The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet Another What-Frame-Should-I-Buy Thread [Plat Worthy Frames 2015/16]

SamuraiPizza

Question

So I recently landed the 75% plat discount in my login rewards and I pounced on it ($12.50 for 1K plat AND a Nightmare shotgun mod?! HELL YES). My account is currently sitting at an excess of 1066 plat. I'm not really into buying weapons with plat since most of the weapons I actively want to use are very easy to farm/acquire. That leaves frames.

The contenders:

1) Loki (75P for what is arguably the KING of Warframe sounds like a good deal, plus I suck really hard at Spy 2.0) 

2) Vauban (I have two thirds of Vauban already, but I HAVE HAD TWO THIRDS OF VAUBAN FOR THREE MONTHS NOW GOD DAMNIT)

3) Ash (I absolutely LOVE how he plays/looks/his theme. Want to buy, but I'm told farming him is reasonable now)

So Loki is PROBABLY happening. So Vauban/Ash/neither? 

Also, I hate the gold bling on prime frames so unless it can be gotten rid of completely, please do not suggest Primes.

Cheers!

20 answers to this question

Well... Loki's not a bad option... he comes with a slot and a Reactor, which is valued at 40 platinum, meaning the pre-built Warframe is only really 35 plat. That being said though... he's super easy to farm.

I really have a hard time justifying buying any Warframes to myself. I wouldn't even consider it, and would just keep the plat for future things, like the Deluxe Skin packs that have been coming out.

I can totally relate on hating Prime Aesthetic though, I'm completely with you there.

Also, I hate the gold bling on prime frames so unless it can be gotten rid of completely, please do not suggest Primes.

I can't help but suggest the prime varient of Loki, you can change the "gold bling" to any color you want (still bound to be shiny) and I believe he's cheaper than the market-purchasable Loki.

Edit: Forgot a parenthesis.

Edited by Zachatoo

I'm going to co-opt this thread rather then make another one to ask the same question with slightly different parameters. 

I own Mag and Valkyr
Meele, ability spam and firepower are what I enjoy
I play with 1 or 2 volts and an Excalibur
Mesa, Ember, Trinity prime or Equinox are my next bets

My problem is mobs I get to are immediately murdered by Ex and the volts explode packs. Hysteria is fun but ultimately as I'm levelling I lack the means to maintain it forever. Meanwhile I've received conflicting reports about all of my backup ideas. People have said that Mesa only works when paired with a T-prime, that Ember's single ability damage type ruins her. I'm also told that Trinity prime can more or less maintain immortality however for the price tag Equinox looks like a more balanced alternative.

Does Mesa preform?
Is Ember's fire-type a problem?
How does Equinox feel to use?

Does Mesa preform?

Is Ember's fire-type a problem?

How does Equinox feel to use?

Mesa can get 90% DR on Shatter Shield with 130% PWR str. Meaning it's cheap to make her a tank.

Her 2 also temporarily disables enemies giving even more survivability close range.

Her 1 is a temp one shot dmg boost when charged up. Good for lvl 100+ enemies. Kinda pointless for anything lower. But if you want something gone right now it's a good bet.

Her 4 WAS an aimbot that made her basically play the game itself and currently just clears one direction for a bit and drains energy like mad. Her 4 is Mediocre. All in all Mesa is a durable option where you rely on your guns more than anything and requires pretty low amounts of mods to reach high lvl play potential. The grind is a hassle as you need to make keys from parts that drop from invasions and derelict endless missions so for a grind/power stand point Mesa is probably one of the better bought frames.

Ember can clear invasion missions by just putting on WoF and walking. She can and will dominate low lvl missions and anything on the star chart but when anything past lvl 60 starts popping up she kind of starts relying on her fires CC potential. Y'know the "I'M ON FIRE" dance. But her 2 can push some fire weapons to great lengths for example the Ignis benefits greatly from her 2. If you're looking to clear anything below 50 in about 10 minutes properly built Ember is yer girl. Ember is easily grinded from a boss however so do not buy her unless you're buying the prime version via trade.

The popular build for Equinox is using nothing but Day form and having her Maim ult up at all times and releasing when you feel like it.

I have not seen even one equinox use Night form for anything. Except in PVP once. max range, max PWR, activate Maim and you're in the Meta. A bit squishy but does get the job done. Personally not a fan. The grind for her is a bit of a hassle with 8 parts.

What I would recommend?

Mirage.

2 great self buffs that makes leveling weapons a breeze as they buff your weapon dmg.

One of the buffs gives great survivability.

Great speed.

Does not require efficiency mods.

At least 3 potential builds: Range build to lock a map down completely with blind, MAX PWR/Duration build to get the most out of your weapons (great for aoe weapons like Synoid Simulor/ Tonkor) and Duration/Range/PWR + Total Eclipse augment for buffing teammates.

If you're gonna buy something I always recommend Mirage even though she's behind a quest and pretty much attainable in about a week or so skipping the quest to get her is IMO worth it if you're hell bent on buying something.

Now if we're talking about skipping the most grinding it's either Mesa, Vauban(more luck than grind), Limbo and Nezha are probably the best bought frames. 

If you want something cheap, efficient, great at pretty much everything. Get Loki. He scales endlessly.

Edited by Ziegrif

OMG THREADJACK! XD

Seriously though. I find Loki Prime going for about 150 plat. No reactor OR slot. Still worth it? 

Loki Standard seems like a steal though. Also, between Vauban and Ash?

