Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mari's Corpus Skins + Other Various Tennogen-Related Things

16 hours ago, Haruhiist said:

I liked that you love Corpus designs, and I also want to see more Corpus-related stuff in the game. Thank you for daily reminder that Corpus is love.

1434626755681s.jpg

The Corpus seem to be a very unloved faction. I hope that eventually one day they will get the amount of attention they deserve, but for now, we are swimming in a world of Grineer.

No updates currently, sorry. I've spent all day yesterday doing yard work, and since I really don't work out or anything, my entire body is aching pretty badly. I'll try to make progress sculpting the Corpnyx head, but for now, I need to step back a moment and let my body recuperate.

Edited by MissMarifire

I'll chime in here!

I got a bit of experience with "theming" skins, the first thing you want to do (in my view) is pick an appropiate frame. Not every frame got the shape to pull of a certain style.

Corpus is heavily cloth based and super robotic (simplified).

So for example a frame like excalibur would struggle with that, seeing how its very organic, rounded and spiky.

As for your tools, I havent done much sculping in blender, but I know it's not good enough to actually bake down from. Whilst software like zbrush uses some sort of magic 2,5D to be able to pull of 20-40 milion triangles in a sculpt blender just sub-ds. It will make your computer crash if you do that.

And without doing it you will end up with something that's a bit muddy. Which corpus isnt.

Have a look around at youtube on how people deal with sculpting in blender.

Anyways. some tips that have helped me.

-Paint out everything on your model using blenders texture painting tool.. Define what's armor. Whats cloth. What color/material goes where.. Just do it roughly
-Split your model into these segments. so  a bodysock, pauldrons. legplates..etc etc. Don't try to sculpt out of one piece, it requires a lot of experience.
- Corpus and grineer are both practical (..well..-ish) Try to make the design make sense atleast at the outset. Don't plate a soft area that bends alot (like a joint) etc.

What you will be struggling with to make anything corpus themed is the helmet. They are very very specific. Have a look at vauban/valkyr to see how they did it.

If we disregard all the words that came out of my mouth there. You're on the right track wiht the design, Don't detail in things to quickly. Do the big shapes first, then detail in later. And watch a lot of blender sculpt tutorials. I dont know how to do what I do in blender only, thankfully i got zbrush so.

Edited by fredaven

39 minutes ago, fredaven said:

I'll chime in here!

I got a bit of experience with "theming" skins, the first thing you want to do (in my view) is pick an appropiate frame. Not every frame got the shape to pull of a certain style.

Corpus is heavily cloth based and super robotic (simplified).

So for example a frame like excalibur would struggle with that, seeing how its very organic, rounded and spiky.

As for your tools, I havent done much sculping in blender, but I know it's not good enough to actually bake down from. Whilst software like zbrush uses some sort of magic 2,5D to be able to pull of 20-40 milion triangles in a sculpt blender just sub-ds. It will make your computer crash if you do that.

And without doing it you will end up with something that's a bit muddy. Which corpus isnt.

Have a look around at youtube on how people deal with sculpting in blender.

Anyways. some tips that have helped me.

-Paint out everything on your model using blenders texture painting tool.. Define what's armor. Whats cloth. What color/material goes where.. Just do it roughly
-Split your model into these segments. so  a bodysock, pauldrons. legplates..etc etc. Don't try to sculpt out of one piece, it requires a lot of experience.
- Corpus and grineer are both practical (..well..-ish) Try to make the design make sense atleast at the outset. Don't plate a soft area that bends alot (like a joint) etc.

What you will be struggling with to make anything corpus themed is the helmet. They are very very specific. Have a look at vauban/valkyr to see how they did it.

If we disregard all the words that came out of my mouth there. You're on the right track wiht the design, Don't detail in things to quickly. Do the big shapes first, then detail in later. And watch a lot of blender sculpt tutorials. I dont know how to do what I do in blender only, thankfully i got zbrush so.

Thanks for your input, fredaven.

