Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are the best shotguns for dmg and cc? Almost rank 4 :D

SepticSean

Question

16 answers to this question

Google is your friend as there are a ton of people with guides and videos with builds.

Forma farming is also covered (basically specifically void missions), go to the wiki and look up forma to see where.

Hek is solid and available to you at MR4 as well as being good through to late game. Probably the best place to start.

10 minutes ago, UnknownBrigade said:

For forma basically can run almost any void mission and get them. Tigris is good. Somewhat depends on personal liking.

9 minutes ago, Wopel said:

Google is your friend as there are a ton of people with guides and videos with builds.

Forma farming is also covered (basically specifically void missions), go to the wiki and look up forma to see where.

Hek is solid and available to you at MR4 as well as being good through to late game. Probably the best place to start.

What about sobek is that good too? I got acid shells :D

2 minutes ago, SepticSean said:

What about sobek is that good too? I got acid shells :D

It may get you through the starchart. With acid shells it is absolutely devastating aginst trash mobs.

Doesn't perform well on higher levels tho. 100% corrosive proc on acid shells could've fixed this, but I doubt DE will touch new augments any time soon.

if u can spend little bit of money to buy strun wraith set from somebody u won't regret it

high status and good amount of pellets in nice and tight package make it pretty good for using viral/corrosive + fire to stop enemies in their tracks and it is quite strong too

not sure if it has mr lock tho :/

For lower levels, definitely Sobek with both augments. Good reliable damage, crazy aoe explosions (can clear rooms), and syndicate effect that heals.

For higher levels against armor, Strun Wraith can't be beat (I main a Santigs 100k every ~1.5 seconds) due to its naturally high status chance. Put corrosive and fire and wreck everything. Against unarmored enemies, the 100% proc is great for CC.

I second Strun Wraith 100% Corrosive/Fire or Corrosive/Blast build. With no buffs, kills a level 110 Corrupted Heavy Gunner  in less than five shots, if you consistently hit the head. Armor shred, soft or hard CC, tight spread, unique reload (that I love), and with the conclave skin is the most BA looking shotgun out there.

Shotguns are really good choice of weapons, but the most common ones I hear about are the Santi Tigris, the Veykor Hek, The Hek, and the Sobek.

Due to the fact that you're MR4. the Santci Tigris and the Vaykor Hek are out of the question ,right off the bat. Especially since the Vaykor needs Primed Point Blank and Primed Ravage to really rock worlds here.

On to what you can use, the Hek,the Sobek and the Tigris.

TIGRIS:

The Tigris is a cool, Force-A-Nature style boomstick. It has a high damage, but low accuracy and it's definitely not a long range shotgun. Similar to the Hek Mentioned below, it's primarily a raw damage beast. Like the Sobek, it functions well with elements, gaining 98% status chance. Unlike the hek and sobek however, this gun has standard shotgun falloff, whereas the hek and sobek and go semi long range, the Tigris is best at mid and close range encounters. The Duplex Trigger is strange, as it fires the first shot while you hold down the fire button but won't fire the second until you let go, allowing for fast rapid fire action.

http://goo.gl/v9Qi7y

I'd say go for the tigris if you want to be close to mid-range, but otherwise I'd suggest the hek and the sobek if you want a shotgun that goes above and beyond.

HEK:

I hated the hek and I felt it was overrated. Despite the 200% multishot justice mod, the hek fails at something that's pretty important, and that's Crowd Control. Even with punch through mods, the hek still wasn't quick enough in mowing down enemies. Is it a good shotgun? Yeah, it definitely is, and it will get you to about level 60-80ish but it is NOT sortie worthy, no matter what these seemingly Hek Worshippers say about it. You'll need a good amount of forma to really get it rolling in higher levels. Also, most of the mods needed to really get that far are either from Baro, rare drops or require trading. Frequent reloads will also plague you, and since you're going to be more concerned about raw damage, you're most likely not going to fit in elemental mods or clip extension mods.

http://goo.gl/KT6j01

Despite that high damage rating, the Vaykor hek (The Faction MR12 Varient) does MUCH more damage if built right, but this is only for references sake. If you do end up liking the Hek, you can go on and grab the Vaykor at MR12.

SOBEK

People love to dismiss the Sobek and say 'HEK HEK 200% MULTISHOT" despite it's crowd control issues and frequent reloads (which can be hazardous in higher levels) While the Hek seems to function more like a Quad Boomstick of sorts, the Sobek is like a Scattergun from TF2 and a AA-12 had a weird baby, and boy is it a good baby.

