Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Limbo's Rift is in the void, has void energy or the ability description has inconsistency?

Zeyez

Question

based on what GustavoErig (he deserve some credits for that question) asked to me few minutes ago in-game, while asking about many things, like lore and mechanics:

someone know what is the type of the Limbo's power? because every other warframe has something attached to it, like:

Frost - Ice

Inaros - Sand

Nova - Anti matter

Banshee - Sound

why asking that? because of the description of the Rift in some places, like Rift Surge and Cataclysm suggest that he can manipulate the void energy by itself

that doesn't mean that he was supposed to be an kind of anti-sentient warframe?

considering that he will be the next of the rework's list, maybe pointing about it can be interesting for the developers

edit:

in few words: the Limbo abilities wasn't supposed to be the weakness of the Sentients? because, you know... Sentient... void energy... unable to adapt against damage while in the Rift...

edit2:

don't you think that the description of the Rift Surge and Cataclysm was supposed to be an little different, just by not saying that Limbo wasn't using void energy directly? or the Sentients was supposed to be weakened because of it?

edit3: changed the title from "An question about Limbo's power type" to "The Limbo's Rift is in the void, has void energy or the ability description has inconsistency?"

Edited by Zeyez
sorry for many edits... even the title changed >_<'

18 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Zeyez said:

that doesn't mean that he was supposed to be an kind of anti-sentient warframe?

All frames are anti-sentient.

As for Limbo - as it's been said, Limbo is the "dimensional" frame. Except he does not manipualte a pocket dimension, but rather playes around with planes and "layers" of reality.

I believe Limbo power is teleportation, but used in a very original manner, the Rift is a dimension that connects the Void and the Origin system and helps Limbo travel distances, like the one that destroy him in his quest. The rift is kind of a wormhole as it connects to different dimensions, is just that this dimensions overlap and when Limbo is inside the Rift he is in the middle of traveling between origin system and the void, so he goes into a semi-existant state, that is why he can be seen but not touch. And he uses void energy like all other warframes is just that he brings it directly into the Rift to harm enemies (rift surge).

1 minute ago, VisionAndVoice said:

All frames are anti-sentient.

As for Limbo - as it's been said, Limbo is the "dimensional" frame. Except he does not manipualte a pocket dimension, but rather playes around with planes and "layers" of reality.

i know about his backstory, but what intrigues me right now is about the descriptions on the abilities that said he use void energy directly

"Rift Surge: surge the void energy throught the rift plane..."

"Catacysm: an violent blast of void energy tear open an pocket of the rift plane..."

i thought that he was supposed to, at least, make the sentients unable to adapt against damage while inside the rift, based on that assumption, like what's happen when we use the tenno's beam on second dream

don't you share anything about that thought?

1 minute ago, Zeyez said:

i know about his backstory, but what intrigues me right now is about the descriptions on the abilities that said he use void energy directly

"Catacysm: an violent blast of void energy tear open an pocket of the rift plane..."

i thought that he was supposed to, at least, make the sentients unable to adapt against damage while inside the rift, based on that assumption, like what's happen when we use the tenno's beam on second dream

thats intresting and adds another layer to limbo's unique uses 

13 minutes ago, Zeyez said:

Kinda. A Limbo can easily kill Sentients using Rift Surge, especially if his weapon is good enough. I almost always kill a Sentient in the rift when playing with Limbo in the moon.

2 minutes ago, Jangkrik said:

Kinda. A Limbo can easily kill Sentients using Rift Surge, especially if his weapon is good enough. I almost always kill a Sentient in the rift when playing with Limbo in the moon.

but you kill because of the Rift Surge's damage buff, but he still can adapt against damage, even inside the void, isn't?

It's a small inconsistency that I am questioning right now: the fact about the void energy, in the rift, isn't doing anything against the Sentient

don't you think that the description was supposed to be an little different, just by not saying that Limbo wasn't using void energy directly? or the Sentients was supposed to be weakened because of it? that's the main question of the topic

5 minutes ago, Zeyez said:

It's a small inconsistency that I am questioning right now: the fact about the void energy, in the rift, isn't doing anything against the Sentient

They have only ever said that the void is poison to them, not that it hampers their abilities, the only thing that happened to Natah was that she became sterile. Also the Rift is not the Void, it is a different dimension in which Limbo brings a bit of void energy, probably not enough to destroy sentients by itself.

11 minutes ago, Zeyez said:

but you kill because of the Rift Surge's damage buff, but he still can adapt against damage, even inside the void, isn't?

don't you think that the description was supposed to be an little different, just by not saying that Limbo wasn't using void energy directly? or the Sentients was supposed to be weakened because of it? that's the main question of the topic

I think the Sentients receive full damage from raw Warframe powers (like Limbo's cataclysm) because they can't adapt to damages from void energy (no damage type). This is consistent to the fact that the Void energy is poison to the Sentients (Second Dream).

