Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Alt Helmet] - Mag - Takaimo

Takai

Edit: I guess I read it wrong and you are to make this WIP thread on poly count. So I will move it there. The wording is confusing because at the top it says make the thread on poly count and in the submission section it says make a WIP thread in the Warframe forums. So do I do both or what? I am assuming its the polycount because the searches were successful there. So this will be on polycount till I get clarification.

http://polycount.com/discussion/160838/alt-helmete-mag-takaimo#latest

Well... 

[post #1]

I start facing the canvas. The void. Empty space between the particles. The scaffolding of photon stimulated matter. 

There are 1.2 million ways to start. Typically I add a sphere. This time I added the existing geo from the project files provided by DE... duplicated the existing head (for scaling reasons), reminded myself of some paradigms, then added my sphere. I wonder why does stuff forms sphere and spirals in this universe... perhaps it is merely our perceptions.

1.jpg

Whenever I concept an idea in 3D, as of late, I just like to gather references and influences, and just put them on a 2nd screen, cause your mind will always wander there. It is incredibly difficult to make something that has not existed before, even nature struggles with the notion, and iterates upon its most successful creations. A specific technique that helps with this after references is to go into low resolution dynamesh, turn off "Line" on my polyframes, grap a fake shadowed material, and go into shape fascination mode. Everything is going to look like junk for a long time. 

2.jpg

I just make some concept roughs, sometimes thumbnails on paper, but making like 3-5 in 3D can be a fun challenge. I am sure I will probably make a few more. This one looks funny, but I kinda like it. Sometimes I will throw in IMMs of just primitive shapes and then play with them, referencing elements of images while referencing design elements I have learned thus far.

3.jpg

Once I got some really rough ideas, I run them by some friends that like sci-fi. In the meantime, I will add some secondary shapes to my favorite one, or make a few more roughs.

4.jpg

This is a process... a meditation. It takes focus and a irreverence to failure. The mindset I use going forward revolves around a breakdown of oneself... the destruction of creations. I say my little prayer to the muse and humbly ask her for her aid me. Then I sink into the force...

Post #2:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/558093-alt-helmet-mag-takaimo/?p=6292852

Post #3:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/558093-alt-helmet-mag-takaimo/?p=6297897

Post #4:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/558093-alt-helmet-mag-takaimo/?p=6304397

Post #5:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/558093-alt-helmet-mag-takaimo/?p=6315321

pOST #6:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/558093-alt-helmet-mag-takaimo/?p=6337327

Post #7 - ???

All Finished!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=564773302

http://polycount.com/discussion/160838/alt-helmete-mag-takaimo

Edited by Takai

Post #2:

There are times when I sculpt in silence. While working on some more base shape ideas and tweaking some existing. I like to use very heavy handed brushes when making basic shapes: Trim dynamic, clay, clay tubes, clay build (no alpha), clip curve. On the fifth (the right) I made a IMM real quick with the zModel brush. More than likely this will be a part of the "culture" concept pass (maybe not), regardless, its getting added to the Tenno IMM I have been adding to for a long time. I ran the earlier shapes by friends and they liked #3 and #1. I honestly dont like #3, it looks like what has been done and kinda like a fruit basket. These are what I came up with after a few hours. The next step after my and friends consideration is to pick one, then do some panel loop conception, and choose the best one, then commit. 

5.jpg

Edited by Takai

Post #3:

I picked one I like and my friends picked some other ones. Now its time for a panel/secondary shape concept pass on them. This is just to break up the base shape. Here, I want to look at some Warframe reference, see how he panels the helmets. I am not seeing alot of bolts, but more like fasteners and female ports. the Mag alt helmet that looks like headphones, has fem imput ports in alot of corner-ish places on the shapes. So I am going to kinda invision the panels like that. The newer helmets really imply and push this bio-mech or living metal implication, and I wanna try to catch that. 

The specific technique or workflow process used here is fairly quick when your head is down and your mind is in alignment: 

- High resolution Dynamesh (like 1024 for this scale)

- Slice Curve Brush (cut as best you can on the negative side of the X Axis)

- Mirror and weld (because it mirrors from the negative side)

- Patch and refine Polygroups if you have to

- Lasso Slice Curve Brush (Just take your Slice Curve Brush and change its stroke to "Lasso")

- Try to not get noisy (the warframes have noise focal points, but are not uniform shape noise)

10.jpg

9.jpg

- After you cut, you can Group loops or zRemesh. Depends on how you want to build your secondary shapes.

- Select the Group Loops inner edge and inverse the selection, we just want the panels isolated. Mask the non panels.

8.jpg

- Do a panel loops, play with the thickness you want, go -100 to hold your old shape, I used "Double" for double sided panels on mine. I will delete the inner unseen geo later. Remember, this is just building a shape to project with. 

- Then, turn on "Mask by Polygroups" to 100 on your Move brush, turn off "Line" on polyframes, and tweak the shapes.

- Here, I just want to define things. To say "This is its own panel". Nothing more.

- Do a Auto Groups, Delete any weird stuff (like on mine, the inner group loop I forgot to delete), Then mirror it (unless you go Asymmetrical)

7.jpg

You can concept further after this. Infact, this is a great place to play around (if your not on strict concept). Cut different panels and pull them out different ways. I think I am only going to do this three times with two of the base shape concepts for now.

6.jpg

Dynamesh at a decent resolution here. Clean up, start defining and refining with your hard surface brushes. You can still be loose here, and make changes. 

Edited by Takai

Post #4:

Here I do a group split, properly zRemesh to use SubD levels on each piece, start cleaning and defining and refining. Here the focus is Tirshirary forms. Here I want to try to be careful. This is a good study too, to see where MB likes to guide the eyes with tirsh forms in his designs, and try to emulate it. 

11.jpg

I will just look at some WF references and study them while I work. I use a hard surface workflow. The floaty bits (the squarish things) are just a test... to see if I like them.

12.jpg

14.jpg

I added some to the IMM brush I was playing with. I nearly forgot you can turn these guys into alphas too. Here you can also use mask-> extract, then zRemesh the piece, and play with the zmodel brush on the piece or just sculpt it. 

13_1.jpg

I really like the helmet you continued with. It really suits Mag, although the Corpus theme feels a bit out of place, as if you she slapped a bunch of metal plates to her face. I would have made smoother, rounded edges, rather then the blocky Corpus style. Kindof feels like a Valkyr alt helmet.

Edited by Institute-Marksman

*Chains her helmet to the ceiling*

I uhhh.... dont know how to respond to that. 

EDIT: Oh, you mean like it looks like a car engine that you chain up when you are working on it. I c iC!

epoyd0p1lyc8.jpg

iz0r8smezl9y.jpg

Edited by Takai

• 2 weeks later...