The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

At this point, the Tenno are far from "honorable" because their crippled bodies are in chairs away from the action. When they finally get fit enough for actual combat instead of the whole "plug into the Matrix" thing and actually kill a mob with their own two hands, then they can get their "honor" back.

You say that as if there was no downside to what they do and they were doing nothing.

The operators are feeling what the Warframe is feeling due to transferance. All those cuts, stabs, shots, explosions, impacts, freezes, burns, shocks the warframe is getting; yeah they just have to sit there and take it. Every manuver to avoid this pain or strike down somethinf is from the skill of the operators control.

They might have less of a risk of dying but the trade off is that they still feel that pain and have to endure it and keep on going.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

I feel the same way OP. I always felt like I was mercenary or dog of war with my own interests in mind. 

I feel there is still a way to feel that way with the game maintaining its current place. That would be for the operator to be bridge between us the player and warframe. Like a tuner. Example would be Melfina from Outlaw Star. The player would be the captain. The operator just helps us communicate to the frame nothing more. Unfortunately for this to happen the game will have to break the fourth wall and acknowledge the players existence. 

If you didn't want this ending, then you should've ignored the quest and kept it as the "old" Warframe.

I like the operator, I only dislike the way he says random stuff every know and then in missions, since I can't tell if he's talking to me or himself (Either way, he's doing one thing)

I didn't have the chance to. I avoided spoilers on the forums so I could enjoy the story without spoilers.

because of that I had no way of knowing what was going to happen until it did.

its sorta like stepping into a minefield and getting yours legs blown off. unless you have a metal detector or are in a tank there's no way to avoid it.

• 4 weeks later...

You say that as if there was no downside to what they do and they were doing nothing.

The operators are feeling what the Warframe is feeling due to transferance. All those cuts, stabs, shots, explosions, impacts, freezes, burns, shocks the warframe is getting; yeah they just have to sit there and take it. Every manuver to avoid this pain or strike down somethinf is from the skill of the operators control.

They might have less of a risk of dying but the trade off is that they still feel that pain and have to endure it and keep on going.

Then we remember Teshin's Conclave and the whole point of going to the moon in the Second Dream quest in the first place, because they don't die. Their feeling is clearly dulled and they can bail when they want anyway. Its not sympathetic or suspenseful. They are making the Grineer and Corpus crew more sympathetic than the Tenno.

Even if they did risk themselves with this tranference crap, it defeats the point of the puppet show.

Edited by UrielColtan

I just came back to Warframe recently, after a few months off and somehow, I avoided all spoilers for the quest. After I finished it, I couldn't help but think about the obsession in anime, to have children fighting or operating huge robots. I just don't get the allure of the concept. Worse, it's more than seeped its way into modern, Western movies too. The Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent...why are these children being put into such important roles?

Whether intentional or not on the part of DE, stalker literally lampoons people like you who cannot handle the reveal.

He found out what he really was while still dreaming of being a warframe and went insane. And is now lashing out at fellow warframes and siding with someone who should be an orokins worst enemy simply because he couldn't handle the reveal.

What with Clem and now Stalker it seems DE do have a sense of humour after all.

A bad sense of humor. Mocking your customers and denying them their own custom autonomy is not a direction you want to go down.

Its also a very immature binary scenario. "Either you like our crap reveal that was never needed, or you are as bad as Hitler." No wonder the devs feel affinity towards children avatars, in their M rated game, if they are thinking like this.

Obviously they suspected that the awful reveal was such bullS#&$ that they felt they needed to make the disgust toward it, the background for Stalker now, to shield themselves from any detractors. Its a typical haphazard and cheap story telling move. Its like Roland Emmerich having negative caricatures of Siskel and Ebert in his 90s rendition of Godzilla, because they criticized his prior idiocy from his previous movies and would no doubt pan his Godzilla movie.

They demoted Stalker from a private agent and undermined his background as a lower guard agent who has been awake for millennia and originally hunted the Tenno because they betrayed the Orokin, only to now make him be a petty henchmen of the very enemies of the Orokin, and is  just on a vendetta because he can't stand himself. Its crap.

