Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fairy Frame Discussion [Megathread]

hs0003

Fae can be UTTERLY TERRIFYING when they aren't Tinkerbell.

Changelings - Kidnapping babies and leaving their own twisted spawn

Fairy rings - innocuous circles that can curse you with impending death

The Wild Hunt - OH DEAR LORD

Heck, take a page out of Tales of the Questor and say they're multidimensional eldritch horrors whose only reason for not wiping out existence is because they'd be bored without mortals to torment.

I know that you just have this image of Tinkerbell in your head when you hear the word "fairy," but fairies (sometimes called faeries) in folklore are oftentimes downright evil. They tended to kidnap people and enslave them, enchant women and force them to marry them, seduce men and use it to enslave them, steal children, kill children for petty offences, and so on and so forth. 

Popular culture has really watered down the idea of the fairy, but in folklore, it seems to me that the daintiness is only a thin veil used to cover their malicious intent. I think the fairy frame will fit just fine.

2 minutes ago, Vox_Preliator said:

Heck, take a page out of Tales of the Questor and say they're multidimensional eldritch horrors whose only reason for not wiping out existence is because they'd be bored without mortals to torment.

I actually lol'd at this. If that's not evil, I don't know what is.

Edited by Gurpgork

1 hour ago, Gurpgork said:

I know that you just have this image of Tinkerbell in your head when you hear the word "fairy,"

This^

Your right - and that image is something to consider when you are considering a new asset. I have heard of faerie, fae-folk, Will'o the wisp, etc. But the fairy that sticks out is Tinkerbell and Navi (LITHEN!!!). I don't think most people have a terrifying image of a fairy, until someone explains the history of folk tales - which is not common. The mainstream image of a fairy, and the word "fairy" itself, is Tinkerbell. When I speak of naming conventions - that's another reason War machines don't carry the nick-name "fairy". what are they going to do, send out the bomber "Fairy Godmother", and explain to the enemy why they should be afraid???

"There's a plane approaching..."

"Well, can you tell what type?"

"Umm, on the side its says... 'Fairy Godmother'..."

"Fairy??? What is it going to do, drop-ship us milk and cookies...?"

"Well actually, fairies are not always happy little pixies, flitting around helples...'

"SHUT UP!!! I didn't ask for a history lesson! JEEZ! Just blow the stupid pink sparkly thing out of the sky... And leave a tooth under your pillow..."

"Um, that's the Tooth Fairy, sir..."

"What part of shut up didn't you understand?"

Edited by magusat999

2 hours ago, magusat999 said:

I was trying to hold this and wait - but I can't. I know it isn't out and we don't know that much about it yet - so I can't and won't comment on what it can and cannot do, or it's abilities or even if it has worth or not. But my issue is the idea of a Fairy in this game in the first place. A Fairy... bothers me.

It bothers me because to me it doesn't fit in with Warframe conventions. If it were a lion, an elephant, a Genie, a Vampire... maybe - but a flitty little flitting Fairy flitting around? I have read a MASSIVE amount of great ideas for frames coming from the community here - I cannot see how a Fairy rose to the top of all those great, and applicable ideas...

Oberon is a reference to the King of fairies. Don't believe me look up a Mid Summer Night's Dream by Shakespeare because that is where it came from (assuming there wasn't another myth it was based off of as well).

On top of that we have the Chinese Warframes, whose names are references to Chinese heroes (or deities). On top of that we have Inaros, who is a Pharaoh warframe.

As for Vampires and Stuff we already have two. Both Trinity and Inaros can leech health from enemies. On top of that Nekros is a necromancer.

In other words DE can do whatever they want because it is THEIR world.

As for the Fairy Frame (I hope it is called Titania after Oberon's wife) I think it looks cool and I look forward to using it.

As much as I am not too fond of the new fairy frame, I do have to admit she does not break lore and a warframe threat shouldn't be taken lightly even if it sounds as silly as a clown frame that shoots discoballs. Warframes are war robots telekinetically controlled by kids that can wipe out entire ships of trained marines and have almost magical powers. Even one Warframe in an area is almost a death sentence to everything they consider not their allies. Also fairies in mythology like some others have mentioned above can be utterly terrifying, and were often described that way for a while until Disney came along. As for it being themed off from a fairy, the operator who originally piloted Fairy Frame apparently liked fairies and decided to make a frame based off from it and tailor it to her own style of combat.

Look up old faerie myths. They liked to kill people or ruin their lives, quite often in fact. Tinker Bell is an insult to the original faeries and sprites of the world's mythologies. Put simply, they were cruel and hateful. 

Mythology is a common sight in Warframe, not modern war machines. Nekros, for example, is a necromancer. Same with Inaros - he's literally a space mummy. Best of all, we've got Excalibur, who's entirely based around King Arthur, the epitome of fantasy themes. Nezha and Wukong are both directly from Chinese myths. 

