Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Rework

Myscho

I recently play CoD Modern Warfare 3 and there was mission in Prague and i play with Remington RSASS sniper, this sniper had interesting function (probably only for game needs): 2 scopes - one for longer distances and second for close combat/red dot. Looks like this

pzcBpOz.jpg?1

Close combat scope would be like regular weapon aim - right mouse button and scope for longer distance as alternative firing mode.

This feature would be nice having in Warframe with sniper rework

Snipers in Warframe have a clearly defined role as mid- to long-range weapons. That in mind, they don't need a scope for close combat, because we can do that anyway just by not aiming. Games like CoD have it because shooting from the hip incurs a colossal accuracy penalty, which doesn't exist in this game.

So basically, it's unnecessary. Scope customization would be nice, but this aspect in particular would be rather pointless.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

I had a similar idea after devstream 59 for varible zoom, although my thread is more on how to keep usable without taking up more buttons/keys.

We already have weapons with alt firing mode - quanta, penta etc., 2 scope option doesnt take more button

Honestly, double click would be the best way to implement it.

and then you are stuck with a togable ADS and persanally I really dont like and strugle to use toglable ADS. 

You mean double click to change the zoom level. I not sure if I like it, sould not take too long to get the hang of.

We have a secondary fire button now!

Just leave simple zoom, like it was before DE cursed us with god awful scopes, and add a variable zoom, or whatever you find fancy, on alt fire. That's it!

Edited by V0LK

and then you are stuck with a togable ADS and persanally I really dont like and strugle to use toglable ADS. 

You mean double click to change the zoom level. I not sure if I like it, sould not take too long to get the hang of.

Yeah, I forgot about hold to zoom.

But if you bind the zoom toggle to alt fire, you lose the freedom of adding an alternate firing mode to a rifle.

I don't like the idea about trigger sensitivity. It means controllers get far more options than everyone else.

We already have weapons with alt firing mode - quanta, penta etc., 2 scope option doesnt take more button

We have a secondary fire button now!

Just leave simple zoom, like it was before DE cursed us with god awful scopes, and add a variable zoom, or whatever you find fancy, on alt fire. That's it!

That is fine and all.

but what about the Buzlok (I know it is not a sniper, but it has a scope) and so it could get a variable/toggleable scope like snipers. 

I don't like the idea about trigger sensitivity. It means controllers get far more options than everyone else.

It was just an idea to save the controler players from having more functions than buttons. 

my alt fire is already dificult to use and requires me to remove my thum from the joystic, stopping my movment/aim. 

But hold scroll button to keep aiming with long distance scope seems bit impractical

is this is from my idea?

if so that is not what I mean. What I mean is you left click to ADS and whilst ADS you scroll either in or out to zoom in or out. then when you next ADS it remembers the last level of zoom you used(with a menu option to have it always start a minimum zoom when you ADS).

No, i was thinking out loud what if we actually have those 2 scope options. Aiming with close combat would be normal, like we do now, but with second seems more difficult, hold scroll button and scroll to adjust zoom at the same time is impossible

Edited by Myscho

It was just an idea to save the controler players from having more functions than buttons. 

my alt fire is already dificult to use and requires me to remove my thum from the joystic, stopping my movment/aim. 

Hold aim = scope

Scroll while aiming = adjust zoom

Problem solved. No extra clicks, just moving the scroll wheel. It shares the same function as ability select on console.

Hold aim = scope

Scroll while aiming = adjust zoom

Problem solved. No extra clicks, just moving the scroll wheel. It shares the same function as ability select on console.

Ok, that is the mouse and keyboard sorted and agreed on, as I have previously stated this as a option for mouse and keyboard players. 

Now what system/button(s) will replace the Scroll for Controller players? hence why I recomended varible zoomed tied to the trigger. makes it quick and easy to use for  controllers. 

Ok, that is the mouse and keyboard sorted and agreed on, as I have previously stated this as a option for mouse and keyboard players. 

Now what system/button(s) will replace the Scroll for Controller players? hence why I recomended varible zoomed tied to the trigger. makes it quick and easy to use for  controllers. 

It shares the same function as ability select on console.

I really dot get what you mean, can you explane what controller butons you would press

you want controllers to hold down alt fire to choose between level of zoom or alt fire?? that is over complicated and wrong. 

The problem here with sniper rifles is a problem with the game modes, that are totally unrelated to a game like MW.

Swarm mechanics, knockdows, being covered in sludge/bees/energy draining leeches ... it's a long list. Add to that the amount of racing around we do to get to the objectives in maps, and you have a poor environment for sniper class weapons. By the time you manage to click to do a double zoom, someone could have already your sector and taken your target along with it.

I've done plenty of Defense missions and sat on high rock with a sniper rifle and held my own, but then you have also to spend time getting more ammo, and picking up drops, which, if you are a good shot, end up always across the other side of the tile.

You could play Recon on Global Agenda, beat the rest of the team damage, and make them wonder where the hell you were, because you could sit 1km  back and clear ahead for them, but here, those tactics don't work because of the maps, the spawn mechanics, and enemies that you don't need heavy team coordination to focus fire. When a pistol, here, can out damage a sniper rifle from a combination of high damage single shots and higher rate of fire ...

We have a lot of run-and-gun game play, which is a poor fit for sniper rifle work.

Read it again

I have read it again and holding alt fire to choose is a horrible thought or i am really not understanding what you are saying (if so please type eg. press LT to aim ........................ ). 

Also can I ask if you play on controller or keyboard? Just im wondering if you have had any issues with keybindings on a controller. 

I have read it again and holding alt fire to choose is a horrible thought or i am really not understanding what you are saying (if so please type eg. press LT to aim ........................ ). 

You're obviously not reading it very well. I don't know what the binding is.