The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Grineer Hacking Panel And U18 Performance

BlackVortex

The grineer hacking panel has always had some issues for me

it drops my fps significantly when zoomed into the panel and since U18 with it's own performance drops they are now almost unplayable for me from time to time

it is weird that some of them run just fine (40-50fps), but others drop to 10-15 fps which is just horrible

now normally this wouldnt be such an issue for me because the grineer hacking panels usually cannot fail

except in sortie missions...

it now has become a serious issue for me when I do a spy mission in Sortie

I now have to hope to get hacking panels with normal fps because it is nearly impossible to hack them with the fps drops

Finishing A and B in Sortie Spy and then failing C because of the fps drops just makes me want to Alt+F4 and uninstall the game for wasting my time

I also have fps drops in other missions which can be very annoying

I've also noticed extreme memory leaks where the game would claim it is using 650MB and windows would tell me it's actually using over 1.3GB of memory

this issue is also new to me as I had not seen such a high difference before between the game and windows

I think this might also be the reason that I crash a lot now on missions like Ceres:Draco when I'm running 2-4 rounds, the game just freezes for 1-2 minutes and then kicks me out with a crash report

I was kind of disappointed by this considering I haven't crashed in the game for such a long time, I thought the time of constant crashes was long gone

prior to Update 18 I had none of these issues aside from the grineer hacking panel fps drops

Not sure if it fails the hack or not but you can press ESC on a hack to get out and you can then re-enter it, may help you find some of the panels to not drop your frames but again not sure if that counts as a failure or not haven't tested it on a spy mission

if you esc on a hack panel in sortie spy missions it instantly triggers the alarm so thats a no-go

it is becoming increasingly annoying, because on the hack panels where there is no fps drops I sometimes finish them in 3-4 seconds because they are that easy

now they just have become extremely hard because when you press spacebar when it's right on it, there is a delay and you might hit the pin 2 spaces next to it

after 3 fails it triggers the alarm

I am redoing todays first sortie mission for the 5th time due to this... well bug

if you esc on a hack panel in sortie spy missions it instantly triggers the alarm so thats a no-go

it is becoming increasingly annoying, because on the hack panels where there is no fps drops I sometimes finish them in 3-4 seconds because they are that easy

now they just have become extremely hard because when you press spacebar when it's right on it, there is a delay and you might hit the pin 2 spaces next to it

after 3 fails it triggers the alarm

I am redoing todays first sortie mission for the 5th time due to this... well bug

What is your ping to the server(probably not the issue since you said FPS drops but it's worth looking)? if you have a hard time hacking you could join a game with others and let them do it maby would save you some time if you can get a good enough squad(which is usually the case as long as you use recruiting)

I personally find the higher tier Grineer panels a problem on my 4:3 screen. I can barely tell what the rightmost peg is doing because of it.

What is your ping to the server(probably not the issue since you said FPS drops but it's worth looking)? if you have a hard time hacking you could join a game with others and let them do it maby would save you some time if you can get a good enough squad(which is usually the case as long as you use recruiting)

Ping to the server would be irrelevant as the game uses P2P and that kind of stuff is client-side. I do know my FPS is much higher when I am alone in a squad than when I have a group. Might try doing stuff solo and with a group and see if theres any FPS difference.

Edited by Horonelius

Low FPS actually makes grineer hacking easier due to slower spinning, just be wary that if you are used to high fps hacking, you can unawarerily toggle single pin multiple times that it makes hacking to fail. Also be sure to take with you Liset air support charges, as it gives extra 10 seconds if you trigger alarms.

i experience this when people are needlessly ability spamming in the battery dispenser of LoR, so i cannot hack there :P

but yeah, hacking needs to cut out particle effects/sound and provide a dark circle under the hack wheel.

90% of the time abilities lag out/blind the UI and i have to rely on muscle memory for the hack.

Low FPS actually makes grineer hacking easier due to slower spinning, just be wary that if you are used to high fps hacking, you can unawarerily toggle single pin multiple times that it makes hacking to fail. Also be sure to take with you Liset air support charges, as it gives extra 10 seconds if you trigger alarms.

slow downs in the UI really screw up your reaction times cause it is not the same every time :P

What's worse, you can never say if it's going to drop your fps significantly or not - it depends on the angle of view, and that changes when you start the hacking process.

Do you guys recall the grineer Spy vault, in which the main computer is protected by two, moving "layers of laser" you have to deactivate before you could safely hack it? If you go to the right from the start and look at one of the necessary consoles, it's all alright - 45-50fps in my case. But when you start to hack it suddenly drops to 10... good luck with that one.

Low FPS actually makes grineer hacking easier due to slower spinning

I see no difference in the spinning speed myself. It just skips the frames, however, the key reaction time (when I press space to the moment it pins or unpins) is significantly longer, often making me pin 1 or 2 pins further than when I was aiming at...

What settings are you all using and on what kind of computer setup? I'm playing on a (non-gaming) laptop only using on-chip graphics with a DSL connection (~75kbps) and I rarely have these kinds of issues, especially solo.

