Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Alt Helmet] Nekros - Lazarus (Now For Sale in Steam Workshop)

Syncrasis

Just poking in to let you guys know I'm still working on this. Today I made the little spines that stick out the sides, and started cleaning up the crests. I also made a bunch of minor proportion adjustments, especially on the area where the Mortos syandana attaches to. Here's a little turntable render:

https://youtu.be/lgmwxQWe-n0

nekros_helmetWIP12_zps0mgap9xv.jpg

nekros_helmetWIP11_zpswdemqs9i.jpg

I know it's hard to see how the segment connecting the Mortos and the helmet together is hard to see... basically it's a ^ shape, connecting at the bottom, and there are two "whiskers" kind of flaring out which I will define more. 

tumblr_o0u0cldq9Z1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0u0cldq9Z1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg

I changed a few things: mainly, the pieces coming out the cheek areas. Decided I needed to make it look more like some of the pieces on Nekros' body and also make the front of the helmet flow into the side a little better by connecting it with a big loop. 

Also added 6 optics and a bunch of details to the everything. More to come!

tumblr_o0u0cldq9Z1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0u0cldq9Z1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg

I changed a few things: mainly, the pieces coming out the cheek areas. Decided I needed to make it look more like some of the pieces on Nekros' body and also make the front of the helmet flow into the side a little better by connecting it with a big loop. 

Also added 6 optics and a bunch of details to the everything. More to come!

Why did you decide to remove the two big cheek pieces? i thought they looked nice. The helmet still looks fantastic by the way :D

Oh man, you can almost pull those whisker looking things on the side of the mouth area and make somewhat like a fu-Manchu shape.  I just thought of Lo Phan from Big Trouble in LIttle China.  Plus the downward flow would go well with the mortos binds going down from his helmet to the body.  Makes me think of the Quintessons or Wreck-Gar from the transformers animated movie.

Why did you decide to remove the two big cheek pieces? i thought they looked nice. The helmet still looks fantastic by the way :D

The larger ones I was having trouble resolving into anything that looked Tenno-style, they  just felt too much like generic sci fi panel treatment. It was also mentioned by someone outside the forums that I didn't have much Nekros body bits iterated into the helmet so I kind of took those two things and felt around. As for the smaller ones... well they clip through the front body ribbon things after many tweaks and adjustments so I trimmed 'em down. Suppose I could experiment with bringing them back with a more forward design tho. I'll have a think on it!

Oh man, you can almost pull those whisker looking things on the side of the mouth area and make somewhat like a fu-Manchu shape.  I just thought of Lo Phan from Big Trouble in LIttle China.  Plus the downward flow would go well with the mortos binds going down from his helmet to the body.  Makes me think of the Quintessons or Wreck-Gar from the transformers animated movie.

You know it's weird, I was thinking the exact same thing lol. The Fu Manchu is one of my favorite mustaches and I might just do that!

When I got rid of the larger pieces I felt a little sad to get rid of the Dr. Robotnik 'stache... Although I gotta say I like the new direction with the side loop things a ton more overall. 

Thanks for your crits guys!

Edited by Syncrasis

Lol, yeah getting rid of the generic paneling look is definitely what I wanted to do. As for it being greeble, I don't know, just seems like panels the way they were looking. I tend to think of this helmet like a big spaceship and the smaller details that stick up, like the extra optics on the fins and the little edge spines as "greeble". Dunno if that's technically correct or not tho. 

3kzyi49qjru4.jpg

Front and back views, with and without the mortos (and connecting bracket). I've simplified the lines on the fins a bit, hopefully it reads better and "you can tell what you're looking at" now lol.

Back view:

r1wz3tx32q30.jpg

Edited by Syncrasis

Render from earlier today:

96kazj6uhyj0.jpg

This looks really good, lots of shapes to look at. I was thinking, have you descided on colorable areas and energy-spots?

Not yet, I'll fool around with that stuff on the tintmask instead of polypaint though. Will be large sections of color to group details together.

And I thinking you're adding WAY too many details. Should just take what you have at the bottom there and work with that.

Thanks, yeah definitely, so today I went through and got rid of a lot of stuff again and redid the connection piece for the Mortos (now it's just a single leg instead of a double with tendrils on it). 

Current state: Here is where I'd like to call the high poly done, unless anyone else has some thoughts. I'll start retopo tomorrow but can make small-medium changes at any point until I finalize the textures. Color grouping should resolve any further surface noise problems (hopefully).

tvx7z9japaui.jpg

Edited by Syncrasis