Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Came BEFORE Star-Chart 1.0?

Kappatalist

All complaining about the current mission map and hyping for the new one aside, any of you remember the original Star Chart? Yeah, that galactic game of connect-the-dots we used to play to get from one place to another? Here's the thing: looking through the old CB patch notes, the first incarnation of Star Chart 1.0 (before we could even pan it around, etc.) only came out in Update 5.0. So... what came before that? It was a big enough change moving to the Star Chart to warrant a global account reset, so I can only imagine that its predecessor was hugely different. Thing is, though, I've not found any footage whatsoever of the game from before Update 5.0 (or if it was, it was strictly only gameplay, with no view of the menus or mission structure, etc.), and I wasn't there for Closed Beta, so I missed out.

I suspect it has to do with whatever NDA the Closed Beta players were under, and maybe even talking about it now is a no-go, but - is there any record of, I guess, Star Chart Zero-Point-Oh? Or at least any CB players who remember what it was like? A discussion of it now, possibly including some documentation of it, would offer some insight into the earliest builds of Warframe - because as it stands now, that documentation doesn't seem to exist whatsoever outside of patch notes, speculation, and anecdotes.

From what I have heard you would get 4 or so mission cards each of which would  have a different  mission on them, the card would have the type, level, and quality drops on the mission. The interesting thing about the that system is that you could combine mission cards so you could get sabotage  rescue missions or exterminate  assassination missions. Also you have to use up all 4 cards you got before you could get more.

We MUST know now! I am curious beyond measure! This is the truth of the Origin System! The core of the Orokin glory! Their greatest secrets are hitting within this mystery! 

But really... this is now gnawing at my mind... if we didn't have any sort of "star chart" system then how did we go from mission to mission? Maybe it was before the idea of planets since back then I believe the game had only one tileset with far less rooms: the corpus ship. Essentially there was no need for a star chart since you only had one map and three or so game modes... I'd also like to assume that back then the game was not always online, but in a "closed alpha" state where DE released a client for limited use to test out certain aspects of the game for a few days before taking the servers down, breaking the client apart and remaking it based on the feedback, then repeating with the new and imporved client, basically. 

I think that back then, the game didn't have a chart at all. At best some buttons to choose one of a very few game types. 

Edited by Lakais

28 minutes ago, Neo3602 said:

From what I have heard you would get 4 or so mission cards each of which would  have a different  mission on them, the card would have the type, level, and quality drops on the mission. The interesting thing about the that system is that you could combine mission cards so you could get sabotage  rescue missions or exterminate  assassination missions. Also you have to use up all 4 cards you got before you could get more.

we need combined mission modes. that would be the best, Warframe needs more dynamic missions.

3 minutes ago, Implodingbanana said:

we need combined mission modes. that would be the best, Warframe needs more dynamic missions.

"Assassination target has been eliminated. We can't have any witnesses of what has happened here today. Eliminate everyone."

IMAGINE.

The Evolution of the "Star Chart"

Cards (super placeholder) -> Lines with Dots (Star Chart) -> Reorganized Lines with Dots -> Chunks of Circles (Star Chart 2.0) -> Lines with Dots (maybe fewer dots)

Edited by Brasten

48 minutes ago, Implodingbanana said:

I had the idea for a Hijack/Defense combination although the way I had it would require a squad and could be more interesting as a Tactical Alert (or part of an Event) with a cinematic. This is what I had:

Spoiler

3. Hijack/Defense - This one would require some communication and decisions on whether to do a 2/2 or 3/1 team split depending on individual capabilities. At this one you would arrive at the cryopod and decide how to split. One or more would stay at the cryopod and defend it against enemies while the rest of the squad sprinted to find a Corpus transport vehicle to Hijack. The 2 teams would rejoin with the vechicle and the cryopod would be loaded and transported to the extraction site.

I'm sure there are others that could be done and that I could post, but I just wanted to get the idea out there as a possibility. I'm going to give an example of a battle "story" here using Hijack/Defense + Exterminate. This would hopefully be integrated with cinematics as the U18 quest is supposed to have to properly show what's going on aside from transmissions.

Spoiler

Lotus has received a report that a cryopod has been discovered on the icy planet of Europa and that a battle between the Corpus and Grineer has broken out around it. The Tenno are tasked with protecting and retrieving it. Upon landing safely on the outskirts of the battle the Tenno fight there way to the cryopod where the heaviest fighting is taking place. Some Tenno stay with the cryopod while the remainder run off to find a way of transporting it away with them. The leaders of the Grineer and Corpus take notice of this new threat to their prize and begin to focus their efforts on the Tenno instead of each other, but before the fighting becomes too intense the other team returns with a Corpus transport capable of carrying the pod.

