The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fan Article on Kotaku (and DE Thanks)

Mordad

A great new article on Kotaku about Warframe's evolution and current state.

http://kotaku.com/its-2016-and-warframe-is-still-an-excellent-free-to-pla-1768070371

Also, I've seen DE appreciation threads here and there, but I'd like to bump that count up by one.

Thanks for pouring passion into your game DE!  Hope to be playing it and enjoying it for several years yet to come!

Edited by Mordad

Yeah, I cringed at that.  One for the potential reaction, two because it reminded me of The Incredibles.  Author of the article's got a point though.  I needed a Kubrow egg, and spent all yesterday studying - the 5 minutes necessary to log in, run Pacific, and log back out made for a perfect interruption to R/S nonsense.

It's a very positive outlook on DE's model, and props to Kotaku for revisiting what makes Warframe great.

Then again, it would have felt more genuine if it had acknowledged some of the shortcomings. Namely, Rngesus (turning water dilution into whine), some aspects of Trade chat, and Conclave at it's worst.

"Because bosses always drop good loot, it feels like you’re always progressing. There’s rarely ao shout of disappointment when members of my clan face a boss in Warframe. Even when the boss drops a part we already have, we can sell it for resources. There’s never a situation where you’re fuming because you’ve just spent an hour on a mission and the boss only dropped loot that was below your level. Warframe bosses always drop something useful. "

Next time when i try to get that one mod from Jakal or needed pieces from Tyl Regor, i will remember this.

Edited by letir

Ok so while warframe is an amazing game- and DE is the best company ever- and it makes me happy to see it get recognition...

I am not happy that the recognition it got was in the form of "it's so amazing that everything is overpowered".  That stuff should not be promoted and praised- imbalance is bad....

EDIT: Oh god it was Kotaku- that explains everything. Took me long enough to realize...

Edited by Stratego89

As a recently-awoken space ninja called a Tenno

We can clearly see, how far in the game the write of the article is.

Most online games require massive amounts of player time but lack sufficient content to actually demand that time. They rely on heavy amounts of repetition and luck. Players have to play a lot to get a little. Warframe instead allows you to pass through content quickly and always guarantees something interesting at the end of the journey.

I'm sure by this time plenty of people are familiar with this:

The Atlas frame plays differently than Mesa who is completely unlike Zephyr, who is nothing at all like Ash.

Who would have thought that cucumbers aren't like grapefruits and are different from toasters.

A player running a grenade launcher like the Tonkor is going to be playing very differently than a sniper using an Amprex.

Credibility at its finest.

Bosses will always drop an important component or blueprint.

Except when they don't.

The majority of frames only need three parts: the systems, chassis, and helmet. To get those parts, players need blueprints. Face a boss down five or six times, and you’ll probably get all of them.

Someone must have been making sacrifices lately.

There’s no such thing as getting a gun that’s below your level, because all guns—and all frames—are created equal.

Except when you're running Limbo, Mutalist Quanta, Lato etc.

Warframe never wastes your time with extremely long missions with bad drops. There is no room for disappointment.

Unless you play endless missions...

In conclusion. objectivity is pretty important, when it comes to reviewing anything, Insufficient knowledge doesn't justify making things up. Let's face it, Warframe has its flaws, but writing entirely positive article with examining the downsides in a paragraph the size of a tweet? I'm not saying that Warframe is a bad game, but, it's important to list both - pros and cons equally.

Edited by Zyrgi

38 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

Ok so while warframe is an amazing game- and DE is the best company ever- and it makes me happy to see it get recognition...

I am not happy that the recognition it got was in the form of "it's so amazing that everything is overpowered".  That stuff should not be promoted and praised- imbalance is bad....

EDIT: Oh god it was Kotaku- that explains everything. Took me long enough to realize...

We can be OP as long as the core problems are not eased. 

If they manage to solve:

*the bullet sponge thingie at endgame - endless scaling is not a good thing in my opinion, there should be a cap on enemies Shield/health/armor. I would rather fight against faster/stronger(OHKO it's ok, i mean, endgame is suppose to be hard after all) enemies with more tactics/abilities, like... idk, throwing 2 grenades instead of one, melee fighters making combos... stuff like that, anything is better than bulletsponge-enemies. 

*Easing the pain of RNG... there's A LOT of unused potential on nodes/missions around warframe. Instead of vaulting stuff I would rather have them on "T5" void missions -heck, there's so many mission types unused, interception T1,T2,T3; Deception, Hijack, Excavation, Rescue, Spy, Crossfire, ASSASSINATION - why is this not a thing? each tier with a different boss? THAT WOULD BE AMAZING.

*Balance all warframes to be top-tier without been press 4 to win - This is on progress, so yay for us. 

I got a little excited. 

Edited by Lokime

1 minute ago, StealthDragoon said:

I'm surprised the article didn't talk about how sexist and objectifying the girlframes are and how the writer got triggered during the Second Dream or something...

This made me smile. 

My first experience of Kotaku was them campaigning to have 'Tentacle Bento' removed from Kickstarter (a tongue in cheek card game about tentacled aliens capturing college girls, full of innuendo but never graphic or detailing what happens after capture). 

My second experience of Kotaku was reading their review of 'Tentacle Grape' soda which is apparently simultaneously the best drink ever and the funniest joke in the world (a grape flavoure soda with a label depicting a girl fleeing from tentacles).

The hypocrisy sickened me.