I did notice some performance drop when U18 first came out with aiming accuracy, but that seems to be fixed for me.

Edited by Maicael

What settings are you all using and on what kind of computer setup? I'm playing on a (non-gaming) laptop only using on-chip graphics with a DSL connection (~75kbps) and I rarely have these kinds of issues, especially solo.

I did notice some performance drop when U18 first came out with aiming accuracy, but that seems to be fixed for me.

this is mostly irrelevant as I didnt have most of the issues before untill U18

the grineer hacking panels as said are sometimes ok and sometimes really bad

the problem with this is its about reaction time, you anticipate it to be on the right spot on a certain moment, but if the games fps suddenly drops, you might not see the last pin and because of that you might miss it

to make it more clear, the game is stuttering at that time which makes it incredibly hard to hit it at the right time

before U18 it wasnt much of a problem because the framedrops would go down to 25ish

now they go to 10-15ish which is significantly worse

Try running the game in windowed mode 16:9 1280x720 for these occasions (if it fits the width of your screen, or reduce the size further, if not).

Also, I always thought the game UI shows how much video memory the game occupies, not RAM.

how can you think it uses video memory? it clearly states: RAM

.......... try to hack by the sound.. think of it like a rhythm game, Beatmania/DDR... I rarely have any issues, even with any FPS drops, if I hack by the sound... Learn the clicks, and turn down the music..

Edited by Klies

how can you think it uses video memory? it clearly states: RAM

It's darn hard to explain something to people in English.. But, video card's memory is also a RAM. Mine has 1 GB. I never saw in the UI more than 800+ (more often it's 500-700)MB, and I never saw in the process explorer less than 1.2 GB (at least not in the past 2 years).

Also, all other information, like frame rate, frame time, is related to video. I see no reason to include the system memory in there, especially since there is a pagefile.sys, whilst video RAM usually can't be paged.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

if only the sound was synced with the input and the hacking

at 10fps i can still hack with my eyes shut, it takes longer, but it works, if it's not viable for you i'm sorry, but it was a suggestion, and it should be sufficiently in sync to work, it was -as far as i know- designed that way.

It's darn hard to explain something to people in English.. But, video card's memory is also a RAM. Mine has 1 GB. I never saw in the UI more than 800+ (more often it's 500-700)MB, and I never saw in the process explorer less than 1.2 GB (at least not in the past 2 years).

Also, all other information, like frame rate, frame time, is related to video. I see no reason to include the system memory in there, especially since there is a pagefile.sys, whilst video RAM usually can't be paged.

system memory is commonly referred to as RAM.

and video memory can be paged, it is also known as Virtual Memory which uses your RAM to store, which can be paged, so indirectly it can be paged

Mm. There's some weirdness going on if you get two "overlays" in the screen at the same time, at least. Like, one Lotus commentary and one hacking panel.

And I know that if I try to run Warframe in "borderless windowed mode", then I get a similar problem on my laptop - because even if it has a perfectly good nvidia card, the driver insists on writing a double-instance of some sort so the buffer on the intel graphics card can render the screen. So when the bandwidth to that memory area is too slow, things croak completely. It's the same effect you see in the game when you get too many overlays. In the same way, a worse or a better dedicated card (on the desktop) with it's own pipeline doesn't have that problem.

So likely they've been a bit careless with the direct addressing on the overlays in WF. But you shouldn't see these extreme slowdowns if you run the game in a full-screen mode, even on an intel graphics card.

BUMP, all the issues above still persists

game is still running worse than ever in the last 2 years and grineer hacking panels have extreme fps drops which make them impossible to hack at times

that the mod intruder affects the speed does not resolve the issue with the visual desync caused by the fps drops

The grineer hacking panel has always had some issues for me

I've also noticed extreme memory leaks where the game would claim it is using 650MB and windows would tell me it's actually using over 1.3GB of memory

I think this might also be the reason that I crash a lot now on missions like Ceres:Draco when I'm running 2-4 rounds, the game just freezes for 1-2 minutes and then kicks me out with a crash report

We've been attempting to get the hacking puzzle issue to happen internally but we haven't been successful yet. Can you submit a log in a support ticket the next time it happens to you? Some other details I'm interested in as you say it doesn't happen 100% of the time:

• Will it still happen to the same puzzle if you cancel out and re-attempt it (outside spy)

• Have you seen any correlation between the tileset (eg, Forest, Asteroid, etc), and the chance of the issue occurring

The memory footprint we show in-game relates specifically to the heap; task manager shows the total footprint of the game, which includes things like drivers and shaders. This other memory is much more static so we're more interested in the value we display in-game. So a difference between the memory display in Warframe and the Task Manager is intended; a leak or bloat would be more along the lines or the memory display in game climbing while idle, and not being released when transitioning between missions and your Liset.

As for your Draco Crash, could you please provide the WAR-# the crash reporter provided you?

• 1 month later...