Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler]I Am Tenno. I Am Excalibur

alfaomega04

HUGE SPOILER Don't read if you haven't played Second Dream. Sorry, totally forgot to add the spoiler tag in the title.

So this is my take on the Second Dream quest. This ignores a lot of the lore and makes many assumptions but it is how I have made sense given the events of the new quest and how I came to grips with my tenno.

So here's my take on the Tenno and the warframes.

Each tenno had unique special abilities and so each of them had a frame made that tailored to their talents. Adult clones of each tenno were synthetically grown and infused with void energy. They were neither fully human, nor pure energy. These clones, who were without a consciousness, donned the armor.  Through transference, the real tenno could control these inanimate surrogates. These were the primes. 

The events recounted in the quest about the moon and the  hiding of the tenno in the void take place. The prime Warframes are lost but the tenno are kept safely in slumber by the Lotus. With sentient technology, she is able to recreate the surrogates of each of the tenno and creates for each of them a functional approximation of the original frame. These are the the non-primes. 

The time comes when the Lotus brings the warframes out of their frozen state, awakens the tenno from sleep and into their Second Dream. I am tenno, I am the first, I am Excalibur.

I also would like to add that it is very likely the Lotus (or whatever created the new Warframes) made multiples of some of them which are still kept in cryosleep as unconscious placeholders. However, this does not make the woken Warframes expendable since some of the copies might already be missing and unable to be replaced. Furthermore, some of the still sleeping tenno have their Warframe stuck in cryosleep due to the Lotus being unable to make contact with the frozen Warframe. 

As for the stalker, I like the idea others have presented and how he was a prototype. He became the failed experiment of putting the tenno himself inside the warframe armor. His human body was unable to control the void energy which became amplified by the suit. It eventually corrupted him into a being driven by hate.

First assumption: a tenno cannot change frames

I choose to reject the idea that my operator simply controls whatever frame he wishes. No, my operator IS that particular frame. In my eyes, each frame has a distinct and unique personality along with each frame also having their own skills. This boils down to each frame being specifically designed around each tenno and NOT simply as suits which can be exchanged at will. Each tenno developed different abilities and the frame simply enhances and focuses their innate talents. 

Second assumption: only one of each type of frame exists

There are no multiple Loki's or Nyx's. The game allows this for the sake of gameplay, just like other games allow players to play the same character as others in their squad. For example how in Dungeon Defenders there can be more than one apprentice or monk in a single squad. However, in the game universe, there is only one of each.

Third assumption: you role play other Tenno

By this I mean that this is how we get to play other frames. We do not unzip one frame and put on the other, we just role play as other tenno and, consequently, different frames. 

So no, my Excalibur doesn't turn into a Nova. I simply play as my tenno when playing as Excalibur and roleplay as other tenno when I switch frames. For me, this keep the individuality of each Warframe. It also throws out the idea that we are machines which can be replaced at will. I'll just pretend DE means to include customization of the different tenno based each individual Warframe but just didn't have enough time to implement the feature. 

TL;DR: My tenno IS Excalibur. I roleplay as other tenno when using differnt frames. 

EDIT: moved story up.

Edited by alfaomega04

Gonna write some of my thoughts on your answers in bold below.

EDIT, i will underline my answers too since bold doesnt stand out ..

So this is my take on the Second Dream quest. This ignores a lot of the lore and makes many assumptions but it is how I have made sense given the events of the new quest and how I came to grips with my tenno.

First assumption: a tenno cannot change frames

I choose to reject the idea that my operator simply controls whatever frame he wishes. No, my operator IS that particular frame. In my eyes, each frame has a distinct and unique personality along with each frame also having their own skills. This boils down to each frame being specifically designed around each tenno and NOT simply as suits which can be exchanged at will. Each tenno developed different abilities and the frame simply enhances and focuses their innate talents. 

Disagree here. First of this logic does not suffice when our Operator plays multiple Warframes. It is the Warframe that has the abilities, it is the Tenno that enhance and focus them not the other way around. Warframes are living organic pieces of metal that can be manipulated by the Tenno. Think of Warframes like Pokemon.

Second assumption: only one of each type of frame exists

There are no multiple Loki's or Nyx's. The game allows this for the sake of gameplay, just like other games allow players to play the same character as others in their squad. For example how in Dungeon Defenders there can be more than one apprentice or monk in a single squad. However, in the game universe, there is only one of each.

