Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trying to decide on a tank frame.

Dreadnaux

Question

So I recently came back to the game loving Inaros he's a great durable CCer/healer and am trying to decide on a true tank frame.. the only one who is out so far is Chroma since reapplying two buffs over and over is kind of annoying and he is screwed if he gets drained.

So far Wukong and Valkyr look promising overall who are some of the more viable tank frames?

18 answers to this question

8 hours ago, KrazyKubrowLady said:

He's an all trick pony where as valkyr is only good for a single ability (he also has the most armor in the game that's not on a timer or on a health system)

As a player who loves valkyr, this hurts me right in the feels. When I play valk I rarely even use hysteria, I just focus on her 2 and 3 with a good melee weapon. It pains me to see so many people play valk without understanding how amazing her other abilities are. Sure, I COULD run around in hysteria, but how boring is that? I'd rather use warcry with eternal war and run around stunning people and finishing them, or slaughtering entire groups with the atterax.

And how is rhino a tank but inaros isn't? That makes zero sense. Rhino is a good low level tank but he melts under fire at high levels, whereas inaros is an immortal cannibal who came here from insect heaven to bless us with his sandy love. #inarosismycopilot

Chroma. My buffs last for 63 seconds, and I can facetank level 120 enemies no problem with my arcane set-up. 4x damage is great as well; going full melee with Life Strike, I melt anything under level 150.

If you just want cheese, Wukong and Valkyr can become invincible, but Chroma/Inaros/Rhino are the true tanks of Warframe (excluding skills like Shatter Shield and such).

For a true tank your going to wnat some cc, also with something that will help you stay alive, with a little something to help your team. Just being able not to die doesn't mean your tank cough cough (screaming *@##$ with claws) isn't a tank  she is a bruiser. 

That being said Rhino has, iron skin ,roar, and rhino stomp. right there is ability  to help you stay alive , a skill to help ur teams damage out put and a massive cc and slow right ther.

Another  one is Frost he his snow globe ,avalanche , his snowball. Again there is ability to help you and your team to stay alive, avalanche a massive cc and slow plus ur snow ball to also and another cc to heavies. 

Croma is a sad tank like you said you hit 2 buttons and call it a day so i dont play him at all for this reason. 

Oberon can also tank he has some abilitys that add armor to the team and heals them i think, plus his ult is a great cc ability.

Excal is tank DON't let those dbags say he isnt. You can build him tank all you need is a quick thinking,rage and duration mods. You can make him what we call a parry tank. while in his ult he deflects and takes 60% less damage and if you have rage on and u take health damage your get power to cast blinds so ur team is safe from getting lit up. 

OP can you be a little bit more specific in terms of what you are trying to tank out?

because different tanks work differently depending on the situation/missions

rhino is great for overall....but in the long run (level 100+) his iron skin melts (just an example of what i mean)

Inaros is tankier than valkyr. While yes valkyr becomes immortal/invincible, inaros does not have to rely on an ability to not die and you dont have oh sh** moments when you run out of energy/ability is canceled. you can rely more on finishers because of his health on finisher passive and it's easy opening the enemies up to it. He's an all trick pony where as valkyr is only good for a single ability (he also has the most armor in the game that's not on a timer or on a health system)

Edited by KrazyKubrowLady

Well there's mesa and her Shattershield basically a version of link that only works on bullets and a default 95% damage reduction and with shooting gallery giving you and your team a massive damage boost. And you can bounce rockets off your chest just like chroma. But Trinity is the best tank IMO with her 99.9999999999% damage reduction with blessing

the best tanks out there are rhino prime , valkyr , croma , wukong and nezha is what you have to choose from if you are looking for a support tankl rhino is your best choice valker is for getting up close and personal and taking risks croma is there to take life away to add to his i do recomend  if you use croma have a life strike on hand then wukong can become immortal with his abilties but you need to be carful with him then there is nezha who is the in and out tank with its ring of fire it absorbs damage and is a decent speed. 

So Inaros is not a tank, and Wukong and Valkyr look interesting... K then. For the record, a "tank" in Warframe is a bit of a loose concept since one of the core features of tanks in RPGs, the aggro mechanic, only exists on decidedly non-tank frames like Loki and Saryn. With that lacking, Warframe's tanks tend to branch out in various different directions with what they do offer to compensate for that missing aggro mechanics. Rhino has his Roar buff and CC from Rhino Stomp, Inaros has his multiple sources of CC and sustain, Valkyr and Wukong have their invincibility modes, and so on and so forth. Some are better for team play like Rhino and Inaros, and others are better for solo play like Valkyr and Wukong.

If you're really that concerned about getting energy drained, I'd still go back to Inaros again because he really does not care much about energy drain. His scarab armor does not go away, and his 1 is such cost-effective CC that you can get back in gear with just a single energy orb pickup.

