The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Im not convinced Chroma's color mechanic is a passive

(PSN)TrollyThyTrinity

13 minutes ago, (PS4)pastard323 said:

You can change the element of your frames abilities, I think it is a good passive.

Your idea is also pretty good but I think that chroma doesn't need it

Equinox can change and has a passive. Plus she can change mid missio n. I made a thread on this as well.

Chroma should be able to change Colors mid mission.

but more relevant to the thread - that s... ain't a passive. that's part of the function of his Abilities.
what would be fitting for Chroma, would be taking Frosts' auto retaliate on Melee hit thing, and apply it to Chroma. Melee Attackers have a Chance (like 20%? gotta be a decent chance comeon) to get Damaged and afflicted with Status depending on Chroma's current Color setting. so yno, Fire/Elec/Ice/Toxin.

(and then give Frost a real passive, something that actually makes freakin' sense for the Warframe)

Personally, I'd like to see Chroma's powers independent of the color picker. Maybe even make it so that the energy color you choose just determines your starting element and then you can switch freely between them (using a similar mechanic to Vauban and Ivara's power picker on his #2 power). Mainly because the color selection for certain elements is terrible.

Edited by Cradicias

Said this in another thread, but I'll say it again:

Equinox Seems to be a Reactive adapter: "I see a durable Eximus, I'll switch to damage form."

Chroma seems to be a Proactive adapter: "I will be fighting Infested. I will bring fire."

While having Chroma be able to change mid-mission would, in theory, be cool, it would demolish this nice, balancing dichotomy.

1 hour ago, chainchompguy3 said:

Said this in another thread, but I'll say it again:

Equinox Seems to be a Reactive adapter: "I see a durable Eximus, I'll switch to damage form."

Chroma seems to be a Proactive adapter: "I will be fighting Infested. I will bring fire."

While having Chroma be able to change mid-mission would, in theory, be cool, it would demolish this nice, balancing dichotomy.

I fail to see how that'd be the case, with an Equinox treatment Chroma would be much better yet far from OP. Not to mentiont how uninteresting and annoying it is having to change your color before every single mission.

Besides, Chroma came out before Equinox did so it's not so hard to be convinced he was merely a prototype for the 'changing power effects' aspect that just hasn't been updated.

4 minutes ago, RahuHordika said:

I fail to see how that'd be the case, with an Equinox treatment Chroma would be much better yet far from OP. Not to mentiont how uninteresting and annoying it is having to change your color before every single mission.

Besides, Chroma came out before Equinox did so it's not so hard to be convinced he was merely a prototype for the 'changing power effects' aspect that just hasn't been updated.

I am not saying it'd be OP. I meant it'd cause an overlap of characteristics, when the splitting of them is what makes them so unique. Each warframe has a unique theme and semi-unique role in a squad. Chroma and Equinox are very close to each other in theme, and so keeping them clearly separated by the Proactive/Reactive barrier will help to retain each warframe's identity.

You don't have to change before each mission, seeing as how you are likely going to fight the same faction multiple times in a row, as per grinding. This is especially true since many people only end up using Cold or Heat: I have yet to see a Toxin chroma (Outside of PVP), and have only seen 1 electric chroma.

And no, Chroma is not "Just a prototype". DE works hard on their frames, and would likely not release an entire character based around "just wanting a prototype". They can test on their Dev-Build, and release something they are happy with.

and to further my point, I'd like to throw in that Equinox is a duality frame, Day to night, Mended to Maimed, Provoked to Asleep. States that are alternating extremes. Things that are meant to be shifted between.

Chroma is a Chromatic Dragon frame. The Chromatic Dragons do not simply change to fit the situation, or change forms. Each type of chromatic dragon is different in it's own right. But DE acknowledged that some want to play as Fire Dragons, and some as Ice Dragons. So they gave us ways to have multiple forms of the same Frame, incorporated a good 4 dragons into 1 frame.

26 minutes ago, chainchompguy3 said:

I am not saying it'd be OP. I meant it'd cause an overlap of characteristics, when the splitting of them is what makes them so unique. Each warframe has a unique theme and semi-unique role in a squad. Chroma and Equinox are very close to each other in theme, and so keeping them clearly separated by the Proactive/Reactive barrier will help to retain each warframe's identity.

You don't have to change before each mission, seeing as how you are likely going to fight the same faction multiple times in a row, as per grinding. This is especially true since many people only end up using Cold or Heat: I have yet to see a Toxin chroma (Outside of PVP), and have only seen 1 electric chroma.

And no, Chroma is not "Just a prototype". DE works hard on their frames, and would likely not release an entire character based around "just wanting a prototype". They can test on their Dev-Build, and release something they are happy with.

and to further my point, I'd like to throw in that Equinox is a duality frame, Day to night, Mended to Maimed, Provoked to Asleep. States that are alternating extremes. Things that are meant to be shifted between.

Chroma is a Chromatic Dragon frame. The Chromatic Dragons do not simply change to fit the situation, or change forms. Each type of chromatic dragon is different in it's own right. But DE acknowledged that some want to play as Fire Dragons, and some as Ice Dragons. So they gave us ways to have multiple forms of the same Frame, incorporated a good 4 dragons into 1 frame.

While you make some fair points, I'd like to make the point that matters most in game design: giving Chroma the ability to switch elements in mission would be more FUN. Whenever a developer makes a decision about balance, that's what's most important, which option will make the game more fun for my players? A lot of people are like me, they'll only use the colors they like. Unfortunately for me, that means I pretty much will never use Ice or Electric element cause I abhor most of the choices available for them. But, I'd still LIKE to use those elements at times. Allowing Chroma to choose his element while keeping a static color would allow him to be used more fully to his original purpose of being the king of elements or as the wiki describes it " The bestial avatar of the primal forces of nature."

Edited by Cradicias

7 minutes ago, Cradicias said:

While you make some fair points, I'd like to make the point that matters most in game design: giving Chroma the ability to switch elements in mission would be more FUN. Whenever a developer makes a decision about balance, that's what's most important, which option will make the game more fun for my players? A lot of people are like me, they'll only use the colors they like. Unfortunately for me, that means I pretty much will never use Ice or Electric element cause I abhor most of the choices available for them. But, I'd still LIKE to use those elements at times. Allowing Chroma to choose his element while keeping a static color would allow him to be used more fully to his original purpose of being the king of elements.

Makes sense, as again, I have yet to see a Toxin chroma, and have only seen 1 electric chroma.

Having Power type tied to aesthetics is certainly running into the issue with Arcane Helmets.

However, I am still against changing mid-mission. I'd much rather simply add a menu button, or something of the sort.

If Chroma could switch elements during missions it would make all the elements much more useful. And we would stop having situations when you forgot to change energy color and have to restart a mission.

Having to manually switch an element is not a passive.

It would be very nice to have Chroma be able to change elements mid-mission, but in all honesty, I have no idea when or why I would use that feature, since I pretty much use a different build for each element. 

With that being said, I really wouldn't want to be able to change elements unless I really meant to. I don't think tap to switch/hold to cast would be a good idea. I think that holding 2 should open up a gear wheel that lets me pick which element I want. 

In fact, that could be a better way for Quiver and Minelayer to work...