Looking at the current Warframes and comparing them to Corpus aesthetic, there is very little legroom with what frames can and can't pull it off. From a glance, Ash, Nova, Valkyr, Vauban, and Trinity would have the potential to easily look good in a Corpus theme. However, this doesn't mean that I will limit myself to only those five, and I'll try what I can on other Warframes. I will keep this in mind for future skins, though.

The reason I've picked up Blender is mostly because I don't have the funds to get software that require a license. Since Blender is a free software, I was able to pick up and use it. However, if it is bad for baking, I would be best going with a different program. If there's any alternative software to suggest, feel free to suggest some if you can.

Thank you for those tips that you've given. I haven't used the texture painting tool much, so I will try that. While I don't know if there is an option to split the model into parts in Blender without messing with the UVs, there is a masking tool that can allow me to edit portions of the model, as opposed to the entire model itself.

___

I've tried to sketch some alternate helmets. Again, since my body still aches from the yardwork yesterday, this is probably the most I'll be doing for now.

tumblr_o8f5xkF9PS1ujyzt4o1_540.png

just to be clear. you shouldnt worry about UVs.

What you should be doing (in my view). is create an alternative model of your warframe. you then bake this highpoly weird monstroosty down onto the low poly model.
Making normals etc in the process.

The software I use is;

Blender (for hard surface modeling/splitting models)
zbrush for sculpting
knald for baking
substance painter for texutring
photoshop for fixing S#&$
and sometimes quixel for doing normal details on flat textures.

This is software ive gathered over the years though, so its quite pricey. Blender is really good for modeling. For sculpting organic stuff, I cant say.

Wow, cool ideas! Corpus Mag is bada$$, I am 100% sure Corpus guys will be totally stunned by her XD

Keep it up! :з

P.S. Use xNormal for baking, it's free and cheerful :)

Edited by Lucha

9 hours ago, Lucha said:

Wow, cool ideas! Corpus Mag is bada$$, I am 100% sure Corpus guys will be totally stunned by her XD

Keep it up! :з

P.S. Use xNormal for baking, it's free and cheerful :)

Yeah, they'd absolutely be crushed by her looks!

Ooh, I'm definitely going to try that! Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try it when Corpnyx is done and we'll see how it turns out!

Sorry for not updating this lately. Real life things as well as some concept remakes have been getting in the way. Sometime tonight I'll be getting around to doing another try at the Corpnyx skin, and maybe start on the Corpmag skin.

1 hour ago, MissMarifire said:

I personally prefer the Corpus one over the Sancti Nyx, however I'm sure eventually I may make it. New Loka's good.

New Loka is the craziest, they have the deadliest death squad IMO hehehehe XD

*salute*

On June 1, 2016 at 8:52 PM, MissMarifire said:

Perhaps, perhaps. However, I don't personally know of any that would make them for me as skins, and I don't think any would do it for free. I could always attempt it myself, but I don't have much knowledge on working with textures aside from the basics; this being said, I hope to change this in the future.

You could probably try the guy who does all the Grineer skins like the Gnova and Grost. He looks like he would be a good contact to reach out to for help for CORPUS skins as well.

9 hours ago, WingedCrusade said:

You could probably try the guy who does all the Grineer skins like the Gnova and Grost. He looks like he would be a good contact to reach out to for help for CORPUS skins as well.

Actually, this whole thing was inspired by fredaven's work with their Grineer skins, and they have even posted on this thread (second page, somewhere near the top).

Edited by MissMarifire

Good luck! All of those look extremely badass and awesome :DD

Thanks for your input, fredaven.

Looking at the current Warframes and comparing them to Corpus aesthetic, there is very little legroom with what frames can and can't pull it off. From a glance, Ash, Nova, Valkyr, Vauban, and Trinity would have the potential to easily look good in a Corpus theme. However, this doesn't mean that I will limit myself to only those five, and I'll try what I can on other Warframes. I will keep this in mind for future skins, though.

