The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Devaluation of Platinum

18 hours ago, Unus said:

The big reason why I never sell anything at greater then the price of 100 Platinum is simply because I am a man with simple needs. Slots is all I will ever want and all I will ever need. Therefore, because I find any more then this ridiculously costly for impractical accessories, this form of sales is what I will continue to do until the end of time. I'm sorry that this may be affecting your profit margins, but, I'm simply to set in my ways to change at the moment.

SAME! I tend to sell things for an amount equal to my needs (slots or when I was buying Syndicate mods).

The value of plat can be skewed for some people. On console it happens less often. But on PC, one person could have bought plat at 100% DEs normal value of 7 cents per plat. Yet with a PC random discount of 75% off, it is now roughly .02 cents per plat. Console plat should more often then not have lower plat prices because without common discounts, it retains its worth.

But things that have been in the vault for almost a year will always be priced insanely high.

21 hours ago, (PS4)XxCagedSoulxX said:

At this rate Mag Prime will sell for 20 platinum after they put her back in the vault.

The appeal to fear. Does not work like that. Once stock starts to run dry as people continue to build her after she is vaulted again, The less parts can be found for buyers. The price will surely rise. Its how it works. Something cataclysmic would need to happen for the value to continue to drop. Ex: Rotating prime seasons announced so people know exactly when Mag will come back. DE market changes that effect how much plat people acquire per dollar. etc.

that is fault of traders... i see ppl selling maxed primed mods for 400p like really... all that effort u put to max it and u sell it for 400p.....ppl dont respect enough time and effort they put to get stuff...

On 6/7/2016 at 9:04 PM, (PS4)XxCagedSoulxX said:

Hello everyone and good afternoon

I do not know if there's another thread with this topic. I found none, so I thought I'd start. I am playing Warframe on the ps4. And I know the PC is ahead of us with updates. Anyhow, I have been trading for a while. I will not use real money to buy platinum. I farm and farm until I get things I want to either use or sell. But I have noticed prices dropping more and !ore recently. People selling primed frames for 75 platinum when the standard version sells on the market for 375 platinum. Now I know that because it is an obtainable item that many can acquire through farming that the price will of course be lower. But I believe that people who are in a rush to sell whatever item they're trying to sell are seriously harming the value of platinum. 

I will see one person attempt to sell Trinity prime for 200 platinum. But then others eager to sell theirs more quickly will drop all the way down to 120 platinum just to make sure they get the sale. I know this can be true for real life as well. But real life has other factors, such as materials used to build the item and in turn, longevity. So that does not apply here. Anyway, my point is that I wish some would consider what they're doing before they keep lowering their prices. At this rate Mag Prime will sell for 20 platinum after they put her back in the vault. So just something to consider. I understand prices will rise and fall. But to let them fall so low is not healthy. Thank you and have a great day

That is not a devaluation of plat but instead of the items you want to trade for plat.

On July 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Unus said:

The big reason why I never sell anything at greater then the price of 100 Platinum is simply because I am a man with simple needs. Slots is all I will ever want and all I will ever need. Therefore, because I find any more then this ridiculously costly for impractical accessories, this form of sales is what I will continue to do until the end of time. I'm sorry that this may be affecting your profit margins, but, I'm simply to set in my ways to change at the moment.

Oreilly ?

You telling me you sell rare arcanes like arcane energize for only 100p a set? If so i want some arcane energize sets for 100p 

Not everyone have all the time to just stare at their trade chat, people with less playtime will sell low and buy at whatever is the cheapest during the time of their play. So just like the guy lecturing you about your mod, none of you have the rights to judge how the rest priced their item. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)aiptekfanboy said:

Oreilly ?

You telling me you sell rare arcanes like arcane energize for only 100p a set? If so i want some arcane energize sets for 100p 

You do realize what he meant is that he only farm item that is worth around 100p.

On 6.7.2016 at 11:25 PM, Ghogiel said:

Sounds like the buying power of plat increased in the market rather than a devaluation of plat.

Just wanted to mention that. The guy obviously didn't understand that his plat gained value.

