Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make All Companions Used More (Stopping The Carrier Addiction)

Mr.Holyroller

This is a simple post. If we had shared resource/mod pickups, carriers wouldn't be used as much and DE would see more of their wonderful companion creations used. Otherwise, its a complete waste to continue making kubrows/catbrows or sentinels because 90% of the community will still use carriers for the vacuum. Make it basically so that the only upside to vacuum is that you can pick up energy/health/lifesupport orbs or picking up resources for your whole team and not just yourself. Either that, or give warframes an increased range at which they can pickup items (5-10 meters) Just wondering if anyone had similar thoughts or other ways to get people off their carrier addiction.

I think it's been stated that they have no plans to change carrier... because most of the player base using one companion is somehow a good thing?

Make vacuum a utility mod for Sentinels and Kubrows.

Boom, problem solved.

Or maybe exacerbated.

This has always had my vote.

Edited by zz_tophat

Quoting myself from another thread.

The reason that Carrier is the most used isn't that a small loot vacuum is more godly than invisibility or something, it's that none of the other Sentinels' abilites are reliable.

If you walk past an item with a Carrier, you never have to worry about the item not being picked up.

You can't say the same about Shade or Wyrm because of the atrociously long cooldowns between casts, and how little the sentinels actually get to use their abilities properly because of repeated misfires.

I think DE already stated they plan on having all sentinels have the Vacuum effect & have all Kubrows have a Dig effect. So when that happens. Carrier & Sahasa Kubrows will have a new ability cards

Really? Sweet, maybe now carrier will... carry something, like more ammo or extra health and energy orbs.

Why not apply the same effect Archwings have, the innate x Meter vacuum we use in space. 

MAybe not as wide as the archwing variant, but enough to stop the Carrier addiction.

Another reason for Carrier is, let's not forget, it's devastating Sweeper[Prime]. Which most people also use Carrier for.

You can put sweeper on other sentinels, just use the -spread mod if you want it to have some range.

Edited by zz_tophat

I think DE already stated they plan on having all sentinels have the Vacuum effect & have all Kubrows have a Dig effect. So when that happens. Carrier & Sahasa Kubrows will have a new ability cards

I keep pretty close track of what is going on with DE and Warframe and have never heard this. Can you possibly source it?

Edited by xRufus7x

"or give warframes an increased range at which they can pickup items (5-10 meters)"

AMEN! I was going to make a post about it, You have taken the words out of my mouth 

maybe 10 meters is "too much" for them (DE), but I'd settle for even 5m or even 3m...even if you step on a resource with the big-toe you do not take it, is a "BIT" frustrating XD

Ps:sorry for the confusion XD I could not take the phrase

Edited by Fi-le

i said this years ago. The problem itself is the pickup radius on the warframe. Its terrible, its like you need to pinpoint dead center of a loot to pick it up. The radius increased from when i made that statement slightly but it wasnt enough.

My suggestion is still to double the pick up radius of both ( so carrier isnt obsolete ) and make it so that carrier can hold ammo/hp/energy pickups for later (limit how much it can hold ofc) and hands them out as needed.

This helps reduce dependency on carrier but still gives it a unique flavor.

I keep pretty close track of what is going on with DE and Warframe and have never heard this. Can you possibly source it?

Yuup DE stated this on a Devstream. I'm not certain which one. I look a bit for it. But it's definitely gonna be a thing thou. Just a matter of time. DE has so much on they plate now with the Focus sys.

Edited by (XB1)Cash201293

Yuup DE stated this on a Devstream. I'm not certain which one. I look a bit for it. But it's definitely gonna be a thing thou. Just a matter of time. DE has so much on they plat now with the Focus sys.

He's right. They did state this.

I don't feel a Vacuum mod is need for all carriers. It's ok in Archwing because of how massive the areas are. Are you guys really missing out on that many mods per mission? Is looking for loot not part of the game? Or is it just shoot all mobs, rinse and repeat. I don't think DE ever wanted farming to be simply standing within range and sucking up all the goodies. 

Sounds like some lazy-butt arthritic Tenno around these parts.

He's right. They did state this.

I don't feel a Vacuum mod is need for all carriers. It's ok in Archwing because of how massive the areas are. Are you guys really missing out on that many mods per mission? Is looking for loot not part of the game? Or is it just shoot all mobs, rinse and repeat. I don't think DE ever wanted farming to be simply standing within range and sucking up all the goodies. 

Sounds like some lazy-butt arthritic Tenno around these parts.

"Lazy" has nothing and will never have anything to do with the reason people use carrier. Calling people that use carriers lazy is like calling people that use weapons mods lazy "oh you want to kill things faster? that's lazy, I take longer to kill things because I'm not lazy". Gathering loot drops slows down game play, having to step on every single piece of loot that drops is obnoxious and does not belong is a game that focuses so heavily on fast movement.

Unless you are going melee only a carrier is almost never going to be in range to pick up all your loot (the whole point of using a ranged weapon is so you don't have to stand 10m away from a target), you are going to need to move around the map to get those drops.