The reason I've picked up Blender is mostly because I don't have the funds to get software that require a license. Since Blender is a free software, I was able to pick up and use it. However, if it is bad for baking, I would be best going with a different program. If there's any alternative software to suggest, feel free to suggest some if you can.

Thank you for those tips that you've given. I haven't used the texture painting tool much, so I will try that. While I don't know if there is an option to split the model into parts in Blender without messing with the UVs, there is a masking tool that can allow me to edit portions of the model, as opposed to the entire model itself.

___

I've tried to sketch some alternate helmets. Again, since my body still aches from the yardwork yesterday, this is probably the most I'll be doing for now.

tumblr_o8f5xkF9PS1ujyzt4o1_540.png

Love them, though just my input, some of the heads look, despite the quality, extremely small. Meg as an example, could use a slight growth. 

Keep up however! This is genuinely one the best things around.

Edited by Noabettiet

• 1 month later...

Reeeally late bump, been sidetracked with a lot of things, but thankfully just recently I've been able to get back to work on it! There's no way I'll abandon this project of mine, especially with the sheer lack of Corpus-themed items on the Steam Workshop.

So, for now, I've tried my hand at some really basic materials for Corpyx. Absolutely nowhere near done, but I wanted to see how material painting feels in Blender. Still a bit iffy, but I'm getting an okay grip at it:

wwKONgP.png

Also, in an effort to get used to making helmets, I've began work on a fun little Ivara hat my friend Kiwi made. It's nowhere near done, but I'm really digging it so far. (1) (2)

tumblr_oaqnokGdhc1r8w24zo1_1280.png

Edited by MissMarifire

6 hours ago, Espelonia said:

Yesssss. Grineer based skins and now Corpus!! Now we only need Infested based skins and then it's all good!

These are looking good so far. Hope to see more. Please keep it up! :) 

Thank you! I recall Syncrasis doing a few Infested-based cosmetics, specifically a Syandana and Nekros Aux. I could see them potentially making some really neat ones for Ember or something, since her oddly-shaped model would definitely work well with an Infested aesthetic.

I might as well kind of update: 

I have decided that I'll be collaborating with @Ambiroa to work on the Corpnyx skin, having myself do the sculpting and meshwork and Ambiroa doing the texture work, as sort of a learning experience to see what we can learn from one another, and how we can apply what we've learned in future TennoGen projects.

Another thing: I downloaded myself a trial version of ZBrush. It's confusing, but my Corpnyx looks prettier in it. I'll see what I can do about learning the program, though.

wU1p5tz.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 8:17 PM, MissMarifire said:

HELMETS:

Reveal hidden contents

Ivara Pagana Helmet (AKA Test Helmet #1):

Kqdr6on.png

Dat Ivara Helmet doe~ I'd buy that c;
Though any kind of witch-esque looking hat regardles of Warframe would actually go perfect with that Kavat armor which I use.

But anyways keep up the awesome work! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your concepts [be it now or future concepts] up until an awesome 3D model of it (especially the Nyx one you're working on so far, and that Banshee concept, umph<3)! *clicks Follow*
tumblr_nblvkj6CBs1qe0jbao1_400.gif

38 minutes ago, HalfDarkShadow said:

Dat Ivara Helmet doe~ I'd buy that c;
Though any kind of witch-esque looking hat regardles of Warframe would actually go perfect with that Kavat armor which I use.

But anyways keep up the awesome work! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your concepts [be it now or future concepts] up until an awesome 3D model of it (especially the Nyx one you're working on so far, and that Banshee concept, umph<3)! *clicks Follow*
tumblr_nblvkj6CBs1qe0jbao1_400.gif

Thank you! Sadly, the symmetry on that Ivara head is a bit borked, so I'm going to have to remake it entirely (the head itself looks a bit lopsided on the one end, and sculpting with symmetry on is awful on it). i use it too tbh

After the Nyx one, I'll be doing Mag, and afterwards will be Banshee. Since I'm not used to it fully, I'll definitely be making more heads, with one or two of them going further than sculpting stages hopefully.

Edited by MissMarifire