If we're gonna talk about things seeming scary, magnets don't exactly instill fear into the hearts of men, but Mag is a legit frame. Oberon looks like a deer with a bucket for a head, and is named after the fairy king in a Shakespeare play. Whether or not something is scary or realistically themed has no bearing on Warframe because it has no specific theme for itself. It's just the culmination of DE's minds and desires. 

UPVOTED

too many of the latest frames have been super obvious, very cliche designs.

I really wonder if the original designers are not with DE anymore, or if creative direction has been taken over by pirateninjas

Edited by hukurokuju5

So two things. 

Firstly, I really REALLY like  the fairy frame's concept. Now I just pray they don't end up pulling another Soprana.

Secondly, I could be wrong but I'm PRETTY sure fairies in myth were things that would come and devour you down to the bone starting at your eyes or something... leaving only the teeth....... Not everything in warframe is terrifying and vicious looking. Or have we maybe forgotten Equinox and Limbo?

To be honest, i'm up for everything! And the fairy theme looks kinda interesting. Also @magusat999 - You were here since 2013. You should know how warframes are done. Look at nezha. Including his poses, he looks like a complete something but regardless of that, he still bloody pierces enemies around him with divine spears like an IceColdKiller!

54 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

Not everything in warframe is terrifying and vicious looking. Or have we maybe forgotten Equinox and Limbo?

I lol'd.

Edited by IceColdHawk

also your complainning about it like this is the first fairy frame we have had when Oberon has been here for ages also complaining about having fairies when theres a dragon running around not to mention i think king author would like to know where his sword ran off to...

24 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

also your complainning about it like this is the first fairy frame we have had when Oberon has been here for ages also complaining about having fairies when theres a dragon running around not to mention i think king author would like to know where his sword ran off to...

Lmfao it's so funny because  it's true also I think Egyptian are missing a mummy 

28 minutes ago, (PS4)Crimson_Judgment said:

Not Sure about Ideas

I Just take issue with the fact that she Gets free flight and Zephyr gets propelled Upward/Forward and gets to Float around

How is that Fair?

lets not make this another tread on "why can a new frame but not zephyr"
zephyr isn't a humming bird, so the only way for her to stay in the air is to keep speed, that would be impossible to control. a fairy would be able to hover in the air. and i am not going to talk about it more. if you want to complain go here 

3 hours ago, hukurokuju5 said:

UPVOTED

too many of the latest frames have been super obvious, very cliche designs.

I really wonder if the original designers are not with DE anymore, or if creative direction has been taken over by pirateninjas

DE Steve - AKA Creative Director

He has Been there since the Beginning and He doesn't seem to be under the influence of Pirate Ninjas

though He may be a little Crazy Based on that look in his eyes

r8ydxrbjy1xkdgtqo6um_zpscd30fa68.jpeg

1 hour ago, vinx909 said:

lets not make this another tread on "why can a new frame but not zephyr"
zephyr isn't a humming bird, so the only way for her to stay in the air is to keep speed, that would be impossible to control. a fairy would be able to hover in the air. and i am not going to talk about it more. if you want to complain go here 

Eh Fair enough i guess i Just want to see Zephyr Get some TLC. Moving on

Contemplating the Implications of (Pseudo?) Archwing mode such as will you have Your Archwing Weapons or Will she Have her own built in Weaponry

and Exactly how much it will tank enemy accuracy assuming they can hit her at all

because eventually enemy accuracy will scale to the point where it doesn't matter

Also wondering if the Archwing mode would Change here powers functionality or (More likely) have all her powers be castable and Functional from an Archwing prospective

35 minutes ago, (PS4)Crimson_Judgment said:

Eh Fair enough i guess i Just want to see Zephyr Get some TLC. Moving on

Contemplating the Implications of (Pseudo?) Archwing mode such as will you have Your Archwing Weapons or Will she Have her own built in Weaponry

and Exactly how much it will tank enemy accuracy assuming they can hit her at all

because eventually enemy accuracy will scale to the point where it doesn't matter

Also wondering if the Archwing mode would Change here powers functionality or (More likely) have all her powers be castable and Functional from an Archwing prospective

i guess she will ether have the normal weapons she already had (most likely) or some build in weapons (maybe the razer butterflies &#! throwing knifes.

i guess they will get a pretty large aim penalty and you will be smaller so harder to hit. i don't thing you will take (a lot) more damage, but maybe increased stagger.

i do hope that all powers are cast able in the air and when flying/arcwinging. it would just have very little sense if they didn't.

I hope that the arcwing is a swith like equinoxs switching forms, but it will probably be toggle. 

