Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fairy Frame Discussion [Megathread]

hs0003

I'd love to see a sort of subversion of the "flowery, happy, fairy-esque" trope by naming her something along the lines of Alcea, Amaryllis, Belladonna, Cissus, some derivative of ficus or folia(as in foliage).

All the aforementioned are the proper names of highly toxic plants, and I adore the idea of having a non conspicuous "fairy frame" having a lethal name to match its actual capabilities. 

On May 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM, KonoAnchoDa said:

I'd love to see a sort of subversion of the "flowery, happy, fairy-esque" trope by naming her something along the lines of Alcea, Amaryllis, Belladonna, Cissus, some derivative of ficus or folia(as in foliage).

All the aforementioned are the proper names of highly toxic plants, and I adore the idea of having a non conspicuous "fairy frame" having a lethal name to match its actual capabilities. 

I'm sorry, but Saryn kind of has the whole deadly plant thing going for her and, in fact, has a helm named Hemlock.

On 5/1/2016 at 4:01 AM, KonoAnchoDa said:

you know titania and other faires were not the nicest things in mythology and im using nice in the loosest sense of the word 

4 hours ago, (XB1)DRG JupiterIvan said:

I'm sorry, but Saryn kind of has the whole deadly plant thing going for her and, in fact, has a helm named Hemlock.

I see Saryn as more poisons in general. Rather than just toxic plants. Didn't know about that helmet though. Thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, hazerddex said:

you know titania and other faires were not the nicest things in mythology and im using nice in the loosest sense of the word 

"Subversion of", as in making fun of or purposefully reversing a normal theme. All of the plants I named were poisonous for a reason.

9 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

it cant fly because players keep saying that giving zephyr flight is bad iv suggested that multiple times but it allways got shoot down 

Probably because simply flying any time would remove the need to keep track of the many ground obstacles and floor-based challenges there are in Warframe. Also because to fly birds need to flap their wings, which Zephyr can't do with weapons (if at all). Besides, with her passive and first ability she can pretty much fly. 

50 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

it cant fly because players keep saying that giving zephyr flight is bad iv suggested that multiple times but it allways got shoot down 

I believe DE has made mention of the problems zeph would face if given flight. Which is why this is being given to the fairy frame. The main problem is scale. Most areas in Warframe are comprised of small rooms and corridors. Very rarely do you find a large enough room to compensate flight. And if you do you parkour. For a fairy it's as simple as shrinking down to the size of a pixie. Also don't get all high and mighty. Your faaaar from being the only one that wants zeph to fly. I want her to fly as well, but I understand the issues they would face trying to incorporate it, short of making her a hummingbird.

6 hours ago, Akavakaku said:

Probably because simply flying any time would remove the need to keep track of the many ground obstacles and floor-based challenges there are in Warframe. Also because to fly birds need to flap their wings, which Zephyr can't do with weapons (if at all). Besides, with her passive and first ability she can pretty much fly. 

I think it would be better for Zephyr to float in her standing position like that grineer with the jetpack or she gets an animation rework and she flies or floats at a certain height and doesnt touch mines? 

On 4/24/2016 at 2:28 PM, MysteriousBorn said:

How about Trixie !!! That's sound really nice !!!

you do know that's a name from my little pony.... I think people would actually leave the game if they saw a frame named from a kids show.

On 4/25/2016 at 6:45 AM, ThornScythe said:

You do Know there is already a frame named Zephyr Right? and it does not fly but pretty near it, it needs a rework badly after the crappy movement 2.0, yet it already exists and pretty much does what you say

Why do you say that movement 2.0 is crappy? it's amazing. It's faster and more fluid. I think you're still angry at the fact that you can't copter anymore

On 4/23/2016 at 0:58 AM, SortaRandom said:

It'd better be Titania.

Oberon was named absolutely perfectly. Titania would be a perfect thematic match.

I just hope they don't go "Nah, Titania's too obvious" and go with some weird, super-obscure name that gives no information of the frame's theme to the average player. (*cough* IVARA *cough*)

Seriously, though, I just googled "Ivara" and everything is just Warframe. I then googled "Ivara mythology" and "Ivara name" and the first results were still Warframe. That's a clear sign that the selected name is too obscure.

That you can't find it with a quick Google search isn't a negative, imo. Obscurity isn't the measure of a poor name, but sure, we could have chosen something more obvious so players would make a faster connection between her name and her role, abilities and mechanics. (Not being facetious. Names that make role, mechanics, clear aren't a bad idea in a video game.)

Ivara simply won the tough naming battle.

But somehow, I think players were just fine with Ivara in the end. :)

On 4/23/2016 at 10:24 AM, SortaRandom said:

I feel as though the fact that the primary info source here is a baby naming website only furthers my point.

I actually think it's kind of cool all that comes up when you search is WF. Gives her a uniqueness that many other 'frames don't have.

On 4/23/2016 at 5:59 PM, LordOfScrugging said:

Whoever is incharge of editing the wiki should put that. Really dropping the ball on us Wiki peeps

Was this the update?

"Ivara is a name derived from the Old Norse word Ívarr, which means "the bow of the warrior". A well-known owner of this name is Ivar the Boneless, who was heralded as a deadly archer."

No wonder someone on reddit said Ivara was "loosely based on Ivar the Boneless". (Which, in fact, she is not.)

On 4/26/2016 at 1:54 PM, PrototypeXD said:

I've never seen this mod. when was this a thing?

I believe all Drift mods drop on the "new" moon missions. All moon missions are on the Earth nodes.

Edited by Rhekemi