Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Man Spends $30,000 On Star Citizen

TheErebus.

Yeah. 

I've seen people donate $10,000 dollars to kickstarter movies. 

But what if it fails?

When people have enough cash to spend generously on their hobbies.

Ahh, the dream life.

Not to step on his decision, but he is spending a lot on a relatively risky hobby, with little returns. 

Not to step on his decision, but he is spending a lot on a relatively risky hobby, with little returns.

Most hobbies aren't meant to be things that you earn your money back with.

A hobby is something you do to enjoy yourself. Your return is the enjoyment you reap, not a cash return. Most gamers play games as a hobby; you and me. I don't expect anyone to buy my copy of a game disk for more than I paid for it, but I don't care. It was $60 well-spent, that I had hours and hours of fun with.

What if the game fails? You move on. I've spent thousands of hours into Warframe, in-game and out of it. I recognize my efforts will ultimately be for naught, but that isn't the point. The point is is that I had fun.

What if the game fails? You move on. I've spent thousands of hours into Warframe, in-game and out of it. I recognize my efforts will ultimately be for naught, but that isn't the point. The point is is that I had fun.

Yeah, exactly. At least this fellow can rest easy knowing that he did more than his fair share to prevent the game's failure. It would be painful to know that this game was offering the world, but failed - and you could've stopped it if you had supported it.

I'm not saying it isn't excessive, but I'm proud to support Warframe monetarily because I believe in it (even though that belief has been shaken by certain developments) so I can certainly share the sentiment, and I won't make fun of this man for doing it.

Most hobbies aren't meant to be things that you earn your money back with.

Not just money; what about knowledge? I would happily spend lots of money on a hobby if I know I would gain important knowledge on its subject matter, for one. 

I know that, but that does not mean it is still a risky investment nonetheless. 

Whoa, that's more than I've earned in my entire life combined.

I made 45k last year in my old job. Too bad the government screwed the country over, and made a lot of businesses go under, and a lot of people made redundant. Good old Dohn Key, worst Prime minister in the history of prime ministers, honestly, a piece of cheese could run our country better.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen