Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

EV Trinity - How and Why?

Tomppak

Question

I see constantly calls for EV trinity in the recruitment chat for different missions, and I want to know why and how:

1. What are the essential, MUST HAVE(/Bare minimum) mods for an effective EV trinity, and how heavily ranked do they need to be? Are syndicate mods required for an effective EV trinity build?

2. What, and how much, is the difference between a general trinity (let's say, no mods that affects power str or duration etc) versus a trinity specialized in EV?

3. Can a trinity with just some general mods fill the role of an EV trinity with relative ease, or is bringing a general trinity to the mission, when an EV trinity would be needed, generally a mistake big enough to fail the mission/make the mission a lot more difficult?

4. If the group calls for EV trinity, are you expected to continuously spam energy vampire, or is it more of a "use when needed" type of a thing?

5. To be an efficient EV trinity, do you need potato, and how many forma?

6. What else should I know if I'm planning to make an EV trinity?

7. Is EV trinity generally that good/broken, or is it just required for certain other frames so that they can spam their abilities?

Bonus question: What makes Draco so effective place for farming affinity? I haven't tried it myself yet, and am interested in "why" people choose draco over other missions. Is it an interception mission or survival or defense? (Could, but can't currently check the mission type from the wiki at the moment). Does Draco drop something as a reward that makes people wanna run it?

Any other tips regarding these subjects?

16 answers to this question

I'll try to give you a response based on the most recent version of Warframe - which is 18.11.1 at the time of writing. There have been a a few changes since some of the information posted above and it's easier to have it updated in one place for a more clear concise view.

So you don't have to click on various external links etc. I've posted the Energy Vampire build I last used (yesterday whilst levelling up the Stradavar from 20ish to 30).

Bear in mind I would not recommend anyone use this build under normal circumstances (which I'll get into later), it's here as a reference point.

Mrv6XFh.jpg

The basic strategy to an Energy Vampire build is to increase it's strength and range. The actual cast distance is very good at Level 30 Trinity(Prime) but the energy pulses themselves only encompass a 25m radius from the target at base. This is usable on  very small maps, where your team is relatively static - and it can be made to work on Draco, but isn't ideal. (Draco isn't everything)

EV tends to stun enemies affected (who aren't immune) and deals a small amount of damage. This isn't really what most people use it for, but it's there nonetheless.

Due to the fact that it normally replenishes energy in smaller amounts over time (affected by duration), people who prefer to have that energy replenish entirely upfront (spam builds) will build it for negative duration. Obviously this is extreme since at max power strength the energy pulses in a normal duration build tend to be useful enough for general play.

The downside:

The lack of duration effectively kills the useful properties of Link, and severely restricts Blessing - to the point that it becomes a heal only 'spell', and you can forget the damage invulnerability. The outcome of running this particular build is that you no longer have the ability to 'tank' and more to the point your survivability in general will take a massive nosedive. That is highlighted by the complete lack of defensive mods in the build pictured.

You don't 'need' to go to extremes to make Energy Vampire viable for general play. Depending on what you have access to, I would recommend just starting out with Stretch and Intensify in a balanced build and go from there. An Orokin Reactor is the preferred choice for frames you intend to actively use, but again Forma and mods will depend on what you actually have available.

Draco works with some pretty basic ideas.

1. First off the fact that it is an interception and spawns lots of enemies.
  2. Second it is the highest level planet(void doesn't works as well because their levels need to scale up).
  3. Finally high levels spawn more exp.

In recap lots of high level enemies give lots of exp.

Ps. why the bonus is so high still eludes me.

Can a trinity with just some general mods fill the role of an EV trinity with relative ease, or is bringing a general trinity to the mission, when an EV trinity would be needed, generally a mistake big enough to fail the mission/make the mission a lot more difficult?

It depends. I would suggest to avoid going as an ev in hardcore missions like LoR and even some sorties. Draco too. Until you will be 100% sure you know how to do it because there's NOTHING more annoying than people yelling at you "EEEV" or "NOOB TRINITY" al the time because you have low strenght or not a perfect range or some sht. And at the same time it will be your fault and no one esle if you won't provide energy so this role kinda sucks because you're always a scapegoat. That's why you can see so many messages asking for EV, because it's unrewarding, boring and sometimes even hard.

If the group calls for EV trinity, are you expected to continuously spam energy vampire, or is it more of a "use when needed" type of a thing?

Generally yes, they expect you to spam as much as you can. You can see oher players energy bars however and if it's not a Draco or smth, you can spam not as much if you'll see that everyone has enough energy.

To be an efficient EV trinity, do you need potato, and how many forma?

EV without potato is a failure and not an ev... On a prime version you will need around 2-3 formas, not sure about regular, never used it + exilus adapter.

What are the essential, MUST HAVE(/Bare minimum) mods for an effective EV trinity, and how heavily ranked do they need to be? Are syndicate mods required for an effective EV trinity build?

Stats matters. You need at least around 180 strenght, 235-250 range and as low duration as possible - and that means at least around 25% (the lower the better, I think the absolute minimum is like 12%). Someone will probably disagree with this, but in many cases if you don't have at least 180/235/20-30% some might say you're even leeching. Also, almost everyone will expect you to have vampire leech augment. Natural talent is not a must but if you can afford to use it, it helps too.

This is a must: (again, vamp leech if you have place) - alternatively, ditch intensify here and replace it with r8,9 or 10 if you can afford it blind rage for the same ~180-185% power strenght.

20160513194809_1.jpg

This is probably something close to ideal:

20160513194816_1.jpg

(don't mind enemy radar, there should be corrosive projection like in the first picture - and yes, it's better to forma your aura to cp if you will use it as EV mainly, and even if you will be using it for something else too)

All r10 mods that used here like blind rage or fleeting can be r8 or r9 if you don't have enough credits or cores to max them.

Edited by Nomen_Nescio

Its a trinity without duration for draco taht you see always. People on draco are just staying in one place and have do  xp.

Joey zero made an awesome tutorial about it

For trin its at 2:30 

The dps frames have changed but the trin and frost are still the same.

Edited by trunks013

You need trinity prime, the mods listed in the video above and no forma is needed but it can obviously be improved with a couple formas.
You can use normal trinity too but that frame is hella ugly and will cost you 3 forma to match the prime.

Edited by T7Alpha

1) You need all the range & strength mods. So intensify / stretch / blind rage / transient fortitude / overextended and having the 2 drift mods is good too, I'm talking about power drift and cunning drift. The syndicate mod "vampire leech" is great, but not mandatory. But people usually expect you to have it when you play trinity EV. And by the way, "flow" could be useful too. You also need fleeting expertise and (but not mandatory) streamline. All these mods must be as leveled up as possible, and you must NOT use any duration mod. The goal is to reduce it as much as possible

2) An EV trinity will give WAY more energy, and will provide overshield. (and still provide heal with ultimate)  However, an EV trinity is very squishy and can get shot very quickly because of the lack of link or blessing damage reduction.

3) A pure EV trinity is usually not that required, a regular trinity could do the trick, unless for heavy farming or very high content like sorties and raid when you really want the "overextended" range that is usually not on a regular trinity. A bless trinity can't give that much energy and has no range, but provide immortality... You could still make a trinity build providing energy and a bit of immortality.

4) It's usually a "press 2 as often as you see a target" kind of thing. If someone ask for an EV trinity, that means he'll spam crazy hard and will need energy every second.

5) Yes you need a potato because blind rage & transient fortitude use a lot of capacity. My trinity has 3 forma & a potato and can handle playing EV / bless and other kind of build. However, trinity is very hard to forma because of the lack of any damaging ability.

6) max range & strength & efficiency & minimum duration > press 2 as often as you can.  Only thing more you should know is "if you don't EV for 3 sec you'll get blamed", it's that kind of support thing

7) Infinite energy is broken, but in exchange she can be killed in 2 sec, so it's broken but not that much. And it's only useful when you have some teamates spamming hard like an excalibur radial javelin or an ember spamming 3 + 2 + ult etc etc..  Having infinite energy is amazing but if you have nobody using it, it's useless.

bonus : draco is an amazing place to farm simply because :

• The map is very tiny
  • Capturing points give a bit of affinity
  • Most efficient farm methods are using frame with abilities that can reach almost the wall map (excalibur's radial javelin or mirage's prism etc etc..)
  • The enemies are easy to kill (unless for these kavats master)
  • The most important point : Enemies spawn infinitely without ever stopping

41 minutes ago, Tomppak said:

1. What are the essential, MUST HAVE(/Bare minimum) mods for an effective EV trinity, and how heavily ranked do they need to be? Are syndicate mods required for an effective EV trinity build?

Range and strength mods.

41 minutes ago, Tomppak said:

2. What, and how much, is the difference between a general trinity (let's say, no mods that affects power str or duration etc) versus a trinity specialized in EV?

The difference is, EV specialized build spams 2 and provides 3x the energy that non-EV specialized build does. Also, if you don't build negative duration then you probably want to kill an EV'd enemy for the energy release so it's more effort.

42 minutes ago, Tomppak said:

3. Can a trinity with just some general mods fill the role of an EV trinity with relative ease, or is bringing a general trinity to the mission, when an EV trinity would be needed, generally a mistake big enough to fail the mission/make the mission a lot more difficult?

Yes, but as I said, you'll want to kill the EV'd enemies. Also, not building range = your allies have to stay relatively close to the target.

43 minutes ago, Tomppak said:

4. If the group calls for EV trinity, are you expected to continuously spam energy vampire, or is it more of a "use when needed" type of a thing?

You gotta spam.

5. To be an efficient EV trinity, do you need potato, and how many forma?

No forma if Trin P.

6. What else should I know if I'm planning to make an EV trinity?

You don't have to use the augment. It's optional x)

44 minutes ago, Tomppak said:

7. Is EV trinity generally that good/broken, or is it just required for certain other frames so that they can spam their abilities?

It's broken and I hope it gets nerfed!

If you are wanting to get EV Trinity so you can get in on the the LF Draco groups, prepare for utter to be bored to death pressing 2. The only other thing I can think of remotely more boring is t4 intercepts in the void with mirage...if you are doing something other than pressing 2 and messing up the meta group....prepare for nerd rage prime to be emptied in your direction.

Trinity does not have to be boring though. I only play my EV in non-draco environments, usually to help out a team. Hardest part of adjusting to playing her is keeping up EV and watching your teammates health so you can drop a blessing if you don't also have a blessing Trin. She can be pretty intense to play in some situations and often can make or break a team depending on if she is played well or poorly. If wildly running around shooting, scooting and face pwning is your thing, feel free to try her but she's probably not your thing.

There are some other builds I've seen that some people have great success playing as a nearly un-killable tank and you can check a few of them out on youtube and forums/reddit but just be aware when you see all the LF EV in the recruiting chat, if its not a sortie or LoR they are wanting you to stand still on a box pressing 2 so RJ Excal or other AOE spammer can keep fed on energy for 15 minutes.

43 minutes ago, Raniu said:

Range and strength mods.

The difference is, EV specialized build spams 2 and provides 3x the energy that non-EV specialized build does. Also, if you don't build negative duration then you probably want to kill an EV'd enemy for the energy release so it's more effort.

Yes, but as I said, you'll want to kill the EV'd enemies. Also, not building range = your allies have to stay relatively close to the target.

You gotta spam.

No forma if Trin P.

You don't have to use the augment. It's optional x)

It's broken and I hope it gets nerfed!

Why do you want the only energy battery and life saver frame to get nerfed ? 

2 minutes ago, MadPugWithBeard said:

Why do you want the only energy battery and life saver frame to get nerfed ? 

Energy batteries are stupid. The game shouldn't be all about spamming 1-2-3-4 but playing skillfully and being able to manage your energy well.

However, energy system is not perfect. And the first thing DE want to do about it is nerf EV Trin being able to replenish everyone's energy for free. Dunno, make her not receive the energy from pulses or rework the ability or something.

41 minutes ago, Arezael said:

- snip -

This, and what Nomen_Nescio  posted, are what I was looking for, thank you.
Yeah, google is a good place to find a build, but "knowing" is different from understanding, and these two answers really help explaining the how's, why's, and the mechanics behind it. Especially since I'm a new Tenno, and can't afford the mods nor the ranks to "go max" immediately - now I know a bit better what to expect, and what to aim for.

Thank you! ^.^

24 minutes ago, Tomppak said:

This, and what Nomen_Nescio  posted, are what I was looking for, thank you.
Yeah, google is a good place to find a build, but "knowing" is different from understanding, and these two answers really help explaining the how's, why's, and the mechanics behind it. Especially since I'm a new Tenno, and can't afford the mods nor the ranks to "go max" immediately - now I know a bit better what to expect, and what to aim for.

Thank you! ^.^

And I applaud you for actually wanting to know the why as opposed to "giv me build plz: Title^" What utterly confuses me is why people don't actually try to find the information before making post #13747569474 about something that has been covered numerous times very thoroughly in both text and video form. It isn't like this is a new game and there is no information out there for it. Like I said that Reddit post was the very first thing that came up and there was back and forth on the mods and why they were required, so it literally covered everything you wanted.

The must have mods for EV are Overextended and at least one of Transient Fortitude or Fleeting Expertise (ideally, you want both - the one place where I'd disagree with Nomen's "ideal" build is that I'd probably use Quick Thinking rather than Natural Talent (you can probably also get away with replacing Intensify with something else, taking a bit away from the strength of your EV to be a bit more than just a walking energy pizza).  The idea is to get high range and strength paired with low duration.  The low duration makes sure the energy waves from EV happen quickly, while high range ensures that they'll reach allies who aren't sitting on top of the enemy you targetted (and gives you the freedom to target enemies when they're further away and still get energy yourself), and high power makes sure that it's restoring plenty of energy with each use so that allies can do things like spam high-cost powers and ignore power efficiency while blaming you if they ever find themselves running low.

Off-topic... kinda;
But it makes me so sad when some people are saying trinity is OP and needs a nerf, because it's not like she can bless while in EV build, she sacrifices nearly all of her survivability and damage to empower her team with energy (if they are in range) and possibly overshields which only tend to last if you continue to cast EV.
I would personally say that I think blessing build is much more powerful (Again does not need nerf, why can't we have a powerful support class? I don't see anybody out there complaining about frost being OP Plez nerf)