Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

10 minutes ago, (PS4)joe03827 said:

My dreams are so weird , thing is i don't know how to lucid dream , and i was using the excal during that time 

( i was just about to ask a really stupid lore question ) lol

What is lucid  dreaming is that we're you can control your dreams? If so I can do I figured it out by using willpower when I was younger.

1 hour ago, (XB1)MK Ultra K11 said:

What is lucid  dreaming is that we're you can control your dreams? If so I can do I figured it out by using willpower when I was younger.

Correct, one of the ways to trigger it from what I read is tricking yourself that you are going to sleep while being awake, your body will start to itch randomly for you to scratch, that way the body knows wether you are awake or not to start dreaming, so you have to ignore the itches.Suposedly to keep the dream going you have to focus on a single thing, a word or an item to remind you that you are dreaming so that you can remain in the dream longer or so.(Don't remember all the details now)

However this may also trigger in some cases sleep paralysis which happens when you wake up but your body is still sleeping, you can see things and all but you can't move and to make it worse you will start halucinating stuff which always turns into a nightmare with creatures trying to kill you or something while you lay there helpless, certainly something that nobody would like to expirience.

Never tried lucid dreaming, surely sounds cool but sleep paralaysis on the other hand is something I certainly don't want to expirience.

Just now, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Correct, one of the ways to trigger it from what I read is tricking yourself that you are going to sleep while being awake, your body will start to itch randomly for you to scratch, that way the body knows wether you are awake or not to start dreaming, so you have to ignore the itches.Suposedly to keep the dream going you have to focus on a single thing, a word or an item to remind you that you are dreaming so that you can remain in the dream longer or so.(Don't remember all the details now)

However this may also trigger in some cases sleep paralysis which happens when you wake up but your body is still sleeping, you can see things and all but you can't move and to make it worse you will start halucinating stuff which always turns into a nightmare with creatures trying to kill you or something while you lay there helpless, certainly something that nobody would like to expirience.

Never tried lucid dreaming, surely sounds cool but sleep paralaysis on the other hand is something I certainly don't want to expirience.

I've found out through experience that whatever you think about happens in your dreams...one second I'm playing with my friends the next I'm facing a sea serpent underwater(my greatest fear). It was easier to do when I was younger. As I get older I'm losing control of when I lucid dream, than again it means less nightmares.Though you can get superpowers while lucid dreaming and holy S#&$ is it fun.

9 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

I hope Umbra's easier to farm than Akstiletto Prime.

i spent hours trying to get them TT_TT 

not even a single part ..wtb akistiletto set 500p xD 

vaub is almost as bad , but the akisiletos ...just hurt 

umbra i hope is a new system of earning though , like the metamorph theory or earned via trials 

50 waves of interception, 5 hours of survival, 60 waves of defense, about 10 sabs, and two tradeoffs, one an ash Bp and the other a fragor head, and I finally got the whole set without a single dollar or plat spent. I got all 3 sets. Vauban and fragor aren't nearly as bad as akstiletto. The only thing that holds a candle are probably dual kamas prime. I hope his farm is at least fun and rewarding like inaros, and won't make you want to kill yourself like ivara.

49 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

50 waves of interception, 5 hours of survival, 60 waves of defense, about 10 sabs, and two tradeoffs, one an ash Bp and the other a fragor head, and I finally got the whole set without a single dollar or plat spent. I got all 3 sets. Vauban and fragor aren't nearly as bad as akstiletto. The only thing that holds a candle are probably dual kamas prime. I hope his farm is at least fun and rewarding like inaros, and won't make you want to kill yourself like ivara.

here is hoping for the fun part 

So when DE released the teaser trailer for The War Within at the end of the Pax East 2016, I immediately started thinking - is this the new cinematic quest for the year? If so, will it be the quest that introduces the lore of the Umbra Warframe? As you all know by now, the Second Dream ended with the Lotus telling the Operator, "Now we fight on two fronts my child: the war without, and the war within." Obviously, this new quest is going to be some continuation or sequel to the Second Dream. Now I'm not going to go into who these two odd beings are in the trailer, and whether or not they're the Twin Kweens or such, but what I am going to talk about is what we've all be waiting for: UMBRA and how they may relate to the new quest.

