Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About Frost's Bubble

Tonkatunk

Question

peTsM.jpg

So, put up a frost bubble on the objective.  I'm standing on one side of the globe, like outer edge, with a waypoint on the opposite edge.  Waypoint says it's 10m away, meaning a diamter of 10m.  Now, the snow globe radius, according to my skill sheet, is supposed to be 20.  Now, maybe i'm thinking wrong, but isn't that supposed to be 20 meters?  Ice Wave clearly states it's in meters, snow globe doesn't.  Wiki seems to have reliable information about it, that the diameter of the globe is ONLY 10m.  So, since the length of the radius is literally 1/4 of what i expected it to be, i'm just curious if it's like a different unit of measurement, a typo, or what.

Edited by Tonkatunk

24 answers to this question

I think the wiki might be wrong here. It DOES happen, occasionally, and never forget that it's not maintained or even supported by DE. An easy way to test would be to put a waypoint on the floor where the globe comes to, and stand in the center, and see how far the waypoint says it is away. I'll test this myself in a little bit.

16 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

i think the radius is measured from top of the globe to the bottom of it (bottom always seems to go below floors because logic)

I'm just going to say, it looks like a sphere to me, not oblong or ellipse or w/e.  So if i'm thinking right, the measurement from center to any point, will always be the same.

14 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I think the wiki might be wrong here. It DOES happen, occasionally, and never forget that it's not maintained or even supported by DE. An easy way to test would be to put a waypoint on the floor where the globe comes to, and stand in the center, and see how far the waypoint says it is away. I'll test this myself in a little bit.

Yeah, not saying a wiki is 100% reliable, but generally it does have pretty accurate info.  Editing my first post cuz apparently i forgot to say it, i'm standing on the edge of my bubble, and had my waypoint on the opposite side, which it indicates as 10m away.  Which is why i made the thread.

it's 20 Meters. 10 in all directions from the origin Point.
all Range values in Warframe are expressed in Radius normally, therefore the Abilities Menu by default expresses Radius.
however Snowglobe has a Diameter of 20 Meters, not Radius.

14 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

An easy way to test would be to put a waypoint on the floor where the globe comes to, and stand in the center, and see how far the waypoint says it is away. I'll test this myself in a little bit.

just remember to Crouch and then leave ~1-2 Meters margin of error since where your Character is standing is not where it bases the Waypoints off of.

34 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

i think the radius is measured from top of the globe to the bottom of it (bottom always seems to go below floors because logic)

Logically speaking it's the same range as side to side

As long as it passes through the centre, you are getting the diameter/radius

29 minutes ago, (XB1)Oussii said:

why is the health of your globe 9500 only?

Mine is around 17000. FYI

In high level missions many people prefer to use Overextended and not build for very high power strength. Enemies end up doing such extreme damage that the difference between 9K and 17K wouldn't save you anyway.  Instead, they rely on absorb:  your globe is invulnerable and converts absorbed damage into hitpoints for the first 4 seconds after you cast it. So its hitpoints are effectively infinite as long as you continue to cast it while the enemies are shooting at it.  Also:  AOE goes through the globe. If you build for Overextended range, and can cause sources of AOE to explode on the globe instead of inside it (e.g. bombard rockets in the void), then the AOE radius won't reach the players near the center of the globe.

Edited by Momaw

@(XB1)Oussii globe's balanced off power and armor, if you have higher armor as well as high power, more health.

@taiiat see my first post again.  I set a waypoint on one end, and stood on the opposite end of the globe, it measured a diameter of 10m, while my skill sheet claimed a radius of 20m.  You're saying my diameter should have been 20m, not my radius, right?  In which case, i'm still curious as to why it's 1/2 of what you seem to expect, since you make it sound like it's not a typo or some mistake.

Edited by Tonkatunk

10 hours ago, Tonkatunk said:

peTsM.jpg

So, put up a frost bubble on the objective.  I'm standing on one side of the globe, like outer edge, with a waypoint on the opposite edge.  Waypoint says it's 10m away, meaning a diamter of 10m.  Now, the snow globe radius, according to my skill sheet, is supposed to be 20.  Now, maybe i'm thinking wrong, but isn't that supposed to be 20 meters?  Ice Wave clearly states it's in meters, snow globe doesn't.  Wiki seems to have reliable information about it, that the diameter of the globe is ONLY 10m.  So, since the length of the radius is literally 1/4 of what i expected it to be, i'm just curious if it's like a different unit of measurement, a typo, or what.