Disagree here too. There is evidence which suggests there are multiple Warframes. First being the fact that Mirage and Limbo died, the originals that is. When we get blueprints for a Warframe all we are doing is simply using that blueprint to copy the DNA using the originals as a template. 

Third assumption: you role play other Tenno

By this I mean that this is how we get to play other frames. We do not unzip one frame and put on the other, we just role play as other tenno and, consequently, different frames. 

Disagree here too. What do you even mean by unzip? We don't put the frames on, the Tenno influence the organic living Warframes and bend them to their will and they can pick and choose whichever frame they want. And again just see Warframes as like Pokemon

TL;DR: My tenno IS Excalibur. I roleplay as other tenno when using differnt frames. 

I don't understand this logic, your Tenno is HIMSELF, he is not a particular Warframe. Warframes are just living organic metal shells the Tenno can manipulate and they can pick and choose which Warframe they can manipulate.

Tenno have void powers, they can focus void energy.
Now imagine a prism, when white light passes through it splits into all the visible colours on the spectrum.

Tenno are the white light.
A Warframe is the prism.
The different colours on the spectrum represent how the Tenno's void energy can be used to split into different abilities that the Warframe uses.

Edited by Sabrewolfe

So no, my Excalibur doesn't turn into a Nova. I simply play as my tenno when playing as Excalibur and roleplay as other tenno when I switch frames. For me, this keep the individuality of each Warframe. It also throws out the idea that we are machines which can be replaced at will. I'll just pretend DE means to include customization of the different tenno based each individual Warframe but just didn't have enough time to implement the feature. 

I have to agree with this alot, I Roleplay the excat same way, Each frame has its own Tenno, however I have made it, that one of my Tennos can control more then one frame, For Example: My Tenno (Myself) Controls Ash Prime, as his main, but at times he controls Limbo.

If there's only one of each Frame, then Loki and Excal are dead. We saw Alad V chop up an Excal, and the Stalker has a Loki's head in the opening cinematic of The Second Dream.

Loki has a serial number printed on him, the non-prime frames are mass-produced, sorry.

Not one of each frame, but one of each type. So multiple loki's, but only ONE loki active at a time. 

Both of these are addressed in the origin story of the Warframes I provided. The tenno can only control one frame at a time (however, they cannot switch types of frames) but there are more suits of armor ready to be activated in case the current one is destroyed. Even so, their numbers are very limited.

Gonna write some of my thoughts on your answers in bold below.

EDIT, i will underline my answers too since bold doesnt stand out ..

That's what doesn't sit right with me. I don't like the idea where the tenno simply picks a warframe and controls that suit. That raises the question on why the warframes were even given a specif sex and on who was each of their designs inspired. Else it would make more sense for the warframes to be androgynous humanoid robots. 

So in my story, my tenno cannot shut off (that's what I meant by "unzip") a loki frame and then just activate a valkyr frame and use all her abilities by channeling void energy. Each tenno had unique abilities which was how the void energy manifested in each of them. The warframe armor just channeled and focused it since in the quest we are given clues how the children could not control their own outburst of energy. 

For example. Let's say we have the tenno Sarah, Robert, and Michelle. The void energy in Sarah manifested as fire, in Robert as electrical, and in Michelle as magnetic. Hence they became Ember, Volt, and Mag and as so, Sarah can only ever power an Ember frame, Robert a Volt frame, and Michelle a Mag frame. 

Anyway, these assumptions are made to  make my story work which is how I made sense of the tenno and the different frames that exist. 

Do you also ignore Ordis and just think to yourself "Ah you silly little thing again with the whole operator thing. How many times must I tell you, you do not need to keep me hidden in the void, I am not in the void I am right here." and likewise ignore anything else that further implies that you are not the warframe armor itself? 

What does it matter anyway? You can play whatever frame you want, you are not a special snowflake, others can play the same frame but you can customize it and mod it how you want. In the missions you "are" the Excalibur, you are that badass who is slicing through a S#&$ton of enemies. Think of it like Iron Man. The real you isn't just a human (well Tony is but he is like one of the smartest people on earth in that universe) but the real you also isn't as cool as he is in his suit.