Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the Karyst good?

(XBOX)SgtFunBun

Question

13 answers to this question

Having a dagger with Covert Lethality is always good for high level Stealth runs, specially in Sortie Spy missions. Karyst however, is not a dagger I would recommend for that.
For you see, since Covert Lethality gives a flat damage bonus, the base damage doesn't matter that much, and Karyst has the highest base damage of daggers, but is slower than some other daggers. Since attack speed affects finisher speed, I'd recommend a dagger with faster attack speed than the Karyst.

You have 3 options in that regard. Heat Dagger, Dark Dagger, and Ceramic Dagger. Heat Dagger and Dark Dagger both have the same attack speed and damage, but Dark Dagger has an augment mod with a Viral explosion, useful outside Stealth. But in my opinion, the best Dagger for Covert Lethality will be Ceramic Dagger, simply because it's the fastest dagger there is.

I just built one for my Inaros, threw a potato into it and I don't have any complaints. It gets the job done with the stealth finishers and the extra toxic proc with raw damage seems to cut through Ceres level enemy with ease. It's a good knife for Inaros until something else comes along that's better. 

it's not bad, though Daggers as a whole are pretty lacklustre. with Covert Lethality the Karyst is ideal for stealth, and the innate Toxin damage is fairly useful in combat, particularly against Corpus as it will bypass their Shields. if you need it to work better on Grineer, you can add Shocking Touch and Voltaic Strike for Corrosive to reduce their armour.

it's a pretty good Dagger, but daggers could use a buff IMO. makes no sense why they are so slow.

1 hour ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Having a dagger with Covert Lethality is always good for high level Stealth runs, specially in Sortie Spy missions. Karyst however, is not a dagger I would recommend for that.
For you see, since Covert Lethality gives a flat damage bonus, the base damage doesn't matter that much, and Karyst has the highest base damage of daggers, but is slower than some other daggers. Since attack speed affects finisher speed, I'd recommend a dagger with faster attack speed than the Karyst.

You have 3 options in that regard. Heat Dagger, Dark Dagger, and Ceramic Dagger. Heat Dagger and Dark Dagger both have the same attack speed and damage, but Dark Dagger has an augment mod with a Viral explosion, useful outside Stealth. But in my opinion, the best Dagger for Covert Lethality will be Ceramic Dagger, simply because it's the fastest dagger there is.

This is wrong. Base attack speed doesn't do anything to finisher anims. Attack speed mods are what change the anim speeds.

54 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

it's not bad, though Daggers as a whole are pretty lacklustre. with Covert Lethality the Karyst is ideal for stealth, and the innate Toxin damage is fairly useful in combat, particularly against Corpus as it will bypass their Shields. if you need it to work better on Grineer, you can add Shocking Touch and Voltaic Strike for Corrosive to reduce their armour.

it's a pretty good Dagger, but daggers could use a buff IMO. makes no sense why they are so slow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4g3fod/ever_wondered_how_much_dps_melee_weapons_actually/? I don't how accurate this is but according to it, Karyst is in the top 5-6 melee weaps damage wise.

5 hours ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

...is the finisher animation rly influenced that much by the base speed tho?

The karist still profits the most from the additional base-damage boost...

A decent weapon with the ability to oneshot evrything is still better then absolute crap with the ability to oneshot evrything as you just won't be doing finishers all the time!

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

I have the Karyst, but I'm not replacing my Nikana Prime or War with it.  It's not like I don't have other ways to get one hit kills while in stealth.  Prowl + Headshot as an example.  Also, I haven't run across a melee weapon yet that has a faster stealth finisher than Nikana+Blind Justice.