Great question!  If the radius of the globe is 20 meters as advertised, then the Diameter of the globe would be 40 meters.   You are measuring 10 meters as the diameter and it looks like you are measuring correctly too.  Something is definitely not right.  From the picture, the actual radius of the globe is 5 meters.   So maybe the 20 meters listed in the ability display is before your modifiers?  Have you tried adding things like stretch to see if the Radius number displayed changes?

14 minutes ago, Tonkatunk said:

@(PS4)lupowolfen

pftaH.jpg

Yes, i can change the radius.  As for blue numbers, i assume that's just to indicate your value is at the default value and nothing else.

Ok so here is another clue.   Your display says 47 meter radius and you are measuring a 24m diameter.  24 is basically half of 47.  I think the display is just wrong. For instance in this case it should say 12 meter radius.  So with your two examples, it looks like you can take what the display says, divide by 4 and get the actual globe radius.   I think you've found a bug with the display. 

5 hours ago, (PS4)lupowolfen said:

I think you've found a bug with the display. 

or.... what i already explained.

18 hours ago, taiiat said:

all Range values in Warframe are expressed in Radius normally, therefore the Abilities Menu by default expresses Radius.

same UI Menu for all Abilities, the value represented for Snowglobe is the more practical number to show, however every single other Ability displays based on Radius, so Snowglobe is just the odd duck out. don't expect the UI for Abilities Menu to change just for one of the many Abilities, even if it is a bit confusing.

see also:

ujj8OMS.png

USLyqus.png

Edited by taiiat

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

19 hours ago, taiiat said:

but the diameter is half of what the skill sheet says still, while claiming radius.  So wouldn't it be better to tweak it have the number show 1/2 of the original number, and change the word radius on that skill to diameter?  Or simply cut the number to 1/4 and it'd be radius.  Unless it's some other unit of measurement besides meters, which i'd like to know what it is.

Edited by Tonkatunk

21 hours ago, taiiat said:

it's 20 Meters. 10 in all directions from the origin Point.

But this theory does not work.  For it to work you would need to measure the diameter of the globe at 20 meters (per your last sentence above).  But you measured a diameter of 10 meters.  

Testing in the sim room confirms: the stated range on the abilities page is incorrect. My bubble has a 29m radius according to the ability page, but in reality the diameter is 15m, so that the real radius is about 7.5m. The values on the abilities page are off by a factor of 4. I wonder if this effects any other abilites?

6 hours ago, taiiat said:

No. Read the thread more carefully. globes that should have a radius of 20m have a radius of 5m. Even if the number shown on the abilities page is really diameter, it's off by a factor of 2. Posting links to the definition of diameter is completely unhelpful. There's clearly a bug in the abilities page.

21 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Even if the number shown on the abilities page is really diameter, it's off by a factor of 2.

been that way since the Warframe was released. all UI reports for the Ability have always had inaccurate Range.

7 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Testing in the sim room confirms: the stated range on the abilities page is incorrect. My bubble has a 29m radius according to the ability page, but in reality the diameter is 15m, so that the real radius is about 7.5m. The values on the abilities page are off by a factor of 4. I wonder if this effects any other abilites?

No. Read the thread more carefully. globes that should have a radius of 20m have a radius of 5m. Even if the number shown on the abilities page is really diameter, it's off by a factor of 2. Posting links to the definition of diameter is completely unhelpful. There's clearly a bug in the abilities page.

Yep I agree. Its a bug and the abilities page listed size is off by a factor of 4 from the actual globe size.

2 hours ago, AhkNemet said:

Currently stacking the globe will result in the globe shrinking to its default (while client, idk about host). Single cast will present at the size your globe is supposed to be.

I have never seen this, or heard of it. I have recently stacked globes and not noticed any shrinkage, and my build uses 145 range.

Regardless, OP's globe range number was blue, meaning it had the default range. So this would not have affected it. My own test used an un-stacked globe which had a larger-than-default radius, and that radius was still 1/4 the size the abilities page listed.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say this has nothing to do with it, whether it's actually a thing or not.

6 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I have never seen this, or heard of it. I have recently stacked globes and not noticed any shrinkage, and my build uses 145 range.

Regardless, OP's globe range number was blue, meaning it had the default range. So this would not have affected it. My own test used an un-stacked globe which had a larger-than-default radius, and that radius was still 1/4 the size the abilities page listed.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say this has nothing to do with it, whether it's actually a thing or not.

Maybe its cos I use an exilus to push it to 160%. Either way, was worth a mention.