Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have a feature to disable host migration in liset?

izzatuw

They tend to be annoying and half the time it just makes you wait 5-10 seconds just to get a "host migration failed" message and you're back without a squad.

Could we have an option to just DC from the squad if we're in the liset?

And it's not the DDOS, it's been happening even before that.

I wouldn't mind this.

I'd also like for sorties to prevent anyone from starting the mission, if someone does not meet the requirements. It's pretty annoying to load halfway into the mission, only for the game to say "randomtenno123 does not meet the requirements" then disbands the squad.

Edited by EmptyDevil

with all these lag issues since the inaros quest was added, aka, the ddos attacks, i was forced to find a solution to host migration myself. I lowered my ping limit wayy down. which makes it appear like there are no squads to join, and just pops you into the "play now" mode of starting the mission, which i do. then i chill for a couple seconds and wait for a squad to appear, with me and my 32ms ping as host. obvi, this only is a solution on missions with constant squads, like sorties, alerts, tac alerts, and draco, hieracon, etc. but they tend to be the missions i have trouble squadding up on anyway

i appreciate the thought of being able to reconnect to your group if the Host leaves while everyone is in their Liset - but... in reality it's more frustrating than useful.

or... if it would Host Migrate without locking me out of doing other stuff in the game that would be ideal! let me continue inventory managing or w/e while i wait.
then i wouldn't mind.

1 hour ago, CaptainMorganFreeman said:

32ms ping 

32 Milliseconds to what? every single other Player on the planet? that's impossible.
so 32ms to what?

Yeah, its VERY annoying that a Host Mitigation happens when we are in the Orbiter. When we enter a mission it would make sense, its kinda expected at this point. But while in the Orbiter? We are not in anyone's game so it doesnt make sense to Host Mitigate.

25 minutes ago, Kao-Snake said:

Yeah, its VERY annoying that a Host Mitigation happens when we are in the Orbiter. When we enter a mission it would make sense, its kinda expected at this point. But while in the Orbiter? We are not in anyone's game so it doesnt make sense to Host Mitigate.

migrate*

<3

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

i appreciate the thought of being able to reconnect to your group if the Host leaves while everyone is in their Liset - but... in reality it's more frustrating than useful.

or... if it would Host Migrate without locking me out of doing other stuff in the game that would be ideal! let me continue inventory managing or w/e while i wait.
then i wouldn't mind.

32 Milliseconds to what? every single other Player on the planet? that's impossible.
so 32ms to what?

32ms ping to whatever host the game pairs him, aka none, so he always gets to host himself.

9 minutes ago, OG_DragonSkllzz said:

32ms ping to whatever host the game pairs him

that's not how Networking works :v
a ping of 32ms is a measure of delay from A to B. unless you know both A and B, the number is useless.

since it was said "(amount of time) ping" i already knew it was a number just randomly spouted, but i can hope for being able to provide enough information to make it useful to have noted.

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

that's not how Networking works :v
a ping of 32ms is a measure of delay from A to B. unless you know both A and B, the number is useless.

since it was said "(amount of time) ping" i already knew it was a number just randomly spouted, but i can hope for being able to provide enough information to make it useful to have noted.

He understands that, but in a peer 2 peer scenario, where the player is the host, he has virtually 0 ping to his localhost game, and the pings to other people will vary very much, could be anywhere from >0ms to >999ms. The game itself doesn't show you your ping, so his 32ms was pulled out of the butt too. 

That box at the bottom that pops up when you enable "show FPS" is not showing you ping milliseconds, but Frame Time in milliseconds, which at 60FPS is around 16.666ms (1000ms/sec / 60FPS = 16,666ms), in the case of 32ms, means the guy is playing at around 30FPS (1000ms/sec / 30FPS =  33,333ms).

Edited by F-Minus

4 hours ago, Kao-Snake said:

I think this is not quite correct. Due to the new (and itterly useless ) feature to see the ships of other players, the game must create an new instnace. So, we have host migrations even in the Orbiter.

As we see now, this gimmicky feature does more bad than good, I wish development time spent on this s*** was used to fix some bugs.

I don't like it too...

1] It's a nonsense to see people landing craft without orbiter at my window... When they're in their orbiter at the same time

2] Host migration in the liset, omg, what's next ? Host migration on the launcher ? x)

Btw you guys should learn how to answer a topic. We don't need to know how to spell "migrate" or what "ping" really is ... ?

20 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

I don't like it too...

1] It's a nonsense to see people landing craft without orbiter at my window... When they're in their orbiter at the same time

2] Host migration in the liset, omg, what's next ? Host migration on the launcher ? x)

Btw you guys should learn how to answer a topic. We don't need to know how to spell "migrate" or what "ping" really is ... ?

