The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excal too squishy

DakotaStorm

Question

Here is how i would build him.

You'd need to put 3 Forma on him for this to work.

He'd also need a good sword with Life Strike on and added Finisher Damage.

http://goo.gl/NBXYfe

Excalibur Blind Rage Build i think this is called.

This build utilizes Radial Blind over Exalted Blade, low sheilds mean rage helps you build your energy back up and Life Strike will help you keep your health up.

Edited by TheFatDrake

to be honest, if you fully armor and ful hp and shield, no way u can get 1 off.

i think the problem is u a;ways use 2nd and 3rd skill and close in melee.

The prob with this built is u need duration for longer blind and it creates lower damage compared to exalted blade.

when T4 how long before u get 1 offed. it took me 40 mins to get 1 offed without extra armor

Excalibur may not be tanky, but he's built with a good amount of grit. What he lacks in supreme armor, he more than makes up with a full kit of abilities. All of his abilities are extremely useful and synergize beautifully, With EB being an excellent back bone to build around. Slash Dash will actually benefit from Body count, meaning you can extend EB's melee counter from engagement to engagement, and simply use it to close ground between targets, Radial blind is a lovely CC, opening up finishers, which ignore target armor, meaning you can focus down and easily pick off the worst offenders before it wears off. EB can benefit from Life strike, making it pretty easy to zap out a blade and completely recover, The only ability without direct synergy is Radial Javelin, and it's a powerful AoE, so it doesn't really need it. Excal's abilities easily lend him to taking down lvl 100 enemies and surviving with proper modding. And don't be afraid to experiment with your build; find what works best for you. But make sure you actually try, before saying something doesn't work ;)

If you've maxed health shield and armor, I don't see much else you'd need besides maybe Vigor, if you don't already have that. The Armor, however, I doubt is needed when you get more mods like Continuity, Intensify, Flow, and Vault mods for him. So basically, when you're running out of space in your Excal for armor, remove the armor mod. Doesn't really help at all.

Also, what level is your excal, and what is your MR?

I don't stand still unless I'mm leveling a ranged weapon, and that's usually in lower level missions, not a t4void. 

I'm the preverbial bull in the China shop, I prefer to run around with melee weapons and I'm constantly spamming 2 and 3. 

5 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

Life Strike works with Exalted Blade... but other than that Excals just not all that tanky. Try using Radial Blind+Life Strike finisher attacks for a break and recovery when things get hot.

I'll give it a try, thanks. 

T4 is a bit tasty due to the Bombards and the increased damage from the outset. Sounds like you have a grasp of movement and using your abilities. As stated by other posters, Life Strike is your friend. If you are going around melee stylee, maybe consider a build which involves Rage /Quick thinking/Flow? And parry with a weapon that has the best damage reduction.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)TheYetiMan22 said:

T4 is a bit tasty due to the Bombards and the increased damage from the outset. Sounds like you have a grasp of movement and using your abilities. As stated by other posters, Life Strike is your friend. If you are going around melee stylee, maybe consider a build which involves Rage /Quick thinking/Flow? And parry with a weapon that has the best damage reduction.

Hmm not sure I've got rage, but I do have flow fully maxed. 

Edit

I have parry but it's not maxed yet, my favorite weapon at the moment is orthos prime, that things shreds through everything at the lower levels. 

I can't even run moon missions right now, those sentients pack a hell of a punch :laugh:

Edited by DakotaStorm

20 minutes ago, DakotaStorm said:

Can anyone help with mod suggestions on how to improve my excal? I've currently maxed health, shield and armour mods as much as I can. And still getting one shot on t4 mission. 

Are there any primed modsI should lookout for? 

Abilities? , if you get one shot in t4 mission i'd rather work more on using your skills more then primed mods atm.

Spoiler

Excal too squishy 3C4AB5E8D01180664360017043456_pic-r-1424

Ah, Excalibur.  He's my my most used frame for a reason.  Prior to his god-tier rework to grant him Exalted Blade, I learned to rely upon one power.  Radial Blind works against enemies level 1 and enemies level 100.

Max out your efficiency and that blindness is your bread and butter.  Yes, exalted blade is awesome, but Blindness stops the map.  Armor on Excalibur?  Forget it.  It's useless.  I'd rather have max Redirection/Vigor.  Shields regen on their own.