Edited by UrielColtan

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2015 at 3:16 PM, achromos said:

You don't get it?  You are the Operator.  You.  You were never the warframe.  You, as the Operator may favor a warframe over another, and before the second dream, thought that it was you.  Then you woke up, then it was revealed.  You realized that you are the pupped master, you are the one with the toys.  You aren't the one in control of someone.  Your control is never removed, you don't have to play as whatever warframe is chosen for you.

This explains why you, and other Tenno are able to switch so easily from body-to-body, this explains a lot and opens up new questions.  Yes, I do get that it destroys a lot of head-cannon but there is nothing to do but accept the fact that the person sitting in the liset?  The one you customize and gain focus experience with when you put a lens on your warframe?  Is you.

You are the kid.

The kid is the puppet master.

The puppet master is thousands of years old and probably not a kid by any definition other then shape.

That is right, you are not longer a badass space ninja. You are no longer a warrior.

Your warframes are no longer individuals. They are no longer suits you wear. They are just like guns, replacable.

You are now, some god damn brat. Why? Because someone thought people can only Emphasizes with a human face. Well, sorry..It just makes me want to punch the game even more. Hell, they could of kept the damn helmet on and never Relieved It, at least it would be less depressing.

41 minutes ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

That is right, you are not longer a badass space ninja. You are no longer a warrior.

Your warframes are no longer individuals. They are no longer suits you wear. They are just like guns, replacable.

You are now, some god damn brat. Why? Because someone thought people can only Emphasizes with a human face. Well, sorry..It just makes me want to punch the game even more. Hell, they could of kept the damn helmet on and never Relieved It, at least it would be less depressing.

How come when you use the wrong word you also capitalize it? XD

If only the final cinematic was in first person... I'd still have liked it more if we were inside the suit or, as a guy said, we were just incomprehensible energy, but at least it would have been better than this S#&$.

Think of it like this.

The Tenno is there.

But what if, the Warframe, isn't as powerless as it seems...and you are still the consciousness capable of switching between bodies?

I'd love it if in the future we get a choice where we get to transfer our consciousness to the Warframes completely, becoming a cephalon like being and freeing ourselves from our frail self. 

The part where DE messed up imo was adding voice lines and faces. Keep the mask on, and you can still project yourself in there, and let you make up how you react in your head.

But hey, the lore ain't done. Keep watching-maybe there's more DE has left to say, more to reveal yet, because you remember what they said in a recent stream?

U18 was just the basement.... 

say what you will. I absolutely loved the direction they went. And ever since I finished it. I feel like I have a deeper connection with the frame I used to finish it(Excalibur). I am the operator, the Tenno and that IS my Warframe the one I ultimately identify myself with.

5 hours ago, Evanescent said:

I'd love it if in the future we get a choice where we get to transfer our consciousness to the Warframes completely, becoming a cephalon like being and freeing ourselves from our frail self. 

That is what the Second Dream was. You were the Warframe without the worry of a body. The problem now with becoming something like that is that they've been building on top of the idea that your real body also happens to be the source of your space magic, and this was long before second dream. Revealing what they really were was a twist, trying to take that away would be a backpeddle and those don't tend to be written well.

9 hours ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

If I recall correctly I think it was specifically to balance them out. It gives them a weakness that keeps them from basically being every other super-soldier archetype. I mean the Tenno are trained in stealth, hacking, sabotage, martial arts, architecture, marksmanship, and even space or underwater combat; they can do it all.

They needed something to counterbalance that or else risk mary/gary sue-dom. Being physically children just happen to fit as a visual story reminder of the parent/child connection they have with the Lotus and make their situation even more tragic.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

I completely agree with the OP, and have muted the operator and for the most part ignore the silly tween in the back of the ship. That said, I realize that as much as I personally don't like it DE is not going to change it. The game is still a fun shooter, and a fun game to run both solo and with a squad of friends. Even though the 2nd dream has taken some of the immersion away for some of us the best you can do is try to ignore it and carry on as normal

10 hours ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

Nice necro dude. Why, just why couldn't you just let it die?

