Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pbr Old Primes

(XBOX)Papa Requiem

As long as they personally and manually update and check it all with their usual loving and caring way of treating this game, instead of doing that goddamn automated and robotic process they were talking about,  they can take all the time they want.

I'll just sit here and patiently wait for my Rhino's turn, calm and happy.

Nope, I'm going to have to disagree with you Grizzly. A few QoL changes for us vets would be really appreciated. Does anyone even know what goes into PBR? I really was hoping someone would say so already.

PBR entails entirely redoing the texturing. It uses a completely different set of textures, as it requires different information.

The problem is that a company like DE has a very fine balance of staff, so that the concept artists are producing just enough concepts for the modelers to be modeling all the time, the modelers are producing just enough models for the texture artists to be painting all the time, and so on. This means that since PBR conversions are purely textures, focusing on them would leave you with a backlog of untextured models. This is inefficient, so they update an item when they have a chance instead.

As long as they personally and manually update and check it all with their usual loving and caring way of treating this game, instead of doing that goddamn automated and robotic process they were talking about,  they can take all the time they want.

I'll just sit here and patiently wait for my Rhino's turn, calm and happy.

They already are using "that goddamn automated and robotic process". It doesn't do all of the work, or even most of it. All it does is give a better starting point then they would have if they were starting from scratch. It converts the old maps to rough approximations of the same settings in PBR, so that the artist can then work from there to improve them.

Edited by egregiousRac

Technically DE could release the pbr treated version for all of the remaining non-pbr stuff in a single fix, but as the process takes time for every single frame, the wait would be way too long.

Imho, periodical releases are way better than nothing for a long time, so DE is doing fine on taking pbr process on their own pace. If you prefer a rushed work over quality, that's your issue.

Just be patient tenno.

Graphics assets are pretty much the most costly and labour-intensive part of making games nowadays, especially as things get more and more photorealistic. 

In the early days of games, you could have a sprite made of a few pixels and your imagination filled in the rest. 

Nowadays everything has to actually be designed and put together, and that's hugely labour-intensive and takes time (and requires precision).