There's been a lot of anticipation for Umbra. It's been a rather hot topic, and more than a few people have been burned while engaging in the Umbra forum discussions. I want to stay away from that and really focus on how the Umbra story may or may not tie into The War Within quest, and whether or not Umbra will be part of the quest. I just want to throw some ideas out. These are not official ideas but are completely based on my own ideas. However, I think my ideas hold some merit.

With the introduction of the Shadow Stalker and the new Sentient enemies, I think that the war is we know it going to change. The War Within quest is going to take the Tenno back to the heart of the Stalker's Tenno origins, and we're going to find out exactly how became who he currently is. How we do this, I'm not certain. But the key is in the Umbra. We're going to get a new Umbra class of Warframes very soon, and DE has made it clear that they will make Umbra a meaningful addition to the Warframe universe. I think that The War Within is the going to be the key to that meaningful addition.

Most likely, the quest will involve the Lotus guiding us on some new journey where we must discover some kind of newly surfaced evidence regarding the history of the Orokin and the Sentient incursion. Just like most quests in Warframe, it will involve a mix of missions that result in a some unusual challenges and a new reward at the end of the quest. The reward for us will be Umbra, or the technology needed to create Umbra.

Now to the controversial part: I think that it is highly likely the Umbra warframes will satisfy the desire of many players in that they will be able to take on a Warframe that belongs to the same class of frames as the Stalker. You can see this comparing the early appearances of Excalibur Umbra with the Stalker who appears in the Second Dream's opening (the loincloth, curved protruding armor, texture, etc.). Most likely, the Umbra warframes will be darkened, enhanced versions of Warframes that will have the ability to adapt to damage, just like the Sentients do. They may also have increased stats. If this is true, this will surely infuriate the current community of players (esp. the Founders), because it will practically put the rest of the Warframes and their prime counterparts to shame. Or will they?

Inaros may be the key. As you all know, Inaros has 0 shield, min or maxed. He just doesn't have it. At max with a ranked Vitality, he has around 4000 health. This could be the new Umbra  system. All health, no shield, with damage adapting abilities. And for those of you who have killed the Shadow Stalker, you know that he isn't invulnerable, because if you hit him all at once, he will die, even if he starts adapting to damage. The new Umbra warframes won't be invincible - you'll still be one-shot by level 100 bombards. But it will give a new mechanic to the game.

Also, the devs might go all Stalker on us and give the Umbra warframes lower health and shields while endowing them with Alloy Armor (rather than normal Ferrite Armor that the Warframes wear, as of recent updates) and Proto Shields (unlike the normal shields current Warframes possess). We'll essentially be the same class as the Stalker, on his level, and this would certainly satisfy the dreams of many players including myself.

Or, the devs might do both. Proto Shields, Alloy Armor, and the damage adaptation. 

I don't think that DE will just release Umbra as some alternate Warframe. But I can't think of how they will reconcile the Umbra idea with the current Primes. Perhaps they will make it so that we can transform your current Warframe into an Umbra form, which would be clever but highly unlikely.

I know a lot of you may hate what I'm about to say next, but I really think that the Umbra system might be just a form of the new Prime system, complete with "Umbra Access" and such. The reason why I say this is because DE is a company that needs to make money. They don't run on subscriptions or anything. They rely on constant updates and fanbase engagement to remain relevant. They have employees who need to put food on their tables, and they aren't going to squander the Umbra idea on something that won't make them any money. That's why I think that the Umbra will be a new form of paid product. However, as always, you will be able to farm for Umbra parts, most likely on the Orokin Moon. Another reason why I say this is that if The War Within quest ends with the player getting the parts for Excalibur Umbra, how will you get the parts for the other Umbras then? Will they be released in some "Umbra Access" package even though Excalibur Umbra came at the end of the quest? I don't think so.

So in conclusion: In my humble, completely honest, and TOTALLY SPECULATIVE, unconfirmed-by-the-devs opinion, I believe that the Umbra Warframes will be a new, dark, dangerous class of damage-adapting Warframes that will either have a totally new health mechanic or different types of defense mechanics (i.e. shields and health) then normal Warframes. Will they outdo the regular prime Warframes? Maybe or not. I don't know. UMBRA is a defining moment for DE, because if they do make Umbra better than anything else in the game, they risk alienating a large sector of the playerbase as well as those who help to found the game years ago. But if they don't risk, Warframe might become stale.