Lotus responds, "Bring the cryopod to the extraction point. I will meet you there."

The Tenno begin loading the pod, but one of the enemy commanders (Grineer or Corpus) desperate to stop them fires off a powerful shot that misses the Tenno, but hits a critical component of the pod. The Tenno then begin their escape towards extraction.

Upon reaching the designated meeting place with enemies closing the distance behind them, an unmistakable ship (something that would noticeably belong to the Lotus) appears, lands, and extends a boarding ramp. The Lotus herself walks down to meet them. She comes over to check on the crypod's occupant and that's when the rescue party and the Lotus notice that the cryopod has been compromised by a (Grineer/Corpus) weapon and the Tenno within has had his/her life force drained beyond return. The Lotus angrily grips the railing of the cryopod until her knuckles are white.

She looks up at the enemies rushing down at them and icily says, "Kill them all." (If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!)

The Tenno at her side nod in compliance and sprint out to meet the enemy with their blades glinting in the sunlight and the snow about to be dyed red.

32 minutes ago, Maicael said:

I had the idea for a Hijack/Defense combination although the way I had it would require a squad and could be more interesting as a Tactical Alert (or part of an Event) with a cinematic. This is what I had:

-snip-

This type of objective ABSOLUTELY MUST be part of the next Trial they add to the game.

Edited by Kappatalist

I really miss Starchart 1.0 with the graphic of the solar system planets orbiting at different speeds around the sun and then connected webbed out pattern of mission nodes around the planets.  It fired p my imagination as it looked more like a real solar system should look. 

To the OP's question:  I have no idea what came before star chart 1.0.

Edited by (PS4)lupowolfen

3 hours ago, Maicael said:

Hide contents

3. Hijack/Defense - This one would require some communication and decisions on whether to do a 2/2 or 3/1 team split depending on individual capabilities. At this one you would arrive at the cryopod and decide how to split. One or more would stay at the cryopod and defend it against enemies while the rest of the squad sprinted to find a Corpus transport vehicle to Hijack. The 2 teams would rejoin with the vechicle and the cryopod would be loaded and transported to the extraction site.

I'm sure there are others that could be done and that I could post, but I just wanted to get the idea out there as a possibility. I'm going to give an example of a battle "story" here using Hijack/Defense + Exterminate. This would hopefully be integrated with cinematics as the U18 quest is supposed to have to properly show what's going on aside from transmissions.

Hide contents

Lotus has received a report that a cryopod has been discovered on the icy planet of Europa and that a battle between the Corpus and Grineer has broken out around it. The Tenno are tasked with protecting and retrieving it. Upon landing safely on the outskirts of the battle the Tenno fight there way to the cryopod where the heaviest fighting is taking place. Some Tenno stay with the cryopod while the remainder run off to find a way of transporting it away with them. The leaders of the Grineer and Corpus take notice of this new threat to their prize and begin to focus their efforts on the Tenno instead of each other, but before the fighting becomes too intense the other team returns with a Corpus transport capable of carrying the pod.

Lotus responds, "Bring the cryopod to the extraction point. I will meet you there."

The Tenno begin loading the pod, but one of the enemy commanders (Grineer or Corpus) desperate to stop them fires off a powerful shot that misses the Tenno, but hits a critical component of the pod. The Tenno then begin their escape towards extraction.

Upon reaching the designated meeting place with enemies closing the distance behind them, an unmistakable ship (something that would noticeably belong to the Lotus) appears, lands, and extends a boarding ramp. The Lotus herself walks down to meet them. She comes over to check on the crypod's occupant and that's when the rescue party and the Lotus notice that the cryopod has been compromised by a (Grineer/Corpus) weapon and the Tenno within has had his/her life force drained beyond return. The Lotus angrily grips the railing of the cryopod until her knuckles are white.

She looks up at the enemies rushing down at them and icily says, "Kill them all." (If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!)

The Tenno at her side nod in compliance and sprint out to meet the enemy with their blades glinting in the sunlight and the snow about to be dyed red.

I would love that as a quest! but did we ever find out what was in those cryopods we would always protect? it seems like warframes were sealed away in special rooms such as the one seen during the tutorial. and

(second dream stuff, spoiler just in case)

Spoiler

Operators were sealed away on the moon.