I guess I'm more just thinking survivable against 100+ enemies. With so many changes done it's hard for me to say who works where. That said I think I just want something I can be unafraid to pick up allies vs high level enemies.

There is plenty of tanks in the game and playable characters you can turn  in out of meta tanks. Best bet is to grab a few and try them out. if you need any help message me in game and i can tell you some god builds that are fun to play instead of 2 clic wonder chroma.

Honestly, I think you've already got the best tank frame. Inaros has more raw survivability than any other frame I've played. Especially against high level enemies, where you can just click 1 once and do a few dagger finishers to completely refill your health.

Chroma is certainly #2. As far as getting drained, I've never had a problem with that. Just pack Rage, and long before they do enough damage to get you into trouble, you've got a full bar.

Edited by motorfirebox

2 hours ago, KrazyKubrowLady said:

Inaros is tankier than valkyr. While yes valkyr becomes immortal/invincible, inaros does not have to rely on an ability to not die and you dont have oh sh** moments when you run out of energy/ability is canceled. you can rely more on finishers because of his health on finisher passive and it's easy opening the enemies up to it. He's an all trick pony where as valkyr is only good for a single ability (he also has the most armor in the game that's not on a timer or on a health system)

Uh, at 600, Valkyr has the most armor by a mile, three times more than Inaros, and there is nine other 'frames (some prime, some not) that still have more armor than he does.

...and if you think Hysteria is the only skill Valkyr players ever use, I suggest trying Eternal War and Rage and good melee weapon w/Life Strike that's long enough to batter down a nulifier's bubble without ever entering it. Ancient Disruptor's can't end skills only drain energy, and I think Combas and Scrambuses (Scrambi?) can only keeps skills from being cast, not end an ability already in effect.) between the armor bonus, the melee speed bonus, and life strike/rage, you'll be taking down 100+ sortie enemies without ever using Hysteria.

3 hours ago, KrazyKubrowLady said:

valkyr is only good for a single ability

Says someone that probably just Draco'd her to 30 and sold her.

Important thing to consider with Valk OP, her Hysteria should only be used for reviving, emergency healing and dealing with high priority targets, for best results you're better off ignoring it and going for max strength and duration for War Cry, since it's armour buff helps a lot and doesn't limit you to pawing away with her kitten mittens, meaning you can deal great damage with <insert meta weapon here> along with the rest of your team, also the melee attack speed buff is great if you need it.

Chroma seems to be the favourite thanks to Vex Armour and Elemental Ward, but I don't have enough experience to give an opinion.

Wukong? if you don't like reapplying Chroma's buffs, you'll absolutely hate toggling Defy constantly, you'd be better off with a Blessing Trinity if you're going solo, she's lower maintenance than monkey boy, though Cloud Walk is amazing for simply ignoring hard-hitting telegraphed attacks.

Rhino? haven't used him since the rework, apparently his Tissue Paper Skin is now triple-ply instead of single-ply? again, not enough experience to give an opinion.

Frost? he doesn't tank, he uses Snowglobe to tank for him, if you're indecisive, go with him in the mean time, and make bad ice puns that will make your fellow Tenno want to punch you through their monitors.

The 2 best tanks in the game right now are imho Valkyr and Inaros.

• Valkyr is completely invincible as long as she has energy < can't get any more tanky than that.
  • And Inaros has so much effective HP that it's almost impossible to die when using a melee weapon with Life Strike

Both have pros and cons. Inaros can ignore energy leeches and nullifier. And Valkyr's ability as tank has virtually unlimited scaling. Chroma and Rhino can tank too. Yet Iron Skin will only get you so far and having to re-cast Vex Armor all the time gets annoying after a while since it involves more than just re-casting to get the buff up again.

46 minutes ago, (PS4)HomelessSquishy said:

Oberon is an awesome Frame, and I guess he could become a tank if you so desired.

-He has a crap ton of Health once fully maxed (mine's got over 800, and my Vitality isn't maxed yet) so he can take a beaten

-He has a quick CC ability if things get a bit insane

-and, he has a quick heal....that has no range limit, as far as i'm aware.

So, personally, i'd say you can't go wrong with building/buying straight up Oberon

Go do 1 or 2 hours of T4 Survival with your Oberon and come back and tell us how the "tanking" worked out for you.

Oberon is an awesome Frame, and I guess he could become a tank if you so desired.

-He has a crap ton of Health once fully maxed (mine's got over 800, and my Vitality isn't maxed yet) so he can take a beaten

-He has a quick CC ability if things get a bit insane

-and, he has a quick heal....that has no range limit, as far as i'm aware.

So, personally, i'd say you can't go wrong with building/buying straight up Oberon