Well it keeps the thread alive so it doesn't really matter :P

Uhmmmm I think this isn't a question of why did the DE add this stupid feature. It is a question of what did the DE do to require this feature. It is obvious that they wouldn't add it unless they had to due to performance issues without it so. Their is no reason to really get peeved off unless you really want to because they will either remove it in the future or keep it forever for whatever reason they need it for.

2 hours ago, ShortCat said:

As we see now, this gimmicky feature does more bad than good, I wish development time spent on this s*** was used to fix some bugs.

That is up the the Debugging team. Not the Art and Animation team.

@taiiat What I assumed was meant was he set the host search range to search for anyone he has x ms delay to, using a number so low its practically impossible, thus forcing himself to be host.

On the actual topic: it's so annoying when you leave a mission and instantly get stuck in host migration, we never had this before... also landing crafts make no sense when we're supposedly all inside our orbiters as someone pointed out already.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2016 at 4:13 AM, F-Minus said:

He understands that, but in a peer 2 peer scenario, where the player is the host, he has virtually 0 ping to his localhost game, and the pings to other people will vary very much, could be anywhere from >0ms to >999ms. The game itself doesn't show you your ping, so his 32ms was pulled out of the butt too. 

That box at the bottom that pops up when you enable "show FPS" is not showing you ping milliseconds, but Frame Time in milliseconds, which at 60FPS is around 16.666ms (1000ms/sec / 60FPS = 16,666ms), in the case of 32ms, means the guy is playing at around 30FPS (1000ms/sec / 30FPS =  33,333ms).

the game very much shows your ping. it is a setting in the options menu. learn the game before just trash talking. it shows your memory usage, ping, and current fps

considering your math doesnt add up to what my frametime/ms ratio is, seeing as how my framerate drops, when my ping will stay the same, witnessed in game with framerates of sometimes under 10 fps, thanks to my pc overheating at times with my graphics settings. considering I'm the son of a computer programmer, and am a network administrator and security and networking assistant for a torrenting website, im preeetty sure i know how networking and ping works. now if the game decides that they want to make ping mean something else in this game, thats on them, not on me

2 hours ago, CaptainMorganFreeman said:

considering your math doesnt add up to what my frametime/ms ratio is, seeing as how my framerate drops, when my ping will stay the same, witnessed in game with framerates of sometimes under 10 fps, thanks to my pc overheating at times with my graphics settings. considering I'm the son of a computer programmer, and am a network administrator and security and networking assistant for a torrenting website, im preeetty sure i know how networking and ping works. now if the game decides that they want to make ping mean something else in this game, thats on them, not on me

The FPS Window has nothing to do with ping Capn, it's exclusive to video card performance. The closes thing we have to knowing the latency of a connection to the host is the message we get when attempting to connect over the ping limit set in the "Match Making Ping Limit" option in the options/gameplay menu. (That message popup was added in update 8.5 or sometime after.) Even then, there is no truly accurate ping/latency number associated with it. The way this game processes internet data would probably never allow you to get an accurate ping reading, but that's a whole different topic.   

Edited by DirtyBerd

53 minutes ago, DirtyBerd said:

The FPS Window has nothing to do with ping Capn, it's exclusive to video card performance. The closes thing we have to knowing the latency of a connection to the host is the message we get when attempting to connect over the ping limit set in the "Match Making Ping Limit" option in the options/gameplay menu. (That message popup was added in update 8.5 or sometime after.) Even then, there is no truly accurate ping/latency number associated with it. The way this game processes internet data would probably never allow you to get an accurate ping reading, but that's a whole different topic.   

thanks for the clarification. with that being said, seeing as how i have a fiber optic connection with over 100MB/s data speed, closer to 45MB/s real world, im sure my latency is pretty damn low. lol

9 hours ago, CaptainMorganFreeman said:

thanks for the clarification. with that being said, seeing as how i have a fiber optic connection with over 100MB/s data speed, closer to 45MB/s real world, im sure my latency is pretty damn low. lol

That's great that you have that type of bandwidth but latency is affected by a variety of different factors. Distance, routs, hops, network throughput are a few. Saying your latency is low would work if you were talking about connecting to a specific host or server. For example, you could bring up a commend prompt and  ping google.com and get time=48ms and say your latency is low. You could do the same thing for an ip address or domain name located on the other side of the planet in relation to where you are and get something like time=258ms and then your latency would be considered high in comparison. In regard to the OP, something changed after update 8.5 that created that issue. I'm sure they're working on a solution.