Carrier prevents the flow breaking, fiddly "step on all the loot" mechanic that bogs down game play by forcing you in to; not only walking over everything that drops but also causes you to miss any drops that fall outside of you line of sight. In addition a carrier means the difference between running down a hallway and zigzagging everywhere so you can gather things.

"Lazy" has nothing and will never have anything to do with the reason people use carrier. Calling people that use carriers lazy is like calling people that use weapons mods lazy "oh you want to kill things faster? that's lazy, I take longer to kill things because I'm not lazy". Gathering loot drops slows down game play, having to step on every single piece of loot that drops is obnoxious and does not belong is a game that focuses so heavily on fast movement.

Unless you are going melee only a carrier is almost never going to be in range to pick up all your loot (the whole point of using a ranged weapon is so you don't have to stand 10m away from a target), you are going to need to move around the map to get those drops.

Carrier prevents the flow breaking, fiddly "step on all the loot" mechanic that bogs down game play by forcing you in to; not only walking over everything that drops but also causes you to miss any drops that fall outside of you line of sight. In addition a carrier means the difference between running down a hallway and zigzagging everywhere so you can gather things.

Read the post! Not saying people who use Carrier are lazy. I use it and others too. But I'm not asking for the feature to be on all sentinels or equippable on all sentinels.  I do feel its lazy for players to want the carrier ability on other sentinels just to make them viable. Not necessary. 

There is an epidemic within this game's community that really prevents players from moving out of their self-imposed comfort zones. They develop a playstyle and have a hard time vacillating from it. Not all in the community, but definitely too many suffer from this.

Idk. Giving Vacuum to other companions is too stupid idea. Vaccum by itself is useless in battle terms. Saves times a little, yeah. Nothing more.

Don't tell me about survivals, it's nothing even there.

If people use it - I don't mind. Huras OP.

I played with Wyrm, Wyrm Prime, Shade, Diriga, Carrier and Carrier Prime,  can say that  carrier makes my life easier, so why bother  with the others, that is why they gather dust in my inventory. 

Carrier

Vacuum The Sentinel pulls items to his owner within a certain range

Dethcube

Vaporize The Sentinel will fire a powerful beam at close enemies, dealing high damage and stunningthose that survive 30sec cooldown (gee why not a minute)

Diriga

Arc Coil Sentinel will zap multiple enemies within range.

Djinn

Fatal Attraction The Sentinel pulls enemies towards the user

Helios

etect Vulnerability The Sentinel marks damage multiplying weakspots on enemies with completed codex entries (1 random target across the map)

Shade

Ghost The Sentinel cloaks its owner when enemies are close ( short, bad timing, useless stealth)

Wyrm 

Crowd Dispersion The Sentinel unleashes a radial stun and knockdown when targets get close (almost never happens)

I played with Wyrm, Wyrm Prime, Shade, Diriga, Carrier and Carrier Prime,  can say that  carrier makes my life easier, so why bother  with the others, that is why they gather dust in my inventory. 

Carrier

Vacuum The Sentinel pulls items to his owner within a certain range

Dethcube

Vaporize The Sentinel will fire a powerful beam at close enemies, dealing high damage and stunningthose that survive 30sec cooldown (gee why not a minute)

Diriga

Arc Coil Sentinel will zap multiple enemies within range.

Djinn

Fatal Attraction The Sentinel pulls enemies towards the user

Helios

etect Vulnerability The Sentinel marks damage multiplying weakspots on enemies with completed codex entries (1 random target across the map)

Shade

Ghost The Sentinel cloaks its owner when enemies are close ( short, bad timing, useless stealth)

Wyrm 

Crowd Dispersion The Sentinel unleashes a radial stun and knockdown when targets get close (almost never happens)

Actually Detect Vulnerability on Helios will display weak points (which are not in the same place between the same enemy types) on any in range enemies. If you hit the white points you might even be able to negate all damage reduction.

Using Helios has shown me why you should always aim for the knees on Grineer.

This is a simple post. If we had shared resource/mod pickups, carriers wouldn't be used as much and DE would see more of their wonderful companion creations used. Otherwise, its a complete waste to continue making kubrows/catbrows or sentinels because 90% of the community will still use carriers for the vacuum. Make it basically so that the only upside to vacuum is that you can pick up energy/health/lifesupport orbs or picking up resources for your whole team and not just yourself. Either that, or give warframes an increased range at which they can pickup items (5-10 meters) Just wondering if anyone had similar thoughts or other ways to get people off their carrier addiction.

One perma-Invisi Loki running around picking up Energy and things for the entire team while they sit in one room spamming abilities.

We can already do that now because of the loose mechanics, I don't you'd want to make it any easier.

I'd rather see a change where we don't have to run around to pick up things at all, and move all of that to new mechanics.

Actually Detect Vulnerability on Helios will display weak points (which are not in the same place between the same enemy types) on any in range enemies. If you hit the white points you might even be able to negate all damage reduction.

Using Helios has shown me why you should always aim for the knees on Grineer.

... and use a bow?