Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boltor prime or soma prime or something else?

Chaitanyamd

Question

Hi guys, i want opinion on which weapon is the best. I personally have the boltor prime. i have heard a lot about soma prime that it is better. I have a play style like rushing into a room and killing tons of enemies. Moreover please tell me if there is some other weapon which suits my playstyle. I have the tonkor too and i love it. please give me your suggestions.

THANK YOU

20 answers to this question

both are really good weapons for different situations. boltor for grenieer and anything with armor because of its puncture damage and soma is good against infested and flesh type health. where the soma really shines though is its crits. with all the crit mods on soma (vital sense, point strike, bladed rounds, argon scope) you are going to be contsantly getting regular crits for 6.6x dmg and have a chance for red crits for 10.2x damage, not counting headshot multipliers

It's a matter of playstyle. Boltor and Soma are both really good. Personally I think Boltor is a bit better ( It can go a bit later game and more badass by impaling all the enemys to walls ).

Soma is really good cause of the crit but falls off lategame, but both cant go really really up endgame. Tonkor is really good for anything. ( And I would advise you hurry to MR 12 and get the Syndicate primary weapons ).

But again no weapon is "better". Its how you use it.( I hate and suck with snipers for example and a friend of mine loves them ).

Most people shy away from the Boltor Prime, seeing it as a "noob cannon". It's always been one of the top weapons in the game. In regards to the best weapon, it really depends on one's playstyle. Top contenders would probably be:
Boltor Prime- Spray and Pray
Soma Prime- Slightly more focused spray and pray
Sancti Tigris- DPS shotgun
Dread- Single-Shot Bow
Rakta Cernos- DPS Bow
Tonkor- RIP Everything

Also Synoid Simulor- RIP Everything

Edited by PotatoTrapdoor

If you have Argon Scope, Soma Prime is pretty insane.

The primary difference is that it is a hitscan weapon, rather than the projectile bolts of the bolt weapons, so there is a lot more accuracy and less leading of moving targets. If you're already comfortable using Boltor Prime, then there isn't much to look forward to with a Soma.

The boltor prime is powerful around the star chart, but the second anything starts to have armor, despite puncture being good agesnt armor, it falls off pretty hard due to bad crit and status.

The Branton prime however, while its not as strong as the boltor prime, scales better due to its high status chance, and the fact its slash based. Slash damage procs bleed, which stacks, and ignores armor, hitting health directly. If you add another element to this such as fire, you can melt health bars.

Burston Prime is another excellent weapon that's better than the boltor prime that people look at and  go 'no my bp does more damages'. Which is true when you look at arsenal hud. But what they forget is you multiply that damage by 3 because it shoots in 3 shot bursts. When you realize this, and learn to place all 3 shots in the same place, you will wreck things.

If you can get one, the Latron Prime is an amazing crit status weapon. On paper its only 37% crit, but in practice, you will crit a ton because its another semi auto. The status chance it has also helps a bunch.

Now for a non prime fairly easy to farm, newer player weapon. The grakata. Its a bullet hose yes, but it has a decent crit and status chance, that's basically a new players soma with a good status chance to back it up.  That you can use to farm the weapons I mentioned, and even your soma prime if you want.

There's also little reason to not get all of these weapons if you can, and switch in between them. Start with the grakata first, then pick which ever one sounds good to you and farm it up.

Hey OP, I have tried all weapons, there are tons of better weapons in different situations. It's hard to recommend something but, I too am maining a Boltor prime because it suits my playstyle. If you are like me, try Ignis, it may need several forma, but it's hella fun.
If you just want something that will make you strong and extend your e-peen, Tonkor is a good bet.

1 hour ago, --DARK said:

It's a matter of playstyle. Boltor and Soma are both really good. Personally I think Boltor is a bit better ( It can go a bit later game and more badass by impaling all the enemys to walls ).

Soma is really good cause of the crit but falls off lategame, but both cant go really really up endgame. Tonkor is really good for anything. ( And I would advise you hurry to MR 12 and get the Syndicate primary weapons ).

But again no weapon is "better". Its how you use it.( I hate and suck with snipers for example and a friend of mine loves them ).

