Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How should I upgrade my PC? (SOLVED)

Cyborg-Rox

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for a while now, since I'm barely able to run Fallout 4 decently with a lowered screen resolution, and some other graphic tweaks. Thing is though, Fallout 4 is far from advanced graphic-wise compared to other triple A titles over the recent years. I'm able to run games like Warframe and Skyrim smoothly on my max resolution though, so I don't think I need too much of an upgrade.

Alright, so here's my stuph:

2DhGnt6.png psm5nBf.png

So basically what I'm wondering is, what should I prioritize upgrading, what should I upgrade it to, and how much will that cost me?
I'd like to keep a budget of around 200 dollars.

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

37 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for a while now, since I'm barely able to run Fallout 4 decently with a lowered screen resolution, and some other graphic tweaks. Thing is though, Fallout 4 is far from advanced graphic-wise compared to other triple A titles over the recent years. I'm able to run games like Warframe and Skyrim smoothly on my max resolution though, so I don't think I need too much of an upgrade.

Alright, so here's my stuph:

2DhGnt6.png psm5nBf.png

So basically what I'm wondering is, what should I prioritize upgrading, what should I upgrade it to, and how much will that cost me?
I'd like to keep a budget of around 200 dollars.

Well it depends how much money you want to spend. If you want to change CPU, depending on the cpu's socket, you'll also need to upgrade you motherboard. 

The easiest upgrade is RAM and GPU. 

Edited by Stoner74

1 minute ago, Stoner74 said:

Well it depends how much money you want to spend. If you want to change CPU, depending on the cpu's socket, you'll also need to upgrade you motherboard. 

You... saw the portion where I said I wanted to keep a budget of 200 dollars, right?

Well... Graphics card wise, GTX 760 and 960 are really good mid-range GPUs. If you can find one under 200$ that is. Other than that, i don't think you can replace all 3 under 200. A good GPU is around 200-250 while good CPUs are probably 120 to 250. Usually AMD are much cheaper than Intel. 

Your RAM in fine, if you're going to want to change your CPU, make sure it's the right socket that will fit your current Mobo.  If not you will need to buy a new Mobo.  If you want to get a new GPU you will need to make sure your PSU can handle the power output.  If you have any questions.  Please feel free to ask.

Just now, Cyborg-Rox said:

Well no, I have no idea what PSU stands for.

Power supply unit.  It's what powers your computer.  You must think before you buy these things people are saying you should get.  Make sure all parts are compatible and will function properly.  I would recommend PCpartpicker.  It's a website.  Go there and input all the parts you currently have, it will show you what parts are compatible with your current setup.

3 minutes ago, AVENTUS said:

Your RAM in fine, if you're going to want to change your CPU, make sure it's the right socket that will fit your current Mobo.  If not you will need to buy a new Mobo.  If you want to get a new GPU you will need to make sure your PSU can handle the power output.  If you have any questions.  Please feel free to ask.

Okay... how do I make sure my PSU can handle the power output?
Oh, and what's PSU?

Yes, I know, I sound like a blonde American trying to use a shift stick.

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

Ya I've noticed myself that some games are causing my system to hit the 8 gb in ram and other than better graphics card, any thoughts on getting an SSD?

I just ordered my first one yesterday so soon I finally won't be on the same level as the rest of the slow load peasents.

Even if he upgrades the GPU, he will stumble across some bottleneck with that dual core CPU. From my point of view he should change the CPU first, and then go for GPU if he has the money/and proper PSU. Search for some i5 processor to get, and a nice cooler for some overclock if it's needed in the future. Look for i5 3570k or something similar. Even if you get GTX1080 GPU it won't do much since it will be "slowed down" by that pentium processor... just my 2 cents

1 minute ago, KnotOfMetal said:

Ya I've noticed myself that some games are causing my system to hit the 8 gb in ram and other than better graphics card, any thoughts on getting an SSD?

I just ordered my first one yesterday so soon I finally won't be on the same level as the rest of the slow load peasents.

Getting an SSd is the best upgrade you can do to your PC. Install you OS on it and it goes super saiyan.

1 minute ago, -GaMeR- said:

Even if he upgrades the GPU, he will stumble across some bottleneck with that dual core CPU. From my point of view he should change the CPU first, and then go for GPU if he has the money/and proper PSU. Search for some i5 processor to get, and a nice cooler for some overclock if it's needed in the future. Look for i5 3570k or something similar. Even if you get GTX1080 GPU it won't do much since it will be "slowed down" by that pentium processor... just my 2 cents

If it's really gonna be getting that expensive, I'm leaning more towards getting a PS4 instead. I'd be able to get some cheap used games from Gamestop stores, and there's some PS4 exclusives I've really been wanting to get as well.

1 minute ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

If it's really gonna be getting that expensive, I'm leaning more towards getting a PS4 instead. I'd be able to get some cheap used games from Gamestop stores, and there's some PS4 exclusives I've really been wanting to get as well.

If that is also an option, and you think it's the right one go for it. If I was you, I would've get some i5 from ebay or something, get proper cooler and then try and leave some money on the side so I can get a better gpu later. If you don't want to spend that kind of money for both new parts than maybe it's better to get that PS4. One more question on this, how much power does you PSU have?(ex 500W,650W,750W)

Depending on the Graphics card you are wanting to upgrade to, and games you play, you might be able to get by on an nvidia 960 4GB if since you are using max settings ideally by your intent. I think, the American computer part store, Micro Center or Newegg have competitive pricing available. If that is the route you take, and your power supply is cool with it; the system should be able to play the games specified with few problems.

Down the road or if budget allows, for newer chase titles, you might need to consider a replacement of the aging CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. Whether to buy a competitive OEM or build it yourself is a personal and budgetary call but both have advantages and disadvantages. Good luck in your upgrade path!

I'd advise either upgrading your CPU or your GPU or both.

The Pentium series is quite old, but if you're having an okay time with your old CPU, just the GPU.

A GTX 770 would be plenty of an upgrade, and they run just around 200-250 for new cards.