The only problem is the lack of ability scaling in the game, so the Sentients aren't killed as easily as we hear from the stories (Tenno beat the Sentients etc). If we have scaling abilities, Limbo's Cataclysm might be dealing 1000 damage to a normal Sentient in Plato, Earth.

I imagine that during the Old War, the Sentients sent to the rift by Limbo received massive damage (the same thing that happens to the enemies when you cast a cataclysm in mid level missions like in Saturn) instead of the almost nonexistent damage when you cast it to a level 35 Conculyst.

Edited by Jangkrik

"Void energy is poison to them."

It's harmful but not instantly deadly, otherwise during the occasional rescue mission on the moon, you'd never encounter a still-functioning Sentient in one of the containment cells. Unless I completely misunderstand, I've been certain that Orokin teleportation and portal technology (which the Corpus and even Grineer have reverse engineered) utilizes movement through the void for a brief period of time. Brief enough, that it doesn't kill the Sentient that now finds itself confined.

I imagine that the void jump the Sentients took to make it to the Origin system made them sterile, and that this was the ultimate fail safe against them; to ensure that they could not reproduce or self replicate. A process which is likely similar to their repair functionality. Otherwise, their ability to adapt to damage would be staggering and they could also likely regenerate health.

This could explain why they could only be defeated in the Origin system. After their journey here, they were weakened enough to be destroyed. I think that the Orokin had unwittingly made the rest of this galaxy uninhabitable for human life. If we should ever leave our home system, I shudder to think what new monstrosities our forebears may have birthed.

Edited by FLSH_BNG

8 hours ago, Zeyez said:

It's not an inconsistency because the Rift is not the Void. When you're in the Rift it's better to say that you're "phased out" relatively to your surroundings, existing on a different "wavelength". Rift Surge is (the way i see it) in this case putting adjusting "wavelength" of your weapons slightly into a less stable state where they inflict more damage.

Forgive me for bringing 40k into this, but to put it simply, Void is Warp, and Limbo is a Necron Wraith, or Deathmark.

Also, for the record, damage from Banish and Cataclysm has a type, it's Impact and Impact/Blast.

Edited by VisionAndVoice

3 hours ago, ArcusVeles said:

I'm actually pretty sure the Rift is different and separate from the Void.  Case in point, I don't get a free 2 energy per second while in the Void.

the orokin towers aren't directly affected by the void energy, they only use it to hide the towers (or everything that isn't tenno was supposed to suffer its side effects), like what's happened to the orokin moon until the Second Dream, plus there's something about the corpus ship hiding in the void on the Arid Fear event (the event that brought Phobos), because on that ship, our warframes earn 25 energy every 30 seconds, like what's happen while we are in rift (2 energy per second) and the Sortie modifier called "Energy Reduction", that state there's something intefering with the void energy, reducing our maximum energy amount and natural regeneration

if this statements doesn't prove that the Rift is in the void, what is this?

10 hours ago, FLSH_BNG said:

"Void energy is poison to them."

It's harmful but not instantly deadly, otherwise during the occasional rescue mission on the moon, you'd never encounter a still-functioning Sentient in one of the containment cells. Unless I completely misunderstand, I've been certain that Orokin teleportation and portal technology (which the Corpus and even Grineer have reverse engineered) utilizes movement through the void for a brief period of time. Brief enough, that it doesn't kill the Sentient that now finds itself confined.

I imagine that the void jump the Sentients took to make it to the Origin system made them sterile, and that this was the ultimate fail safe against them; to ensure that they could not reproduce or self replicate. A process which is likely similar to their repair functionality. Otherwise, their ability to adapt to damage would be staggering and they could also likely regenerate health.

This could explain why they could only be defeated in the Origin system. After their journey here, they were weakened enough to be destroyed. I think that the Orokin had unwittingly made the rest of this galaxy uninhabitable for human life. If we should ever leave our home system, I shudder to think what new monstrosities our forebears may have birthed.

I do not think they are so resilient to the energy void only be able to leave them sterile and weakened enough to be killed with our weapons/warframes, its fragments fall so quickly against the tenno's beam and can't adapt against it, sure, since Hunhow is big and older, probably he can sustain something more against the void energy (on that, implies the Lotus has the same resilience), but the fragments by itself isn't the whole Hunhow

but you are mostly right about that... dreadful thought, the idea of "we are encaged in the Origin system" because Tau system, the closest one to us, is populated by Sentients

2 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

It's not an inconsistency because the Rift is not the Void. When you're in the Rift it's better to say that you're "phased out" relatively to your surroundings, existing on a different "wavelength". Rift Surge, in this case, is putting adjusting "wavelength" of your weapons slightly into a less stable state where they inflict more damage.

Forgive me for bringing 40k into this, but to put it simply, Void is Warp, and Limbo is a Necron Wraith, or Deathmark.