The one major thing EVERYONE forgets, is that: 

A. The Sobek is REALLY good with elements, especially if you see the dual stat mods in the top row and the Shattering Justice Augment. You can configure them almost infinitely to match whatever element, needed for the situation at hand (Viral/Radiation, Gas/Magnetic/, Blast/Corrosive)

B. The Sobek, like the Jat Kittag, has an insanely powerful mod called acid shells. Acid shells basically, if you kill a guy, an explosion will occur around him in a 15m Radius. This will deal 450 Corrosive damage and automatically take 45% of the enemies max health despite the level. That's right, DESPITE THE LEVEL. That means it could be a level 135 infested and you'd take a huge chunk of health from everyone around him. Especially effective against healers and shield ospreys in both Corpus and Orokin tilesets. Acid shells also causes the Justice augment to frequently Proc, allowing you to heal far more efficiently than you could with the Hek. It's fairly cheap at 10-20 platinum or you can farm kela for it (lots of fusion cores from Raathum too, always a bonus) 

The hek may be able to achieve a high status rate as well, but due to its small clip and its frequent reloads, it can't slug rounds continuously and apply constant pressure. The Sobek has a 20 round clip, each shot has a 93% chance to proc and if it kills, can clean a whole group without even trying. I have killed Level 135 Corrupted Crewmen/Grineer, Corpus, Infested, you name it.

Modding is relatively inexpensive too. You only need 3 forma, and all the status mods together add up to less than 100 plat usually (Shell shock is real expensive, about 40 plat, the rest are 5-10 plat respectively) I spent about 50 plat buying the augment and the 4 dual stat mods in the top row. Whereas the hek needs more forma and multiple mods that can be rather costly to run at higher levels, the sobek has the ability to scale to level (thanks to Acid Shells) unlike the Hek. And that beats the hek in my book.

Here are the issues with the sobek:

4 Second Reload, can be annoying but if you have a good side arm or melee, or a warframe with multiple one arm actions, it's not as bad.

Without Primed Point Blank, it'll be harder to kill heavier units at higher levels, unless you run blast/corrosive since corrosive stacks. It's not as needed though as it is on the Hek and its Vaykor Counterpart.

Acid shells doesn't always activate, this seems to be a bug with the radius. However, when it does activate, you'll literally be able to clear a room faster than any Boltor Prime or Supra ever could.

The justice mod frequently goes off due to acid shells crowd control, so it's not a gun you want on a spy mission or on any tile-sets with destroy-able puzzle (Void/Moon) (Though I don't know why you'd bring a shotgun to spy mission to begin with)

At higher levels, Headshots and Target Priortizing become big. Take out ancients and ospreys first, the acid shells will do more damage that way.

Spoiler Below contains my Sobek Build. This is just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Spoiler

rxEbiVO.jpg?1

Edited by Shogunslinger
Grammar and misplaced words.

I recently posted a very similar thread that you might be interested in reading:

There are a lot of very interesting responses on it, but to give you a summary:

Vaykor Hek / Sancti Tigris for damage, Sobek for Crows / AoE, Wraith Strun for Status, and Drakgoon are the most common answers.

Oh young padawan, you'll soon learn that you are giving way more credit to the meta than it deserves.

The only thing that fits your description is Strun Wraith.

Best shotguns in the game are: Sancti Tigris, Vaykor Hek, they happen to need MR12; If you are under that, their not so beautiful cousins Tigris and Hek will do the job almost as fine.

Honored mentions which happen also to be a little on the exotic side: Phage and Kohm, both these weapons to shine need specific mods that you will only use for them so they should be a very long term goal for when you are bored. I could give you in depth explanations on how to build these two to be at their max potential but it wouldn't serve you at this stage.

1 hour ago, SepticSean said:

does hek have cc?

no.
it applies Status Effects, very, very inoftenly. it's Damage, and just Damage.

Boar Prime and Strun Wraith (with Kohm as an honorable mention) are the only Shotguns that really have any CC worth mentioning. everything else has a fairly poor Status Chance, so you won't really get any CC out of them.

15 hours ago, taiiat said:

no.
it applies Status Effects, very, very inoftenly. it's Damage, and just Damage.

Boar Prime and Strun Wraith (with Kohm as an honorable mention) are the only Shotguns that really have any CC worth mentioning. everything else has a fairly poor Status Chance, so you won't really get any CC out of them.

kohm drains ammo quickly I have it and should I get tigris or sobek I narrowed it to these 2.