On 07.07.2016 at 3:28 AM, Grumpy said:

As of right now I'm sitting on tons of primed mods , and primed pieces, because of people being cheap and telling me what something is worth.  And once the new system is in place the same people who lowered the prices, and got all those cheap parts, are going to make a killing on everyone.   To me the bottom line is, what is your time and effort worth ?  If you think that 2 or 3 days, or even a week of grinding is only worth 10p to 20p, then they can knock themselves out.   You time is valuable, don't let them take that away from you.

As a seller you are free to ask any price you want. But ultimately any goods are cost as much as people are willing to pay for them.

And if you're sitting on tons of stuff, then your time's value is a big fat round ZERO, and you just wasted it in vain.

It's quite interesting, the market can vary form 1 day to another. Everyone I know says "Trading tab is dumb". If you take in count the price of Pl in consoles in USD everything would be really expensive if we used prices like the market ones, I guess it'd benefit us as we'd be able to buy almost all or even all cosmetics or noggles with just 1 set of an expensive Prime. 

I guess things always have a stable price and if you are able to buy/sell something for a rare price it's luck.

But no, it'll never be cheap because of greedy people, there are always exceptions. :) 

On 7/6/2016 at 3:04 PM, (PS4)XxCagedSoulxX said:

At this rate Mag Prime will sell for 20 platinum after they put her back in the vault.

Mag used to sell for 20p if you could find a buyer.

Frost was 20p if you could find a buyer.

Ember was 20p if you could find a buyer.

I also remember when Rhino was over 800p.

Nothing new here.  It's all supply and demand.

It goes up and down constantly, especially in the afternoon/evening when many people are looking to quickly sell off their extra inventory.

If you want to sell high then sell outside of "rush hour" and if you want to buy low then that particular time of day is exactly what you're looking for.

I usually watch the chat for a while to get a bearing on supply/demand and general pricing and when I don't like it I just wait. I've seen price differences to shift by hundreds of plat in just a few hours.

Edited by LocoWithGun

On 7/6/2016 at 3:28 PM, Grumpy said:

Syndicate mods use to sell for 15p to 20p, and was a nice way to make some plat, but now I''ve seen as low as 5p and 10p.  it could be possible that people, and their friends, are doing this on purpose to set the tone and get stuff cheap, and turn around and sell it high.

Syndicates are incredibly easy to level. I'm running 4 right now and have maxed every single one at some point.

Prices are dropping because people are tolerating it and settling for less. 

Prices drop because that's what prices do.  Maxed Prime Flow was at a premium price.  This was because of two reasons.  Rarity of the mod and the rarity of the maxed mod.  After Baro brought sold them a few more times, that took care of the rarity.  People bought multiples of them for sale.  Then people started seeing "WTS Primed Flow Maxed 1k" and started to think "Hey, I can do that." so they started selling more maxed ones.  Once more maxed ones were available for sale, prices dropped due to competition.

Syndicate mods use to sell for 15p to 20p, and was a nice way to make some plat, but now I''ve seen as low as 5p and 10p.  it could be possible that people, and their friends, are doing this on purpose to set the tone and get stuff cheap, and turn around and sell it high. 

Same thing with syndicate mods.  They sold for 20p then people started seeing the plat that could be made from them.  So more people started farming them.  Becasue of mor farmers, more supply.  More supply means increased competition and prices drop.  Personally I won't pay over 8p for a syndicate mod.  BTW, there is no way a small group of people can set the price on these mods or really anything.  The market is just too big.

Another perfect example is syndicate weapons.  They used to go for 100p.  Competition dropped the prices as well.

This is what happens in a mature market and kudos for DE taking a laissez faire approach.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Syndicates are incredibly easy to level. I'm running 4 right now and have maxed every single one at some point.

I've got 4 maxed and I was halfway into tearing that down to max the other two "just to do it" and DE came out with the new syndicate stuff.  I about cried and pushed the four back up. :)

5 minutes ago, Troll_Logic said:

You realize that the first two statements are completely contradictory. 

community is not united......i garant u if i had any control over trade..... prices wouldent be low like now.....terrible low......its simple  for example one clan make deal under clan we all selling lets say loki prime set 500p...and if ppl in trade  wish it for idk 300p... we stop to offer loki set for 3 months... ppl will wish it even more price will go up... better game economy..

