Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My problem with Tennogen.

Askell91

Well I have a little problem with it. I don't use Steam and i have no intention to...it's just anoying. (for this reason i can't even have a chance to buy them). I rather spend my money on plat, so are these ever gonna be available trough in game market? (for plat or not) We could buy the "first pack" trough market. What is the reason we can't buy the new ones the same way?

Edited by Askell91

It has been said that DE intend to make the Tennogen items more widely available (even including to consoles) but there are legal issues that need looked at. 

DISCLAIMER:  I have no idea what the legal issues are and the following is pure guess work. 

I would imagine that there is a cut going to Valve in exchange for them hosting the submissions process.  DE would need to figure out how to continue paying that cut and the creators cut (currently 30% of the money we pay for it, I believe into the creator's Steam Wallet).

1 minute ago, Deshiel said:

People said that about Uplay too...

NO ONE has ever said Uplay is a good service.

However there is no reason to not use Steam unless if you're some sort of degenerate idiot who's trying to keep them self hidden from the government.

6 minutes ago, Deshiel said:

People said that about Uplay too...

The difference is that UPlay isn't a good service. Steam did what it was supposed to from the start and has gotten better since.

OP: The problem is paying the creators. They basically need to find a way to hire every one of them as a contractor so that they can pay them, and that gets very messy when it is international. With Steam, Valve takes care of all of that. It makes sense to open it to the playerbase in some fashion, and then work out the issues preventing it from being available to everyone.

Edited by egregiousRac

25 minutes ago, Heatnix. said:

I also hate Steam. I want to buy AND CREATE too, but I can't.

And it makes me sad.

But you're on PC and you can easily just download the steam version and logon with your account, what the F***?

TennoGen items will not be avaliable for platinum, at least from my point of view.

Lest think about the steam system: User creates an item, the item get in the market for 100% value (value meaning anything). Once another user purchase the said item the income is divided somewhat like this, Game team gets 20%, Steam gets 15%, 5% dead taxes and the creator gets the 60% left. In this scenario everyone earns money and DE still gets money from Platinum purchases, so the steam an extra.

Now lets study the TennoGen gear via platinum system: it's simple, DE will pay for the creator and steam will get some of that. And this will reduce DE's income directly from the platinum sales. More into it, lets say you buy 100 dollars worth of Platinum and from that you buy a 5 dollars gear, DE will have to deliver this money directly to steam, taking only 95 of it.

But as we all know we have a trade system, have you thought of how much Platinum is stockpiled in all accounts? As soon as the TennoGen items become available for Platinum DE can go Bankrupt from all the purchases. And the money from the stockpile already have been used, not all of it but most of it. (minum spend by account being of U$$ 50,00 x 100000 accounts = trouble).

A. solution wold be shut down the Steam Workshop and start releasing the items from the game itself, yet this wold cause a severe reduction in DE's income and a posible hole in DE's wallet.

I say that DE should work with the creators and start releasing some of the gear in sorties.

TL : DR.: TennoGen for Platinum = Poor Rebecca.

1 hour ago, Askell91 said:

We could buy the "first pack" trough market. What is the reason we can't buy the new ones the same way?

It was a contest where creators of the items would get a share of platinum rather than real money, it's not viable for motivating people to spend their time working on new items. Steam Workshop wasn't involved because they had no intention of giving out real money. Now that they do they kind of don't have that much of a choice.

1 hour ago, Askell91 said:

Well I have a little problem with it. I don't use Steam and i have no intention to...it's just anoying.

Well yes, it's just your problem that you can easily solve by, you know, logging on to Steam just this once.

12 minutes ago, MrJxt said:

I don't understand, why do people hate steam?

^ Same here. There's literally no downside to having Steam unless you have a really, really bad connection or computer, in which case you wouldn't be able to game anyway.

1 hour ago, Katinka said:

I would imagine that there is a cut going to Valve in exchange for them hosting the submissions process.  DE would need to figure out how to continue paying that cut and the creators cut (currently 30% of the money we pay for it, I believe into the creator's Steam Wallet).

That's part of it- the rest of it is that if DE wants to get this stuff in game using something other than steam they have to figure out a way to not work this all through the market- which basically does all the "pay the creator" stuff for them, and is very complicated. They'd need to learn how to do that all on their own and figure out how to go about taking submissions etc etc. Source: stuff they've said on devstreams.

I'm personally concerned about the fact that if DE does indeed get to that point for FUTURE items- whether or not DE will be able to do it with the current items as well. Will they be able to take the items currently on the steam market system OFF of it so that we can get those the same way as the future ones using a new system, because if not that creates a few problems. Problem 1 is that people who want those cosmetics have to go through steam still, which is frankly no good for anyone but steam. Problem 2 is that people who MADE those cosmetics are stuck getting paid directly to their steam wallets meaning they can't spend it on anything but games (which isn't all bad) while the new people are probably paid directly to their real world bank accounts or something- where they can use their gains on anything they choose.

2 hours ago, LeFr33 said:

But you're on PC and you can easily just download the steam version and logon with your account, what the F***?

I dislike Steam a lot. I dislike how it works, the elitism behind it, the community (those comments... yikes) and overall just dislike Steam. Not because you like it means that everyone does.

1 minute ago, Heatnix. said:

I dislike Steam a lot. I dislike how it works, the elitism behind it, the community (those comments... yikes) and overall just dislike Steam. Not because you like it means that everyone does.

You know, you could easily just make an account, log on warframe, put money, pay for skins and unninstall steam and still have them in the non-steam version.

Edited by LeFr33

2 hours ago, Klavinmour said:

However there is no reason to not use Steam unless if you're some sort of degenerate idiot who's trying to keep them self hidden from the government.

Damn I've never seen a sentence sum me up so perfectly.

In my case, I don't really have any games on my PC besides Warframe, so I don't need any kind of 'library' or 'hub' for them. It's just extra clicks to launch, and a program running in the background constantly eating up (probably a small amount) of processing power.

That being said, to answer OP's question - the devs have said that the end goal is to make the Tennogen items available to non-Steam players and console players. At this point, I don't think they have a clear idea of how to accomplish this though, so it will probably be a while before it becomes a possibility.

It's worth noting that even if you dislike Steam, you can download it (and Warframe through it) to purchase items, then uninstall it (or just leave it to collect dust) and launch through your standalone launcher as always, and you'll keep the items. That's what I do.

47 minutes ago, LeFr33 said:

You know, you could easily just make an account, log on warframe, put money, pay for skins and unninstall steam and still have them in the non-steam version.

Hey! thanks for pitching a solution instead of being aggressive. It sounds like an idea. I'll have to look into it.