Loki Prime has higher energy cap and an additional polarity, otherwise he's the same as the standard Loki. I'd just buy standard. Less hassle. Does pretty much the same thing. Good at everything.  Can do any mission at any enemy level. But getting hit can be a death sentence so don't get hit. Unless you want the bling I'd go with standard for now. Grind prime later.

Ash is a worse Loki when it comes to invisibility but with max efficiency + max PWR str he can play the game on his own by just spamming his ULT. Kinda don't like him. Currently the most press 4 to win frame in the game IMO.

Vauban excels at locking maps and enemies in place. You need a defense mission done? Vauban is your man. Anything Infested? Vauban can handle it. Something's actually shooting you? Now we have a problem. He's squishy but rewarding when you learn just how much punishment you can take and where exactly do you need to trap enemies to keep them locked down. Squishy but rewarding. 

Edited by Ziegrif

Vauban is still amazing at CC, although a little outdated. 

Ash is basically an efficient killer, and not good for much else. But he's really good at killing. Especially in sorties when enemies have all kinds of resistances or armor, and Ash just laughs. With Ash though it's worth it to get Prime version, but he's kind of expensive to buy from people -- Prime gets a significant armor buff and a small shield buff too. 

But regular Ash is still really good, and he's a frame I would consider as worth buying, just because the current grind for him is absolutely ridiculous. 

Regular Loki is probably fine, really all your getting in the end like the above poster said is more energy. If you don't care about the prime aesthetics either, I wouldn't bother with Prime version unless you just happen to come across all the parts over time.

The only thing I would be reticent about is paying for regular Loki since he can be farmed so easily compared to say, Ash or Vauban. But, it depends on how much he runs on the market. You do get slot and reactor when bought on market, and you don't have to worry about build time either. So it's up to you. If the price after slot and reactor is taken into consideration is cheap and you really want to use him now, and play him a lot over the next few days (where he would normally be building) then go for it. 

Oh one more thing. Farming for regular Ash is completely unreasonable right now outside of raids. Finding a manic that will even drop a single Ash part outside of LOR is almost impossible/unheard of as of now. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

If I were you, I wouldn't spend plat on anything that can be acquired in reasonable amount of time. You'd be better with spending it on Primed Mods, maxed r10 mods, Prisma weapons, cosmetics, Arcane Helms, Arcanes in general etc.

Even Prime Frames are better off with farming them yourself, maybe buying incredibly tedious parts (like Nova Prime chassis for instance) from other players.

Edited by Epsik-kun

Someone else who chooses or discounts frames on aesthetics! LOL Gold coloring aside, the biggest reason to look at a Prime over it's standard counterpart are the types of missions you want to play. If you plan on running a lot of void missions, then the Prime is a better game choice simply by dent of the free energy from death orbs. Plus, there will be skins coming to change the look of the frames so keep that in mind too. Just look how good the Palantine skin made Rhino Prime look! LOL So bottom line is that if you can find Loki Prime for 150 and then throw on another 40 for the slot and reactor, then you are at 190 and I personally think that's worth it.

As for the other two, one is a pain to farm, the other you are at the mercy of the alerts. But that being said, there are times that Darvo offers Vauban for sale in his shop for a discount. So if you can wait on him a little longer, I would buy Ash (or Ash Prime) and try to buy Vauban when he is offered by Darvo again. But you do have to be quick, it's one of the only things he sells that I actually see sell out. 

I find Loki Prime going for about 150 plat. No reactor OR slot. Still worth it? 

lolwut

I've seen him go for as low as ~35p a while back, now he seems back to - barring insane sellers - maybe 70p at worst.

(Europe region of Trading Chat if that matters, what region are you in that demands around 150p still? 'Cause I want in on that scam, heh.)

No offense but you can probably get theyr prime versions for less in the trade chat, even with the 75% discount.... what only leaves vauban as possibility (get some kind of alert app and you'll get your missing part pretty soon as well)

I'd recommend investing in expensive cosmetic packs... they are set at frame prices and are actually worth the plat as you can't get them otherwise...

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

lolwut

I've seen him go for as low as ~35p a while back, now he seems back to - barring insane sellers - maybe 70p at worst.

(Europe region of Trading Chat if that matters, what region are you in that demands around 150p still? 'Cause I want in on that scam, heh.)

Most likely europe. Still sells for that ammount in germany for example. Finding a buyer is a different story tho. The trade chat is dead anywhere but in the US.

Most likely europe. Still sells for that ammount in germany for example. Finding a buyer is a different story tho. The trade chat is dead anywhere but in the US.

Might be the case for consoles but on PC, only the Asia region seemed seriously low on traders

and prices didn't seem to differ wildly the few times I switched Region just out of curiosity. *shrug*

Might be the case for consoles but on PC, only the Asia region seemed seriously low on traders

and prices didn't seem to differ wildly the few times I switched Region just out of curiosity. *shrug*

Possible, the difference kinda roots in the dead market tho. No offer+high demand=crazy prices.

Vauban wins that.   Plat IMHO is for frames that are hard to get --- and he only comes from rather rare alerts, they drop the pieces once or twice a year and if you miss the alert, you can't get him again forever.  Hes fun too.

Other hard to get frames are worth it too...  ivara is excellent, and a pain to get.

Maybe I'm too late but on PC Loki P goes for below 50p, you can get it for 40p. He's also much better looking then normal loki - I find this important - I'm more likely to use badass looking frame. Anyway 40p - Nothing beats that, nothing. Vauban is powerful but very specialized frame, you are not likely to use it too often. Just get it from alerts. Ash is also awesome, I would say more fun then loki but loki is more useful overall. Loki is simply must have frame, you can't be serious player and not have loki, nova, frost or trin - that is how I diverse newbies from more dedicated players.