw damage OR crit chance OR crit damage, but the main weaknesses are definitely magazine capacity and reload speed.  With the fact that it punches two bullets at a time, one or the other could certainly use an improvement.

First off the Sybaris fires 2 round bursts so if it helps your immersion with this weapon just imagine it's using two barrels for the burst fire effect and a complex lever mechanism to reload them both.

On topic the Sybaris is very powerful as it is, the only thing I would see buffed on it is reload speed or magazine capacity.

Lever loads three rounds from three magazines into three barrels. Trigger releases 3 hammers. If that explanation can work with the Tiberon, why not the Sybaris? 

I think people asking for more damage need to ask themselves two questions:

1.) What do I need the Sybaris to kill in one shot, that it doesn't already kill in one shot?  Keeping in mind that Sybaris is crit based, and critical hits to the head are worth 4 times the damage of crits to the body.

And,

2.) Is there any good reason for me to be fighting this?  And no: playing survival for 2 hours isn't a good reason, because you have a chance at every possible reward by 20 minutes. If you're playing missions like that, it is because you are a masochist and you want things to be impossibly difficult, which kind of makes it silly to ask weapons to be buffed so the mission becomes less impossible.

Edited by Momaw

2.) Is there any good reason for me to be fighting this?  And no: playing survival for 2 hours isn't a good reason, because you have a chance at every possible reward by 20 minutes. 

Don't care about the rewards, it's a challenge :-P

Just kidding, I've never done that. Didn't know the part about the 4x critical though, thanks for the tip.

Hello people, so first of all I love this gun, as I'm sure some of you do as well ;  it looks and feels so good, and the accuracy is very sweet. It's definitely a tenno-ish weapon.

However, the damage is kinda low right now. With a standard build including serration/SC, the base crit mods, a shred, a fast reload, and two elementals, it can barely reach 19k of burst on a crit ; in average it's more 12-15k, according to the builder.  Hammershot makes it better (14-20k) but not by much, and only on crits, which have only 60% of chance to trigger.

There isn't really any room for modification, except with Heavy Caliber, which kinda ruins its long-range capabilities.

Si I'd say that rifle needs a significant buff. Its mechanics are cool, but their drawbacks (small magazine, long reload, burst fire) needs to be compensated by some raw punch.

I'd suggest either a (significant) boost in base crit damage and a (slight) increase in crit chance, so as to make it a "niche" weap ; or simply buff the base damage, like DE did for shotguns.

What do you think ? Am I being stupid or is there a possibility the designers could consider that ?

Gun are meant to be balanced for Star Chart enemies. Can you one shot everything in the Start Chart a single trigger pull from the Sybaris? Yes you can, because it does 10K per shot.

Gun are meant to be balanced for Star Chart enemies. Can you one shot everything in the Start Chart a single trigger pull from the Sybaris? Yes you can, because it does 10K per shot.

Must resist posting another facepalm pic..... 

Good, post a lucid and logical counter argument instead. :)

There must at some point be a cutoff point where we stop caring about balance, because the game scales very very high indeed. If we balanced weapons so that they could comfortably kill the highest level enemies it was "possible" to see in multi-hour endless missions, then every single weapon would one-shot every single enemy before that point; trash, heavies, bosses, it wouldn't even matter. If your baseline for adequate weapon performance is that it can kill level 200 enemies as fast as you can aim at them and doesn't require constant stacks of ammo pizza, then you've trivialized the difficulty of every other encounter in the game.

It seems necessary for gameplay enjoyment that there be a point where we decide the weapons are powerful enough, and that making them any more powerful just subtracts from the experience because nothing has any challenge anymore.   Why shouldn't that point be defined as the enemy level you might see in a starmap alert, or 20 waves/minutes into a defense or survival mission? These are the highest enemy levels you'll see without deliberately crossing over into "voluntary unfair sadistic difficulty", i.e. raids or multi-hour endless missions.

Yes, could.  The lever would just need to prime an internal mechanism designed to fire three rounds.  Just imagine that a single levering cocks 3 internal hammers.

Also: