Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno Talk: Warframe Origins

Vidsurfer555

The big reveal of the second dream quest is without doubt one of the most impacting things that has ever happened in the game. Now that it has been several months since its release and I now feel at ease to talk about its implications it has to the lore of Warframe.

What is the inspiration of the Warframe?

We all know from the second dream that the warframes are basically conduits that channel the tenno's vast powers and that they are built by the orokin to weaponize the tenno against the sentients. We also know that the tenno are using the method called transference to control the warframes and that the tenno are basically children. So it made me postulate that the inspiration for the warframes come from cartoons that the tenno watch when they were in a secured facility where ""transference is being developed. The cartoons themselves could be specially made for them or your regular programs that the orokin children normaly watch. These were used on the tenno to ease them in the "transference" process to make them believe that they are the person in those cartoons 

Thoughts anyone?  

Also pls like post 

Edited by Vidsurfer555

I think that concept is in itself really childish to fit in the lore, and also, that the Orokin, knowing how not sweet and caring they were for the Tenno, were probably not gonna waste time in making cartoons for beings that they considered as monsters.

It's a nice theory... but a very childish and innocent one for this kind of lore....

On 7/3/2016 at 2:53 AM, Railgun_Alter said:

I think that concept is in itself really childish to fit in the lore, and also, that the Orokin, knowing how not sweet and caring they were for the Tenno, were probably not gonna waste time in making cartoons for beings that they considered as monsters.

It is precisely they needed to create the cartoons to condition the tenno to put on the the warframes (shackles) easily. Plus the tenno are powerful to destroy the orokin even with out the warframes. 

You just went over what I said like you didn't even read it....

I could give a lot of arguments as to why this cannot fit in the lore, but it's 4:20 AM and I don't even know what I'm doing up.

Just think about this. For the Orokin, highly advanced and practical beings...
What is it more effecient?

Creating cartoons (Do you have any idea how many work goes into making a single episode of ny kind of cartoon?) for kids they don't give a Clem about other than things to be used.

OR

Just putting the brats to sleep and manipulate their dreams?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/nick-cage-lol.gif

no, really? cartoons? from all the things? why you automaticaly relate cartoons with pretty longlived kids? (because if you didnt know, orokin lived like the asari from mass effect, very long lives with slow physical maturement) i dont even...

anyways, warframes are inspired (in appareance) from old earth myths / animals / primal forces, etc.like most of the things these days. what is inside the warframes, well...those are failed experiments (not infested) who by accident resulted on being compatible with the tenno minds; making them perfect puppets for complementing the tenno lack of usefullness in their dreams

monsters being the arms of defenseless dreamers.

or like one the executors on the second dream quest said :

gods, possesed by devil minds

2 hours ago, Toppien said:

or like one the executors on the second dream quest said :

gods, possesed by devil minds

Not quite. Ballas' exact quote was:

"These aren't Dax soldiers...these are golems, possessed by devil minds"

As for the matter at hand...For the most part the general dialogue and discussion of the Tenno outlines a situation where their very humanity is dismissed. Seeing as the Orokin are pretty starkly anthropocentric, looking down on that which isn't human (Grineer, Lorists, Tenno, likely the Sentient), anything falling in those groups that displeases them sure isn't going to get fair treatment.

Fact is, why Ballas didn't seize the opportunity to destroy the Tenno once the Executors disposed of Margulis remains something of a mystery. Though I suppose in a 'strapped for resources' scenario as outlined in the Crewman Synthesis, they perhaps voted in a 'waste not' capacity till they could find a use. Cue the Rhino Prime Codex and all the pieces falling from there.

Whatever kindness or respect the Tenno had up to then died with Margulis, one way or the other.

47 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

As for the matter at hand...For the most part the general dialogue and discussion of the Tenno outlines a situation where their very humanity is dismissed. Seeing as the Orokin are pretty starkly anthropocentric, looking down on that which isn't human (Grineer, Lorists, Tenno, likely the Sentient), anything falling in those groups that displeases them sure isn't going to get fair treatment.

Fact is, why Ballas didn't seize the opportunity to destroy the Tenno once the Executors disposed of Margulis remains something of a mystery. Though I suppose in a 'strapped for resources' scenario as outlined in the Crewman Synthesis, they perhaps voted in a 'waste not' capacity till they could find a use. Cue the Rhino Prime Codex and all the pieces falling from there.

Whatever kindness or respect the Tenno had up to then died with Margulis, one way or the other.