Also, for the record, damage from Banish and Cataclysm has a type, it's Impact/Blast.

based on what i already said on my statement above for @ArcusVeles, it is

- the Arid Fear event put the corpus ship in the void, giving to the players 25 energy every some seconds because of the exposure to void energy

- while the warframe is inside the Rift, they earn 2 energy per second

- the Sortie modifier "Energy Reduction" says that the void interference is reducing our natural energy regeneration and limit

i understood about the "phased out" thing you said (besides i didn't caught the 40k reference, but i think the Death on Overwatch and Tobi on Naruto Shippuden has the same effect), and the ability deal impact/blast, but, on warframe, if we considere the true about something on the history, this is applied to the entire game, even if it is on another perspective, like:

- Stalker's codex and the tenno's past before our "First Dream" (its like we won the war, but we aren't the ideal good)

- Gradivus Dilemma, Valkyr and its changes compared to Gersemi skin (and based on that lore, at least, Valkyr Prime will have one or another change on her ability, since the description of her state that the experiments changed her, even if was just an change on Hysteria that is not based on wrath)

- the infested keep telling us that "why do you defile us? we are your flesh", since long time ago, even parts of the warframes are made of nano spores/plastids

- Mag's Codex telling about the Archwing and the fact the equipment has life support... it appeared before the archwing update as an tip, like they are doing with kuria's Singurality

- Crewman Synthesis, Sentient weakness and the description of the Rift Surge/Cataclysm [that's the point of the topic]

as far that i know, the few things that was an lie in-game, as far that i remember, was what Hunhow said about the warframe "no self, no sense, no death. just a Metal puppet dangling on Tenno String..." but because he didn't know until the warframe broken the sword, like how Alad V keep telling that we are eyeless, since he didn't found it and ask... to us... to smell... the prize... underwater... inside the Second Dream

1 hour ago, Zeyez said:

its fragments fall so quickly against the tenno's beam and can't adapt against it

That's because it's focused. Compare to nuclear radiation - small exposure develops disease over years, sharp exposure melts your guts in a week time.

So, you argument about Arid Fear event is valid, but I'd argue that it does not disprove mine. Rift may be the layer of the base reality that is "closer" to the Void, it's not the Void itself. So whatever amount of Void energy may be there, sentients can take it.

1 hour ago, Zeyez said:

Mag's Codex telling about the Archwing

I'm pretty sure that's speculation (however fitting), and was not confirmed by DE themselves.

1 hour ago, Zeyez said:

because Tau system, the closest one to us, is populated by Sentients

Actually, it's not, the closest is Alpha Centauri. Tau Ceti is often mentioned in the context of colonization because it's very similar to the Sun. It has nothing to do with the topic, just thought I'd point that out.

1 hour ago, Zeyez said:

the Arid Fear event put the corpus ship in the void, giving to the players 25 energy every some seconds because of the exposure to void energy

- while the warframe is inside the Rift, they earn 2 energy per second

- the Sortie modifier "Energy Reduction" says that the void interference is reducing our natural energy regeneration and limit

I think this is a point that confuse people often, the Void is a different dimension that is harmful to living things even to warframes, the Void Towers are ships or buildings the Orokin made to hide in the Void, this Void towers were made to protect its inhabitants from void storms, so the towers are effectively isolated from the Void energies.

If I remember correctly the plan the corpus used in the Arid Fear event, was a double threat, first they hid Data masses in the void, so that they were not easy to find, and two, they put them in ships that were not shielded against Void storms (this was mentioned in the alert), so contrary to Void Towers this Corpus ships were not shielded against the Void, Warframes onboard would be radiated from Void energy and gain energy as a result contrary to the Void towers.

If you check one of my commentaries above, I mentioned the Rift is kind of a wormhole, look at it this way, imagine the Rift is inside of a pipe, one side of the pipe lead to the Origin system, inside the pipe is the Rift and the other side of the pipe is the Void. None of Limbo's powers takes him into the Void, what Rift surge does is it pulls a bit of void energy into the pipe (Rift), inside the Warframes absorb it and use it as channeling on their weapons, because channeling is also void energy.

As for void interference, I believe it was another alert that brought some sort of Corpus device that limited Warframe powers, it also limited Conclave level, but I don't remember the name of the alert.

in general explanation about how the rift works, all the answers here solve almost all of it

but maybe I was expecting a response from the developers themselves, after all, they have written that in the descriptions and i'm asking if theses words still make sense or not...

well, i don't have any more questions about the rift... besides, the fact the rift has some (little) void energy still make me think: "its weak, so, it can't kill the fragments by itself, but doesn't mean that the fragment can't be weakened a bit by staying inside the rift, like not being allowed to link their resistances with other sentients while inside the rift or besides they are still tough enough, they can't adapt against damage/their damage adaptation are weakened while inside the rift"