If you're taking damage, pressing 2 is a great idea.  You will suddenly take less damage.

My main build is Stretch, and nearly max rank Overextended.  Combine with 170% efficiency to make the power cheap, and then admittedly, I bring a melee weapon with 4 forma and TONS of mods.  Sure, I only do like 15-30k damage with EB, but seriously, that's enough for darn near anything in the game.

Usually about 5 to 10 minutes, the main issue I'm having is like someone pointed out above, it's the bombards and the pesky ancients or whatever they are called. 

By the way excal is level 30 and potatoed, MR is only 6, mainly because I've been lazy when it comes to leveling. 

14 minutes ago, DakotaStorm said:

Hmm not sure I've got rage, but I do have flow fully maxed. 

Edit

I have parry but it's not maxed yet, my favorite weapon at the moment is orthos prime, that things shreds through everything at the lower levels. 

I can't even run moon missions right now, those sentients pack a hell of a punch :laugh:

Parry as in blocking, not the mod. If melee, you should be blocking half of the time. Read this about damage reduction from blocking, http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Blocking#Parrying

You should really be spamming radial blind and as the above poster stated, a bit of duration. 

T4, in addition to starting out a little higher in levels than T3, also makes enemies do 3x damage as a handicap, similar to NM alerts but you get to keep your shield (not that it ends up mattering much.)  T4 actually helped to popularize the "lock down the whole tile" powerspam methods that dominate the current meta, and the x3 enemy damage is why.  Thanks, DE!

1 minute ago, RealPandemonium said:

T4, in addition to starting out a little higher in levels than T3, also makes enemies do 3x damage as a handicap, similar to NM alerts but you get to keep your shield (not that it ends up mattering much.)  T4 actually helped to popularize the "lock down the whole tile" powerspam methods that dominate the current meta, and the x3 enemy damage is why.  Thanks, DE!

3x enemy dmg is not a problem. It really depends on the skill of the operator.

Just now, sniperbro-captian-PS said:

3x enemy dmg is not a problem. It really depends on the skill of the operator.

It is a problem because it effectively cuts your health pool by 3, which quickly makes it irrelevant.  Learning to dodge and roll is a good thing, but making it so that stopping for even a second proves lethal just promotes game-trivialization via powerspam.  Things are supposed to get like that after 40mins of an endless mission, but not from the get-go.  

This is what I use for endurance runs.  It's actually annnoyingly non squishy - keeping energy up with rage can be a bit of a pain for the first 20 minutes or so.  I should stress that that build is only for going deep into survival, or for when you feel really lazy and don't want to worry about dying at all.  Radiant Finish is in there to help with the bombards and gunners, and because for 9 drain there's not a whole lot that's better.  This build will work with a RJ build, although the exilus slot has to be left blank, resulting in 235% range and 224% strength.

4 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

It is a problem because it effectively cuts your health pool by 3, which quickly makes it irrelevant.  Learning to dodge and roll is a good thing, but making it so that stopping for even a second proves lethal just promotes game-trivialization via powerspam.  Things are supposed to get like that after 40mins of an endless mission, but not from the get-go.  

it's easily do-able. I don't even notice a change between t3 and t4.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Cwellann said:

This is what I use for endurance runs.  It's actually annnoyingly non squishy - keeping energy up with rage can be a bit of a pain for the first 20 minutes or so.  I should stress that that build is only for going deep into survival, or for when you feel really lazy and don't want to worry about dying at all.  Radiant Finish is in there to help with the bombards and gunners, and because for 9 drain there's not a whole lot that's better.  This build will work with a RJ build, although the exilus slot has to be left blank, resulting in 235% range and 224% strength.

Only problem is, don't you need to be MR 12 to get the augment mods?

Excalibur's survivability is plenty sufficient.

Enemies shooting you too much, dealing Damage? cast Radial Blind. shapow, now they're not shooting you for a long time.
oh, you have 12.5% Duration? well, you Modded wrong.

you say you're constantly using Blind - clearly you are not if Enemies are able to shoot you. or you have garbage Duration/Range, which means you're not very useful.