I submit that Ballas was a creepy dude.

Watch the Saryn Prime release video again, the one with Ballas' voiceover.

So, listen to how Ballas talks about the Tenno. A field of flowers, grown from Margulis' ashes. Conceived by him, Ballas. Does he think of them as the symbolic children that and Margulis perhaps never had? Germinated for deadly purpose. In other words, designed and deployed, not loved. 

Ballas never spoke with fondness, only pride, pride in his own work. He designed Saryn. Presumably he designed this Warframe in the shape of a very curvaceous woman. Remember that the Warframe was being inhabited by the consciousness of a comatose adolescent, or even a child, that Ballas knew that, still designed Saryn, still deployed her.

Ballas is a creep.

4 hours ago, Blakrana said:

you even listen? if you play the voice clip it clearly says gods, not golems, the subtitles are wrong

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/9/90/BallasSecDre6.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20151224214856

as for the rest, i agree

but, listening to all the clips made me think, the council of the seven executors from the begining where planning on using the tenno as a weapon, Margoulis refused then they executed her (XD) and the tenno ended militarized by ballas idea, probably Margoulis wanted them to live closer to normal lifes with the use of transference

Edited by Toppien

17 minutes ago, Toppien said:

you even listen? if you play the voice clip it clearly says gods, not golems, the subtitles are wrong

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/9/90/BallasSecDre6.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20151224214856

as for the rest, i agree

but, listening to all the clips made me think, the council of the seven executors from the begining where planning on using the tenno as a weapon, Margoulis refused then they executed her (XD) and the tenno ended militarized by ballas idea, probably Margoulis wanted them to live closer to normal lifes with the use of transference

OMG. 

Toppien. You genius.

You just got us a way to interact with civilians.

Ok, so, the stated reason for Tenno avoiding civilian colonies is that if a Warframe is seen there, it will bring immediate reprisals upon the colony, that the Grineer will kill them all for harbouring a Tenno. They won't do that if there's no way for them to know that a Tenno has been there. What if we one day have a quest which involves plumbing the archives to find Margulis' first designs of what I'm gonna go ahead and call a Peaceframe, a demilitarised Warframe-equivalent, designed to look as human as possible? It would open the door to a new kind of mission, one with civilians around, one where our remote model is a relatively fragile cyborg which can pass for human. It could be a true stealth/infiltrate mission, one where you really want to avoid combat at all costs. One where your weapon loadout is limited to Secondaries and Dagger/Dual Dagger melee weapons, a mission where you can 'stealth' by just being inconspicuous. If anyone sees you do something like jump twenty feet straight up, your cover is blown.

That would be amazing.

3 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

would open the door to a new kind of mission, one with civilians around, one where our remote model is a relatively fragile cyborg which can pass for human. It could be a true stealth/infiltrate mission, one where you really want to avoid combat at all costs. One where your weapon loadout is limited to Secondaries and Dagger/Dual Dagger melee weapons, a mission where you can 'stealth' by just being inconspicuous.

Nobody suspects an Ayah

Still...it does over all seem reasonable that whatever Margulis' original intentions, it wasn't what the Warframe project became.

4 hours ago, Toppien said:

as for the rest, i agree

He said golems what are you smoking?

Even in the subtitles in game he said golems.

10 hours ago, Aroxian said:

He said golems what are you smoking?

Even in the subtitles in game he said golems.

ok i listened...again...the sound clip, yes he says golems, the echos were making it sound like gods...

or maybe indeed it was the stuff i was smoking, who knows =P

22 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I submit that Ballas was a creepy dude.

Watch the Saryn Prime release video again, the one with Ballas' voiceover.

So, listen to how Ballas talks about the Tenno. A field of flowers, grown from Margulis' ashes. Conceived by him, Ballas. Does he think of them as the symbolic children that and Margulis perhaps never had? Germinated for deadly purpose. In other words, designed and deployed, not loved. 

Ballas never spoke with fondness, only pride, pride in his own work. He designed Saryn. Presumably he designed this Warframe in the shape of a very curvaceous woman. Remember that the Warframe was being inhabited by the consciousness of a comatose adolescent, or even a child, that Ballas knew that, still designed Saryn, still deployed her.

Ballas is a creep.

Not really. I think we can safely say that Warframes don't represent Tenno, so it's possible for a male Tenno to operate a female Warframe. I think it's more likely that Saryn was made to resemble Margulis.