Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The "Yay Mag!" thread

--RV--ohestnes

Just some quick observations from running 4 missions with new mag. Did the 20 round defense alert twice with a 4 man team, failed at wave 15 in the first one with 51% of the kills and succeeded in the second with 42% of the kills. Forma'ed and did a draco run starting at level 0, we can disregard that one. Next run starting at level 16 got 41% of the kills in a 4 man team.

Very very preliminary but ... if you work her 2 and 3 (and sometimes even 4) together this is all I had hoped for.

Anyone else love the rework?

Edited by ohestnes
Numerous drunked typos

I dont necessarily say I "love" the rework but its decent. I liked my Corpus BoogyMag, but the rework was needed so she wasnt just a 1 faction 1 button "ggwpMKIW" frame.

Focus farming with her on Corpus got a bit more tedious and I would really like if DE gave us a way to pull lenses off frames. I have other damage dealers I would rather have that lens on unfortunately....

2 minutes ago, giantconch said:

I dont necessarily say I "love" the rework but its decent. I liked my Corpus BoogyMag, but the rework was needed so she wasnt just a 1 faction 1 button "ggwpMKIW" frame.

I liked the Corpus BoogieMan as well, but considering this as a rework and not expecting it to be a straight buff I'm very happy (so far anyways). She went from killing everything 1/3 of the time, to doing a very god job killing things 100% of the time.

Just now, ohestnes said:

I liked the Corpus BoogieMan as well, but considering this as a rework and not expecting it to be a straight buff I'm very happy (so far anyways). She went from killing everything 1/3 of the time, to doing a very god job killing things 100% of the time.

Playstyle and skill dependant of course, but yeah thats exactly my point. Cheers!

It's... acceptable.  Magnetize feels too small to me even with max range, and Polarize doesn't do as much damage as I would have hoped, but her kit does have potential.  I will probably be using Vauban more than her now though, since he does area denial a lot better than she does.

3 minutes ago, ArcusVeles said:

It's... acceptable.  Magnetize feels too small to me even with max range, and Polarize doesn't do as much damage as I would have hoped, but her kit does have potential. 

When I looked at the numbers updating her build for these missions I thought the same thing (well, I thought the numbers looked disappointing, not acceptable). And even during the missions I thought the same thing .... "This isn't all that effective". I was surprised to see the damage and kill numbers at the end of the missions. I think possibly the fact that the kills aren't instant anymore, like we're used to with Mag, makes her new 2 and 3 seem less effective than they really are.

But again I only have a few missions under my belt ... this was my gut reaction after those

I dont like that mechanic that was implemented on mag and other frames, that you have to use one power for others to do something.
I like to choose according to the situation the most usefull power.But that just me, overall i dont like the rework.It changed the overall mag gameplay..where i used to be able to choose if i want to CC or do dmg. Altough obviously that magnetize its more usefull than bullet atractor.. and shield polarize being duration based contributed to that.
I don't really understand the need for some changes.

I got a shock when I first tried her new kit as I went into the 3rd Sortie mission, Ambulas Assassinate.  First enemy I see is an Elite Crewman walking away from me so I try Polarize to soften him up before shooting.  Polarize barely scratched his shields with a build that used to strip 93% off.  Once I reached Ambulas though Magnetize realy did the job!

After that I tried her in a T4defence and she was great, Shield Transference giving overshields off armoured targets too helps and my old build does enough to armour to completely remove it from all enemies up to about wave 10 and all smaller enemies up to at least 20 with only 1 Corrosive Projection on the team.  Crowds of shielded enemies still die in droves as that little bit is multiplied and bounced to the others but you need them to be in large groups to justify the energy cost of Polarize now.

Edited by Katinka
Shield Transference doesn't give overshields on hitting armoured targets, it gives a small amount on cast if you are already at max but none on contact with enemy.

I ran my Mag on Sorties 2 times to see how the changes affected her.

On Corpus, Polarized suffered from the same setback everyone expected. As it expands, damage fall off rapidly, and the damage in the outer limits is kinda negligible. Going full duration is not going to be effective as you will also need range for that damage bounce. Not to mention strength since the damage numbers are definitely lower. So it's definitely harder to build for polarize now. That said, it is refreshing that a frame requires some form of balancing act to be effective.

The plus side is alternating magnetize with polarize does create a bullet shielding mine field. But this is energy intensive to do unless built for maxed efficiency and Zenurik. So on energy reduction missions, you will have a hard time. With Magnetize alone, it is possible to create bullet barriers so there's that too.

I did a few Draco runs to see how she fared against armor. It's pretty effective if you build for duration and strip armor off mobs from a mile away. It's very possible to completely strip armor off mobs. I noticed only heavies still have yellow health in most cases.

Edited by Currilicious

While I've noticed that Magnetize is much better, I'm disappointed that they went Blizzard on Polarize. Basically they were like "Oh you like polarize? Now's it's useless as a damage ability!"  I realize it was OP against corpus but now it's basically just a shield buff. Yes, it strips armor too, but on high level enemies it takes way to many casts to be worth using it like Banshee's Sonic Boom augment. 

I love her new Magnetice, it makes any projectile based enemy just shoot all his damage straight back at himself and the allies around. (her old Bullet Attractor worked similarly, but seemed way less effective somehow.)

The increased chance of energy orbs on Pull doesn't exactly help much currently. But Pull was already one of the best 1st abilities.

Polarize is amazing on the starchart with a little powerstrength. But the new "fixed number" based damage scales badly compared to her old polarize. Hope this was not intentional, or at least gets some percentage based scalability. Perhaps a hybrid of fixed damage and percentage like the Kella mods. Something like 500 base damage + 25% total shield/armor. With around 200% powerstrength you'll never need to cast more than 3 times to strip armor/shields. No instant nuking, but potential to go without CP on high endless runs.

Her 4 was always decent, still leaves you vulnerable. Only suggestion would be to perhaps create more armor/shields shards so it helps out Magnetize DoT.

11 minutes ago, undernown said:

(her old Bullet Attractor worked similarly, but seemed way less effective somehow.)

3 reasons:

1) it didnt root the enemy in place

2) it didnt pull enemies to the center

3) It was dispelled the moment the enemy you cast it on died.

I just killed 8 level 110 Conculysts with Magnetize + Lanka.

While I do lament the loss of an AoE ability that scales with enemies, I'm glad she's not completely useless vs. high level enemies after the changes. I repeat, level 110 Conculysts.

The rest of the changes seems a little bit underwhelming though. Crush is still mediocre and leaves you vulnerable. Polarize is bleh, can't even kill groups of level 40 Crewmens. Somewhat decent at shredding armor on starcharts but you really don't need to shred armor at starchart... Pull is still annoying as hell if your teammate spams it but it does work better now since it actually pulls enemies toward your foot and not... Everywhere.