The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

I'm new and know literally nothing about Umbra but all I'm going to say is: You're all salty as hell and you'd slam DE regardless of what they did. And before you say "NO WE WOULDN'T" - yes you bloody would because we see this happen all the time.

If DE turn around and try to shove the pacifier in your salty mouths by saying "Okay look he will definitely be released before July 2016" then they're begging to crucify themselves in the event something happens to genuinely set that release back. And yes, yes you would crucify them if they didn't seem to uphold their word.

By being silent about it so that they don't prematurely shove feet into their mouths, you're already crucifying them because, you know, how dare DE not make promises they have no guarantee of keeping. So you're still all very salty children.

P.S. If somebody says "We will talk about X in 2016" then it's your own fault if you assume that they will talk about it at a specific point in 2016. Is it still 2016? Yes? Then there is still time for them to talk about it and they're keeping their word. Sit down, shove the pacifier back into your own mouth for once instead of begging for developers to spoonfeed you with information that you would use as ammunition against them the second something goes awry, and be patient.

Ballas plays a large roll in the lives of the orokin and tenno

Im not saying he is the creator of the umbras, but i would not be surprised if he pops up or is mentioned in its development 

I do understand the restricted pool of actors issue, but its not like they cant expand that in later on

and new synthesis will open up more characters also

Edited by Haldos
Cleaned hidden post.

Just now, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

wow , look at all that salt 

another : i know nothing on this subject ....but..... im going to rant post

I have nothing to be salty about, but I'm more than happy to call out people on being hypocrites when I see it.

I don't need to know anything about Umbra specifically to know that we see this exact situation happen across hundreds of games and it never fails to play out differently. Developers say X, people get excited about X. Things go quiet for a while but nobody really minds. Hint of X appears in some given form and the hype train officially leaves the station. People start asking questions about X.

Developers then have to decide whether they risk saying anything - which will be used against them by the playerbase if they don't then make good on what they say - or just say nothing - at which point the playerbase gets mad because and accuse the developers of ignoring them or stalling on purpose.

Every single time. Every single game. I don't need to know jack about this situation with Warframe's version of X - in this case Umbra - to know that this is the exact situation happening here. (By the way, just because you don't like my opinion it doesn't change the fact I'm not wrong: if somebody went on record saying "In the year 2016 we will talk about this at some point" then you can't accuse them of being silent because it's still 2016 for another ten months. Unless they said a specific month or time frame they'd talk about it, then they're still keeping to their word and you're just being impatient.)

You may not like how Airyllish is saying it, but.....they're probably not wrong. At this point, people have hyped themselves up over this and are going to rant and be negative and unpleasant no matter what DE do. They're going to make tinfoil hats, they're going to keep accusing DE of deliberately keeping Umbra from them, and no matter what people say, I don't believe that there is a statement which DE can make which would actually prevent this or soothe people's ruffled feathers.

To add my own predictions to it: I kinda, sorta, think there's going to be a backlash when Umbra does get released. I strongly suspect that no matter what form Umbra takes upon release, people are going to be toxic about it on the forums, even when they have it. At best, I suspect that there will be unpleasant crowing about how they just knew that DE could have released Umbra all along, etc. At worst, there may be multiple threads accompanied by a Twitstorm over how Umbra is disappointing, Umbra is not a massive upgrade from Excalibur, why isn't Umbra the way we thought it would be, etc.

There is effectively no winning move for DE to make, because there is no way of pleasing all the people. Keeping quiet and playing their cards close to their chest, waiting until they are ready to deploy, until they are happy with Umbra, is the best choice.

6 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

There is effectively no winning move for DE to make, because there is no way of pleasing all the people. Keeping quiet and playing their cards close to their chest, waiting until they are ready to deploy, until they are happy with Umbra, is the best choice.

There's actually a term for this in board games and especially chess: zugzwang.

This term, for those who don't know, is the term used when a player is at a serious disadvantage regardless of what move they make and, in fact, the better option (if they had the choice) would be to pass and not make a move at all. Thusly, a player accused of being in zugzwang is a player who cannot make any move that improves their position in the game, and any move they make puts them at a further disadvantage.

Perhaps if I explain it that way, people will be a little bit less irate and understand a little better what I'm saying is happening here with the Umbra situation.