That's just my opinion.

I'm actually hoping Umbra works as a kind of next step for the free to play people who don't or can't spend platinum. You build the regular Warframes, i.e.: Excalibur. You do a quest; collect some stuff, build some things,and in a certain amount of time you have the option of "enchanting" the frame with the umbra mark. Gives you a new cosmetic but also new powers for the frame that are like the regular or primes but just a little different. Lower shield and lower health but with more armor and energy capacity. 

This way, it keeps PRIME the same and keeps the value of prime and doesn't offend people who spent time and money on the primes. However, gives a new element to the Warframes. 

So so essentially umbra would be a cosmetic that is permanent with a little more. 

People who too, can Just purchase the umbra (maybe make them cost 75 p). 

This also might give the newer players to go farm the regular frames instead of the old one. 

From a game design point of view, making Umbra warframes just plain better by far would be a really bad idea. It would basically poison their entire release cycle for years to come, in ways which could possibly be 'fixed' through giving in to ever more and more power creep.

A much more healthy and functional way of doing it would be to make Umbra 'frames a sidegrade to Primes, with equally balanced positives and negatives. 

We know that the Stalker is something called a "Low Guardian", based on his codex entry. Given that the Acolytes refer to Stalker as "the Umbra", I would guess that Umbras and Low Guardians are one and the same.

1 hour ago, Brachion said:

We know that the Stalker is something called a "Low Guardian", based on his codex entry. Given that the Acolytes refer to Stalker as "the Umbra", I would guess that Umbras and Low Guardians are one and the same.

I'm just going to embrace my apparent role as the Stop Having Fun (With Misinformation) Guy.

The Acolytes did not, as I recall, refer to the Stalker as Umbra. They referred to the Stalker as the Shadow, which is similar in the direct literal meaning of the word, but very much not the same thing.

You may have seen a screenshot of an Acolyte saying "The Umbra commands it." That image originated in this thread. It's a photoshop, done as a prank to get people all hyped and riled up.

1 hour ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I'm just going to embrace my apparent role as the Stop Having Fun (With Misinformation) Guy.

The Acolytes did not, as I recall, refer to the Stalker as Umbra. They referred to the Stalker as the Shadow, which is similar in the direct literal meaning of the word, but very much not the same thing.

You may have seen a screenshot of an Acolyte saying "The Umbra commands it." That image originated in this thread. It's a photoshop, done as a prank to get people all hyped and riled up.

it was actually done as a joke to be a new meme towards stuff but some seem to have taken out of context ? 

58 minutes ago, Brachion said:

Aw, crap. Never mind then. :<

no worries tenno 

Why not make umbra be a temporary upgrade after u trigger focus? Transform your frame into a umbra variant that has increased stats or different abilities for a small duration

of time (like one ,2 mins or until energy/focus is depleted . This way the focus system gets an upgrade , and a new reason to upgrade it. Plus DE mentioned focus upgrade in near future will "focus" :)) on sentients.

Plus it gives us a reason to trigger focus more than once per mission.

10 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Also it's not "Low Guardian" 

It's "Guardian" who happened to not be as glorified as the Tenno and therefore lower than them. 

46 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

what the hell is with all this transformation nonsense? Stop giving DE stupid ideas! Just let it be a frame, period.

well it is a frame and betting they already have implementation down so it might be something for future frames

personally, just my opinion :  as steve is talking openly about it with enthusiasm, usually a good sign its close to completion or at least in final stages 

I got some more things to add onto my theory ( well it's not mine only but i think it's viable ) 

The lotus is the one who made us kill the orokin , maybe she's the one who gave us the Umbra frames to slaughter the orokin , this also may prove that the umbras are sentient made frames . After we kiled the orokin , she took em and hid em and put us to sleep 

2 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

developing some appreciation art as my way of saying thanks to those who have been involved in this thread 

We love you :p

i have no idea why i said that , just came to me

Edited by (PS4)joe03827