Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Primed Pressure Point Worth it?

Sweaty_Pleb

Question

I'm currently away on vacation so when I get back I'll probably end up buying a Max PPP, I've seen a couple videos saying that it doesn't add enough damage over its non primed variant, but I've also seen people saying it does add noticeable damage so my question is, is it worth it? 

16 answers to this question

Well let just say this...if it ever DOES become a noticeable difference, would you rather spend a couple plat and get it now? or wait until after it becomes more noticeable or becomes more scarce on the market which is when the price will increase.

So Id suggest get it, hold onto it, and rank it up if you feel like it.

Edited by rawr1254

1 minute ago, rawr1254 said:

Well let just say this...if it ever DOES become a noticeable difference, would you rather spend a couple plat and get it now? or wait until after it becomes more noticeable or becomes more scare on the market which is when the price will increase.

So Id suggest get it, hold onto it, and rank it up if you feel like it         

Yeah that's what I was thinking, so I'll probably get it since hopefully they'll do what the did with primed pistol gambit 

I would say it's pretty similar to primed point blank or primed flow. Maybe a bit more since you can use it on every melee weapon.

I personally would never trade for a primed mod and certainly not for a maxed one. The level range where you notice the difference is pretty small. Lower and you oneshot anyway and higher other stuff is more relevant like status procs and having bloodrush/bodycount. You can always use non primed mods and I would rather run around with a rank 8 mod than spend a lot of plat for maxing it.

Just my personal opinion tho. If you played the game for a while and there isn't a lot to get for you it might be worth it.

Nowadays I find myself either using guns with a covert lethality dagger for melee utility and interrupts or a crit weapon with a blood rush + body count build for melee. Neither really NEEDS a PPP. In fact my favorite dagger is Dark Dagger and I didn't even have regular Pressure Point on the thing. Swapped it out for the augment to get more status chance for poking things that don't want to let me reload.

The only time I expect it to be meaningful is with frames that use melee mods. So I guess that's my answer. 

If you use frames that take into account melee mods then, yes. If you don't then, no.

Edited by VKhaun

• All weapons start out doing a base of 100% damage.
  • Adding Pressure Point adds 120%, making their final damage 220%.
  • Adding Primed Pressure Point adds 165%, making their final damage damage 265%.

This means that, relative to Pressure Point, the primed version adds an additional 45% of base damage, or,  ~20% of final damage.  Now, adding 20% of final damage isn't going to turn your Ether Sword into a Nikana Prime; it's not enough to take mediocre weapons and make them top shelf. But it's very definitely "more damage". Because forma is a thing, the most valuable thing in modding tends to be SLOTS more than points, and it definitely gives you more damage in the same single slot, so...

Is it worth it? Really the question is, what else could you be spending 500 rare fusion cores at 1.7 mil credits on.  If you had to choose between this and something like Primed Heated Charge, then take the Heated Charge. But if you have a pile of fusion cores building up, and you use your melee to kill things like, ever, then....sure.

Addendum 1, VKHaun brings up a good point that if all you're using your melee for is Covert Lethality then don't bother, because CL doesn't care.

Addendum 2, If you aren't going to max it, then don't bother. This isn't a primed mod that scales nicely, it is literally worse than pressure point up until rank 9.

Edited by Momaw

The arsenal shows that my Boltace's spin attack gains around 800 damage per hit with Primed Pressure Point over regular.

Knowing of its superior spin attack, my Boltace is speced to capitalize on that with Organ Shatter and Maiming Strike. With a 2.8 crit multiplier, that 800 extra damage per hit becomes 2,200.

That's 10,869.9~ regular, and 13,088.6 with Primed.

Add in multipliers to damage from powers and the difference becomes even greater.

Since Body Count and stance combo multipliers are things, it really doesn't need to have that huge of a bonus over the regular mod.

For example, Broken War's base (100%) damage is 90. Add Pressure Point, and it jumps to 220% of that, which is 198. Primed Pressure Point increases damage to 265%, which is 238.5. If a Broken War with no mods on it other than Pressure Point gets to a 2.0 combo multiplier, its raw damage output is 396 per swing. If the same Broken War used Primed Pressure Point instead, it would deal 477 damage per swing. Since elemental mods further scale off of straight damage mods, and since all forms of multipliers (mod, stance combo, hit combo, and crit) stack, the actual damage output will be significantly improved even if the mod's listed increase doesn't seem impressive at first. The initial 40 more points of base damage in this case will quickly turn to 60, 80, 100, and so on with counter multipliers alone, and the difference will become even larger if crits are involved.

Edit: Did not know what Primed Pressure Point maxed at, so the damage calculations were actually lower than they should have been.

Edited by Dreddeth
Math error

My biggest hang up, they mentioned they want to do away with the "mandatory mods" and bake scaling damage into the weapons. If that is going to happen in the next few months, it really is "wasted" given how strong melee weapons are right now. I don't have the time to farm ducats regularly let alone enough for multiple purchases, so I didn't pick it up on the PC and won't be doing so on XBOX unless they completely scrap the idea between now and then.

It's more damage. In a game that revolves around combat, more damage is progression.

So, yes, it's worth it.

Now whether you can practically afford it is another matter. But if you have the means, it's most definitely worth it.

Lastly, I don't even begin to give an impulse towards bodily elimination over what may or may not happen to so-called mandatory mods. Right now, the game you're playing right now, it's progression. Period. What happens later will be dealt with when it happens--and Damage3.0/Weapons2.0 is not a serious issue yet. DE has their hands full with the bits and bobs of U19.

To sum up, yes, it's worth it.

No, no it's not worth it.

1) Powercreep

2) This is a joke of a prime mod that is weaker than the normal variant at equal level. Even at max rank, which requires hundreds of ducats and rare cores, the increase over normal PP is a meager 45%. Shadow Debts mods, or even something as simple as Rhino's Roar can achieve a lot more in terms of damage than this - again, prime - mod.

3) As someone here said, any melee weapon that does the job without this mod doesn't need it, and any weapon that is too weak for endgame won't be saved by this mod.

4) Damage will be reworked soon enough.

I'm going through every single melee weapon in my arsenal and adding it to it because I'm a completionist. Which is an arduous process as I have every single melee weapon currently available in the game (besides that 300 day reward, hoo boy) and it's going to get more taxing when syndicate weapons drop.

If you use melee or melee oriented frames, yes absolutely get this. If you don't then it's no big deal.

1 hour ago, (PS4)RedChili69 said:

Try it for yourself, then decide for yourself. People's opinion are just that, their opinion.

It's not a matter of opinion and there is no debate: it IS more damage. That makes it better for melee weapons right now.

Whether it's worth it to you with all the time and expense involved in it is another question and one only you can answer.