DE are in zugzwang.

everything in warframe has a love hate relation

some will like it, some will not

this is an inevitable fact

you cannot please everyone

1 minute ago, Superkoco said:

They set end of 2015 to release umbra excalibur to begin with. Then they delayed it for lore reasons i think. At least if you delay something for 2 months+, you should keep your players a bit informed about your plans.

this is what has been discussed in the last few pages, ,just a request at an update on this development

we have had 3 dev streams so far 

67-umbra mentioned that nothing has been started yet

68- no

69-no

in 67 rebecca mentions that UMBRA is also the most searched term , and that snowball keeps building

I assume that if we can get some news in to the next devstram70.

Because Steve river on twitter in beginning of the year 2016 to all expect Umbra in 2 months. and the next Friday is ideal for that news?

Edited by Vlada91

To be completely honest I couldn't care less about this whole lore thing with umbra or how they're going to implement him. If it were up to me I would just release him plain and simple. I've been waiting almost a year now for him with little to no news regarding their plans, so my patience is running thin. At this point I'd be willing to just buy him outright.

2 hours ago, Kao-Snake said:

A Friendly reminder

Resume: be patient

I have been patient. For nine months. I'm not even asking for the immediate release of Umbra, I'm asking for some snippet of game play of our one. Can you answer me, is it truly that hard for DE to just use him in the Dev build once? No spoilers, nothing. Just show us what our Umbra looks like.

2 minutes ago, Demoonic said:

To be completely honest I couldn't care less about this whole lore thing with umbra or how they're going to implement him. If it were up to me I would just release him plain and simple. I've been waiting almost a year now for him with little to no news regarding their plans, so my patience is running thin. At this point I'd be willing to just buy him outright.

I am right there with you, my friend. +1

38 minutes ago, Vlada91 said:

I assume that if we can get some news in to the next devstram70.

Because Steve river on twitter in beginning of the year 2016 to all expect Umbra in 2 months. and the next Friday is ideal for that news?

If we haven't got anything by Devstream 70, which is on the 4th of March, we can pretty much cross Umbra off for that month as well.

4 minutes ago, Demoonic said:

As I thought so too, insert Umbra now and later added to some quest for him...and  win win for all  :D

Just now, Vlada91 said:

As I thought so too, insert Umbra now and later added to some quest for him...and  win win for all  :D

Really doesn't matter to me. If they put him in a quest, fine. If they release him alone, fine. What I'm not okay with is the lack of communication surrounding this whole fiasco. I've been with this game for about three years now and I've never actually wanted something more than Umbra.

yea me 2...I was playing this game  3 YEARS 1 MONTH and i've always wanted to have such syandana as has umbra scarf.

and of course since Excal got rework,he has become my favorite frame. so I am even more thrilled when I see a new look for him.

Which has a special appearance as prime frame, as he has always  deserved... I apologize for bad English :)

25 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

I have been patient. For nine months. I'm not even asking for the immediate release of Umbra, I'm asking for some snippet of game play of our one. Can you answer me, is it truly that hard for DE to just use him in the Dev build once? No spoilers, nothing. Just show us what our Umbra looks like.

Thing is....if they did that, if they gave people a look at Umbra being used for the demonstration bits of a Devstream, that would not calm people down. That would make things worse. People would immediately flood to the forum, screaming (SCREAMING!) that if Excalibur Umbra is complete enough to be used by one of the team for a Devstream demo, then Umbra needs to be released immediately, right now.

I know this. You know this. Like everything else, that suggestion would just make things worse. 

People really oughta chill out.

18 minutes ago, Vlada91 said:

yea me 2...I was playing this game  3 YEARS 1 MONTH and i've always wanted to have such syandana as has umbra scarf.

and of course since Excal got rework,he has become my favorite frame. so I am even more thrilled when I see a new look for him.

Which has a special appearance as prime frame, as he has always  deserved... I apologize for bad English :)

I have been playing the exact same time as you. I love this game and it is my ultimate Number 1. But the thing I have always been a little disappointed about was that Excalibur had a variant that was locked off to people who never found the game in time. It is especially unfair to console players who never had any chance to get it in the first place. But, I accepted it and moved on.

Then Umbra shows up and we all loose our minds. DE promises we will get it, but then drags this situation on needlessly for nine months, with poor excuses. I will never forget Steve's excuse that they "Didn't want Umbra to get buried under the Second Dream". That post kind of made me rage for awhile, because it pretty much confirmed they were stalling for time.