1 minute ago, ashrah said:

community is not united......i garant u if i had any control over trade..... prices wouldent be low like now.....terrible low......its simple  for example one clan make deal under clan we all selling lets say loki prime set 500p...and if ppl in trade  wish it for idk 300p... we stop to offer loki set for 3 months... ppl will wish it even more price will go up... better game economy..

Prices are low for items because that's what they're worth.  A Loki set is worth a certain amount of plat.  People see that and think "That's worth farming."  Now instead of a few hundred people farming Loki, you have tens of thousands.  A Loki set is always worth less when there are twenty times more Loki sets available for sale.  That's supply and demand.

To prevent any type of flame war, I'm not going to go into political theories when someone or a group of people try to artificially control the market.  Everyone loses.  It's a much worse game economy. 

Prices are what people will pay. I bought 10 Frost sets for 700p back in December and sold them each for around 450p. While everyone else was trying to sell it for 1000, I was getting the sales not them. Now you could say oh you 'could' have gotten 1000 for each one, but it like fishing. Use the right bait and you'll get a few hooks. Don't and you get nothing. I still made off with 4x what I paid.

8 minutes ago, Troll_Logic said:

Prices are low for items because that's what they're worth.  A Loki set is worth a certain amount of plat.  People see that and think "That's worth farming."  Now instead of a few hundred people farming Loki, you have tens of thousands.  A Loki set is always worth less when there are twenty times more Loki sets available for sale.  That's supply and demand.

To prevent any type of flame war, I'm not going to go into political theories when someone or a group of people try to artificially control the market.  Everyone loses.  It's a much worse game economy. 

i just say in general trade economy is bad in warframe cz ppl cut each others...3 player wish to sell something lets say 300p.. and 1 come and sell it for 150 that is not cool really...

4 minutes ago, ashrah said:

i just say in general trade economy is bad in warframe cz ppl cut each others...3 player wish to sell something lets say 300p.. and 1 come and sell it for 150 that is not cool really...

But why is it not cool?  Because that player sold it for less than you would have sold it for?  Why did he sell it for less?  Maybe he hates being stuck on trade chat for hours while trying to to maximize plat?  Maybe it's the last item he has to sell and he just wants to go?  Maybe he needs 150p right now to buy something else?  Maybe he saw people selling that same item for 200p the day before?  Maybe he doesn't think the item is worth 300?

On the flip side, what makes the 300p price the "correct" price?  What if that item that sells for 300p today sold for 400p last month.  Are the people selling the item for 300p not cool to the people who were selling it for 400p?

My point is that prices are fluid.  There is no absolute correct price.  Nor should there be.

13 minutes ago, Troll_Logic said:

But why is it not cool?  Because that player sold it for less than you would have sold it for?  Why did he sell it for less?  Maybe he hates being stuck on trade chat for hours while trying to to maximize plat?  Maybe it's the last item he has to sell and he just wants to go?  Maybe he needs 150p right now to buy something else?  Maybe he saw people selling that same item for 200p the day before?  Maybe he doesn't think the item is worth 300?

On the flip side, what makes the 300p price the "correct" price?  What if that item that sells for 300p today sold for 400p last month.  Are the people selling the item for 300p not cool to the people who were selling it for 400p?

My point is that prices are fluid.  There is no absolute correct price.  Nor should there be.

i understand that point player need fast plat...but doing that u ruin trade other ppl....its just messy..

8 minutes ago, ashrah said:

i understand that point player need fast plat...but doing that u ruin trade other ppl....its just messy..

You're not ruining other people, you're getting the sale. And it's a wash n rinse. Every time they sell something, that's one less competitor vying for the same sellers you are. 

2 hours ago, ashrah said:

That is totallty cool because that's how the market works.

a) Someone is more likely to make a sale than their competitors (win for him)

b) Somone else is going to get a better deal. (win for them)

as a bonus everyone can laugh at people getting salty (losers) about the very mechanic that is required in the market to make it competitive.

Edited by Ghogiel