19 hours ago, (PS4)T_h_e_m7 said:

Well, I, for one, am sad that resident Fairy King Oberon will have to step down. He just got a new skin! Look at that skirt.

What do you mean step down? This surely means that Oberon will have a fairy maiden at his side to cause havoc and destruction upon others. The King will not have his throne taken so easily.

I think this will be an amazing double team to be honest.

10 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

To be honest, i'm up for everything! And the fairy theme looks kinda interesting. Also @magusat999 - You were here since 2013. You should know how warframes are done. Look at nezha. Including his poses, he looks like a complete something but regardless of that, he still bloody pierces enemies around him with divine spears like an IceColdKiller!

I lol'd.

Yeah - but at least Nezha is based on something tough, not a irritating dependent creature with just enough magic to get itself in trouble all the time. There is nothing tough about a fairy - Nezha might look effeminate, but that's just a cultural thing. I've seen plenty of martial arts movies with effeminate looking males (by Western Standards) that could kick butt. Fairies... zero. And I mean FAIRIES, not an off-shoot or some TYPE of fairy. This is being called the "Fairy Frame" and it isn't based on any of those other things people keep bringing up (I wish it were... almost anything but a freaking barbie doll-house fairy).

10 hours ago, hazerddex said:

Dragons are fearsome. Fairies are one step above bugs. They are like bugs with magic. And Oberon is not a fairy. He is a paladin. Even IF Oberon was not a Paladin, he is not a fairy, he is something else. I am not complaining about the whole class of magical beings, It's specifically this little wimpy, dependent being that was chosen over all of the actually fearsome legends they could have picked as a basis.

11 hours ago, hazerddex said:

hay oberons standing right over there.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon

also know what else is a fairy

3fd931a214e696d6fb0b1aaf45b8838d.jpg

dullahan is a irrish fairy does it look like a butterfly to you please do more research on what fairies are before you bash on the concept 

spriggan__by_xrobingoodfellowx-d9hbygf.j

spriggans a type of fairy

I'm not complaining about a "TYPE", I'm specifically talking about Fairies. Tinkerbell is not a Spriggen, for example. The frame is not a Dullahan or a Spriggan - it's a Fairy. it even turns into a little Tinkerbell flitting around, flapping it's way to victory. Oberon is not a fairy, either. He is supposed to be a Paladin - he just looks like a Druid because of bad design.

And if you have to tell someone why something is "scary" - that is not scary. "Ohhh - fairies are scary... when they aren't called fairies and you consider folk tales from other cultures and stories about other creatures that we will include in the fairy class but are never actually called fairies... So you SHOULD think of them as fearsome and scary..."

"So, I guess I shouldn't have sprayed the little bugger with this can of Raid, then???"

"Wake up, little Warframe Fairy, wake up... It isn't waking up... Maybe I shouldn't have stepped on it after it hit the ground... all those pink spark- wait... is that blood?"

12 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

Rebecca addresses your concerns in this video.

Yeah I watched the video and no it does not make sense. Its a lame excuse, she tried but no, that isn't good enough. They really don't need to change anything about it - except STOP CALLING IT A FAIRY FRAME. Call it one of these types that are actually of "dark origins". Killer Fairy is just, stupdiculous. Fairy just doesn't cut it in the Warframe world - even Rebecca (who is not a character designer by trade, mind you) admits this before she tries to convince us that it's okay somehow...So no, the video doesn't help either.

1 minute ago, magusat999 said:

Yeah I watched the video and no it does not make sense. Its a lame excuse, she tried but no, that isn't good enough. They really don't need to change anything about it - except STOP CALLING IT A FAIRY FRAME. Call it one of these types that are actually of "dark origins". Killer Fairy is just, stupdiculous. Fairy just doesn't cut it in the Warframe world - even Rebecca (who is not a character designer by trade, mind you) admits this before she tries to convince us that it's okay somehow...So no, the video doesn't help either.

Well, the designation 'fairy frame' is simply a working title only used while the Warframe is in development. It's similar to when people were upset that Atlas was called a 'brawler frame' when only one of his moves is related to punching, Oberon being called a 'paladin', etc. Once the Warframe is released, they'll just be called Atlas, Oberon, or whatever, and you'll never hear 'fairy frame' again.

15 hours ago, Vox_Preliator said:

Fae can be UTTERLY TERRIFYING when they aren't Tinkerbell.

Changelings - Kidnapping babies and leaving their own twisted spawn

Fairy rings - innocuous circles that can curse you with impending death

The Wild Hunt - OH DEAR LORD

Your right - too bad they didn't use any of those great concepts and went with the weakest of the bunch. none of those are "Fairies" as in the idea behind the Fairy frame. None of those include Tinkerbell or Navi - both of which are FAIRIES, not FAE, not CHANGELINGS or any other more valid creature.