1 hour ago, brucifer1 said:

I completely agree with the OP, and have muted the operator and for the most part ignore the silly tween in the back of the ship. That said, I realize that as much as I personally don't like it DE is not going to change it. The game is still a fun shooter, and a fun game to run both solo and with a squad of friends. Even though the 2nd dream has taken some of the immersion away for some of us the best you can do is try to ignore it and carry on as normal

This, sadly.

21 hours ago, (PS4)Lowk721 said:

If I recall correctly I think it was specifically to balance them out. It gives them a weakness that keeps them from basically being every other super-soldier archetype. I mean the Tenno are trained in stealth, hacking, sabotage, martial arts, architecture, marksmanship, and even space or underwater combat; they can do it all.

They needed something to counterbalance that or else risk mary/gary sue-dom. Being physically children just happen to fit as a visual story reminder of the parent/child connection they have with the Lotus and make their situation even more tragic.

Well, I am back and less salty, so I will give a less pissy take on what i was saying,

I still dislike the children. It has less to do with their being a mind in control of a warframe, and more the fact It is a kid (with limited voice/design choices) and all of them make me think about space boy Jesus in mass effect 3 and say super cringy stuff or in my case pop up when you are in the middle of doing something and make ya jump with their one liners thinking a boss just poped into your walk around. 

That and they are only their for the new AOE spell thing they created.

And as far as everything the warframe does being mary-sueish. Remember they are weak without the warframe armor, their is a suit under the suit and we have battle other warframes (mesa and the dragon) and hell even had warframes mind controlled and even pulled apart and rebuilt into fighting dog robots. The second skin on a warframe is what makes It super overpowered. Really, It is more like their is this supply of tools the other factions seems to refuse to use and suffer for It sometimes. (IE bad writing) 

And really, the risk is kind of removed and the dranger disabled once you get the kid into the pod, now they are basically another power up for the warframe. But, unlike Odius I am not gonna grow to be ok/enjoy It. Because, once again it is a kid who says one liners and talks about these beings like they are pokemon.

I know people like the puppet and how to train your dragon debate about how the warframe and Tenno act. But, It feels more like that Generic pokemon feel, Like the Tenno talk about how powerful the warframe is (their warframe) but as soon as the warframe gets into the heavy scrap they sigh like when someone gets crited in pokemon.

Sadily, all this does is make me feel bad for the warframes, they are (Golems) they are not good nor evil or see themselves as such. The game is called (warframe) no (tenno) and It shows. They are the ones who get blasted,tormented, threaten to have their blood drunk, and always on the line, everyone sees them as a resources not beings. They are treated as tools, and It is not like they show free will. They show it, they resist as the stalker thing showed (they did not know It could do that).

I'm sorry, I still feel more pity for the golems then the dying kids and their mother who tricks millions of golems into thinking she was talking to them and not some child in their head. Or maybe they knew, I mean the question reminds. Are the kids controlling the warframes and they are us. Or are we the pokemon and the little kid is the trainer who just says stuff.

3 hours ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

Sadily, all this does is make me feel bad for the warframes, they are (Golems) they are not good nor evil or see themselves as such. The game is called (warframe) no (tenno) and It shows. They are the ones who get blasted,tormented, threaten to have their blood drunk, and always on the line, everyone sees them as a resources not beings. They are treated as tools, and It is not like they show free will. They show it, they resist as the stalker thing showed (they did not know It could do that).

I'm sorry, I still feel more pity for the golems then the dying kids and their mother who tricks millions of golems into thinking she was talking to them and not some child in their head. Or maybe they knew, I mean the question reminds. Are the kids controlling the warframes and they are us. Or are we the pokemon and the little kid is the trainer who just says stuff.

I agree with this... to an extent. DE does seem to be implying the Warframes are alive, but we have no confirmation at this point. If that is confirmed to be the case, I think I will probably agree with you fully.

You can totally turn the Operator's popups off, though.