DE promised to reveal more on Umbra in early 2016. It is now nearing March and we have heard nothing. Zero. It is utterly boring now, because people's expectations are getting higher and higher as time progresses, as they all expect some big cinematic quest to make up for all this waiting. They really are painting themselves into a corner here. Solid information would quell the thirst of the community. 

7 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Thing is....if they did that, if they gave people a look at Umbra being used for the demonstration bits of a Devstream, that would not calm people down. That would make things worse. People would immediately flood to the forum, screaming (SCREAMING!) that if Excalibur Umbra is complete enough to be used by one of the team for a Devstream demo, then Umbra needs to be released immediately, right now.

I know this. You know this. Like everything else, that suggestion would just make things worse. 

People really oughta chill out.

Oh come on. You, me and everyone else knows he was completed well over nine months ago. He was implemented into the Chinese build last August for goodness sake. He has been sitting on the back bench, gathering dust, for nine months.

Edited by (PS4)Redemption_015

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

Oh come on. You, me and everyone else knows he was completed well over nine months ago. He was implemented into the Chinese build last August for goodness sake. He has been sitting on the back bench for nine months.

The coding for the model of Excalibur Umbra is probably complete, yeah. The quest and lore which they want to use to introduce the Warframe is not. And that's ok. I'll wait for interesting content.

And....you did not actually say that my point was incorrect. The most likely result of using Umbra for a devstream demo would be people raging on the forums, demanding the immediate release of Umbra, and quite possibly/probably even more abuse directed towards Steve over Twitter.

2 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Like it or not, if we start looking back in time you can see how they created this situation by themselves.

37 minutes ago, Demoonic said:

Really doesn't matter to me. If they put him in a quest, fine. If they release him alone, fine. What I'm not okay with is the lack of communication surrounding this whole fiasco. I've been with this game for about three years now and I've never actually wanted something more than Umbra.

I agree here. Even showing a concept art of how our umbra is supposed to look might be a good step to calm things again for a while (they've done it with some deluxe skins). Keeping in mind that steve said our umbra would look 94% like the chinese one (which was released long ago) shouldn't be that hard. There's a lot of things DE could do or even show to improve this situation without getting into too much of a compromise, while keeping their cards hidden only feeds ideas of stalling, focus on whatever else to not release him, and even ideas of other kind if issues keeping them away from even work on it 

Edited by -----LegioN-----

7 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

The coding for the model of Excalibur Umbra is probably complete, yeah. The quest and lore which they want to use to introduce the Warframe is not. And that's ok. I'll wait for interesting content.

And....you did not actually say that my point was incorrect. The most likely result of using Umbra for a devstream demo would be people raging on the forums, demanding the immediate release of Umbra, and quite possibly/probably even more abuse directed towards Steve over Twitter.

If people choose to rage, then that is their choice. I would be satisfied by simply knowing our Umbra actually exists. It's not as if the abuse has died down recently. The more time they choose to be secretive, the more abusive these people will get. It's a shame but it is how it works. So really, both ways get the same result.

Edited by (PS4)Redemption_015

I'm just going to say one more thing! for  9 months can make a whole new game. For example assasins creed which comes out every year. Poor excuses are nothing more than poor excuses. if they wanted to insert Umbra in the game, they would have set him 99 times already. DE have become a great warframe team, and all this with our support. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

If people choose to rage, then that is their choice. I would be satisfied by simply knowing our Umbra actually exists. It's not as if the abuse has died down recently. The more time they choose to be secretive, the more abusive these people will get. It's a shame but it is how it works. So really, both ways get the same result.

Umbra exists. People choosing to be abusive about it is their choice.. They could also choose to wait patiently instead of lighting torches and grabbing pitchforks over what is essentially a skin with some minor stats attached to it. It's a matter of some being responsible for their behavior instead of blaming DE for how some are choosing to react to the situation.

31 minutes ago, Vlada91 said:

I'm just going to say one more thing! for  9 months can make a whole new game. For example assasins creed which comes out every year. Poor excuses are nothing more than poor excuses. if they wanted to insert Umbra in the game, they would have set him 99 times already. DE have become a great warframe team, and all this with our support. 

You know that... huge franchise yearly release titles are made by more than one studio right..? They cycle through studios each year.. They take at least a couple years to make, even with their massive teams and a big publisher pushing hard dead lines. DE doesn't have that. And we're talking a couple years for studio teams much much larger than Digital Extremes.

They take way more than 9 months to make. Making video games, even portions of them, is quite time consuming. 

Edited by Kethos