The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's The Best Thing To Show New Players?

Shanduul

Question

Recently two of my friends started playing WF and both looked to me to help them out,

problem is that as a solo-only player I don't know what gives best drops and slash or affinity when playing multiplayer or what order to go through missions in (i.e. should I show them OD and Void missions or stick to the starchart?)

both are below MR 1 and don't have max lvl warframe (Excalibur for both)

20 answers to this question

Stick to the starchart, show them about modding, weapons, crafting weapons and warframes.  Show them how to move. Go to different tile-sets and show them how to use parkour, bullet jumps, and aim glides to be really effective at not getting hit so they can survive at high levels when they get there.  Maybe go to an exterminate mission to clear out enemies and then just play around showing them stuff about the tilesets and let them practice getting around and across it quickly.

Edited by Gelkor

Mods and Modding is priority.  Fusing priority.

When I started, i was so hesitant to mod or fuse because POOF....Where did it go?, What did I just do?

WTF is a fusion core...When do i use that?, Should i use that?  Is that fuel/power for my warframe?  How come it wont go into the mod slots?

Why is there a crack in some, and others not?

What does damaged mean?  What do the "dots" signify?

Some have 3 dots, some 5, some 10.  WTF?!?!

What does the DASH, "V", "D" mean.  Polarity?  Does using a certain polarity sitting next to another polarity affect anything.  Polarity like electricity?

Why do some slots have a polarity already?  Why does it turn green when I place it in a spot with that icon, but sometimes its RED.

Then after they say "oooooooooh" and you take away mysterious stigma...explain to them the core/essential mods versus the ones they'll almost never use.  This way they arent fusing useful mods like Vitality into Maglev, when they should be saving them to max out thier vitality or redirection etc...or fusing gold(rare) mods into copper (common)

Simple simple simple things like that had no explanation.

Warframe builder would help new players a lot in my opinion http://warframe-builder.com/

This should be done only after they have been through the basics of weapon mechanics. Having really high DPS is great, but that doesn't help you much if you run out of ammo in 10 seconds (e.g. stacking fire rate on bullet hoses) or can't hit the broadside of a barn (e.g. Heavy Caliber on the Ogris or Miter).

Indeed, mods are important to learn early, but make sure not to throw too much info at them. If they don't like complexity in games, don't go too deep into details. Instead, just tell them core infos like mission goals and mod fusion. They will learn the rest with experience and ask you questions as they progress.

Edited by Biomod1150

thx for all the feedback guys! At what point should i start showing them void and OD missions, should I leave that until after they have a lvl 30 warframe or just whenever they feel confident in the not-getting-shot part?

Edited by AgentEpsilon477

thx for all the feedback guys! At what point should i start showing them void and OD missions, should I leave that until after they have a lvl 30 warframe of just whenever they feel confident in the not-getting-shot part?

When I just started out I soloed T1 stuff about the time I got to sedna, so if you bring a support frame they should do fairly well I think

Take them whenever they feel confident enough to do it.  The only missions where failure is truly punished hard enough to be careful are probably raids, which I would hold off on.  Otherwise, the only real setback you suffer is learning how your team handles defeat.  The Void isn't really that tough anyway until you get to the T4 missions or start trying to hold out past 30 minutes/6 rounds on the endless ones.

Anyway, if you never fail, or are at least never in a position to possibly fail, then what's the point?