I find this interesting, my experience is the complete opposite. My Boltor Prime falls of way before my Soma Prime. Mind sharing  your Boltor build?

Hit scan vs. projectile. It's really no different than the debate of Boltor vs. Karak, other than the guns are a lot more potent.

The SomaP is a bit more of a precision weapon and will make better use of the acolyte mods. However, they have similar performance; they just go about in somewhat different ways.

Personally, I haven't used either in quite a while. I prefer projectile weapons in mission types where the enemy comes to you. That minimizes issues with projectile flight speed and lead. Lately, the choice really comes down to what focus lens is on the weapon, as opposed to anything particular to the weapon itself.

Half a dozen of one, six of another. It'll come down to what you're willing to deal with gameplay-wise.

29 minutes ago, Sakatchi said:

Burston Prime is another excellent weapon that's better than the boltor prime that people look at and  go 'no my bp does more damages'. Which is true when you look at arsenal hud. But what they forget is you multiply that damage by 3 because it shoots in 3 shot bursts. When you realize this, and learn to place all 3 shots in the same place, you will wreck things.

you forgot Burston Prime's augment speeding up its fire rate, giving a gas aoe, all while still having a solid status chance

OT:

Boltor Prime is definitely one of the best rifles strictly in terms of raw power, but if you can score headshots consistently, Soma can easily outdo it, more easily so now because of the acolyte mods boosting either it's crit chance to red crit territory, crit damage, or even both if you have space for 2 mods. Seeing as you joined in September, if you have the Dex Sybaris, that's a VERY powerful gun as well; carrying an 85% crit chance with maxed Point Strike with a very nice damage per shot value that lets it compete with Soma Prime, not to mention the 1.5 second reload to get you back in the fight sooner.

In regards to Tonkor, it's also very powerful, easily activating argon scope for red crits and causing mass mayhem with only minor self harm compared to other launcher weapons that would usually instakill you.

Considering your playstyle as stated is "rushing into a room and killing essentially everything" I'd have to also recommend the following:

Amprex: vs 1 target it isn't great, but it's capable of reaching red crit territory with just point strike on, so fire that in a room filled with enemies and your DPS is going to skyrocket because of how it arcs from one enemy to another

Synoid Simulor: i all honestly, i haven't used it enough to know if there's a special way to use it aside from making mini vortexes, but it's got enough recommendations in a few threads so hopefully someone can further explain it in this post

(vaykor) hek and (sancti) tigris: both weapons are so devastating that even their standard issue form isn't something you'd take lightly. doesn't have a lot of shots, but that can easily be fixed while still being able to unload a hek-load of damage

No one mentioned the magazine sizes yet.

Soma prime magazine is 200 versus 60 for the Boltor prime.  Seems like you are always having to reload the Boltor

Aside from this, Soma has some great crit builds and is much more accurate.  It rewards accuracy and teaches you to headshot.  I like the Soma better than the boltor.

Guys i am currently MR8 . Moreover the boltor prime has faster reload so clip size doesnt matter. I really wanted to know is simulor a good weapon. I am talking about simulor and not about SYNOID simulor. I would appreciate if i get a few builds for the simulor. 

My tonkor is 2 forma and i have serration r7, heavy caliber r6, firestorm, malignant force, point strike, vital sense, hammer shot.

please also suggest me on my current tonkor build how much more forma and everything else.

I appreciate all the replies.

I dont have any acolyte mods no argon scope and stuff. But i can buy if it is good.

Now talking about my boltor prime i have a build like 4 forma:

heavy caliber r6, serration r7, split chamber, and four elementals. 

Would a piercing caliber give a boost dps to boltor prime?

THANK YOU

Edited by Chaitanyamd

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:16 PM, (PS4)lupowolfen said:

Aside from this, Soma has some great crit builds and is much more accurate.  It rewards accuracy and teaches you to headshot.  I like the Soma better than the boltor.

Actually, the BoltorP is more accurate, or has less dispersion if you prefer.

The issue with the BoltorP is projectile flight time. Otherwise, it's considerably more accurate than the SomaP. You could argue that it doesn't need that accuracy, but it's apparent this gun was built around using Heavy Caliber.