The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Larger/open maps and tile sets?

Phyrak

Hey there,

Something I've chewed on and written a 2.5k word concept on is that of larger maps/ tile sets

My questions for the community are these;

Do you think in the future, larger or open tile sets could be introduced?

What sort of enemies could be introduced/ what planet would suit best as an introduction to larger maps?

Lore wise, how would you like larger maps to be introduced?

As for new mechanics, how or what you you like changed or useful within a larger map? Ie. Mounts? Making snipers useful?

Thank you for reading,

(I'll include the concept I wrote up on an open world esque in an edit)

-Phyrak

Edited by Phyrak
Added link

I think a Youtuber recently made something like this. A certain tile is a large, open area. You explore it and slowly more missions reveal themselves in a storyline order (like a mini-quest).

1) You would find an abandoned data terminal, and download it. The Grineer notice and come to stop you so it's a short defense mission.

2) The terminal gives you info about a Grineer scientist, so you go hunt him down for more intel. Capture.

3) You discover the scientist had his underlings mining something out of the planet. Again the Grineer notice, lock you in the mining cavern and shut off life support. Survival.

4) Mini-events can happen along the way like a Corpus invasion, or an infested plague where you must hunt down Juggernauts and Hives to clean up.

I forget the Youtuber's name, sadly.

I had once idea of tileset made as sniper heaven. Some kind of king of the hill defense with alot of trenches so charging enemies could hide.

Other option would be Hijack mission, but these time our ride has a cannon.

Or larger map with equal boss.

Edited by felixsylvaris

I guess with larger or open tilesets you mean tile sets that have larger rooms, like the large ones inside the derelict or the Europa tile set. The problem with having this is that rooms are also used to contol aspects of the game like AI spawn and respawn, but also performance. Further you have to count in that larger rooms mean less rooms, otherwise the maps would get way to big.

Overall i dont think that we will see this any time soon.

Larger maps and tile sets would be nice to fill them with more secret stuffs and it is a good option for more parkour. Sadly this game won't be a wow or Firefall or any other game which have very large open places and you can explore them. Lore wise maybe with more quests or more fitting the planet looks maybe a base on venus or more alienish planet surfaces.

Partly introduce a cover system for combat and places for snipers and  for "more" stealthy approach.

If they even make a larger maps we can use our parkouring ability more. Sometimes annoying on earth for example the non visible walls and wall bugs where you can fall out from the map. Personally I would like more exploration in the game and relic hunts. They can also introduce with the larger maps more place for animals on earth so maybe we can get more companion.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)Woofsie said:

I think a Youtuber recently made something like this. A certain tile is a large, open area. You explore it and slowly more missions reveal themselves in a storyline order (like a mini-quest).

1) You would find an abandoned data terminal, and download it. The Grineer notice and come to stop you so it's a short defense mission.

2) The terminal gives you info about a Grineer scientist, so you go hunt him down for more intel. Capture.

3) You discover the scientist had his underlings mining something out of the planet. Again the Grineer notice, lock you in the mining cavern and shut off life support. Survival.

4) Mini-events can happen along the way like a Corpus invasion, or an infested plague where you must hunt down Juggernauts and Hives to clean up.

Nice mix of bits and pieces there!

Certainly a brilliant way to introduce it

8 minutes ago, (XB1)Woofsie said:

MCgamer

4 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Larger maps and tile sets would be nice to fill them with more secret stuffs and it is a good option for more parkour. Sadly this game won't be a wow or Firefall or any other game which have very large open places and you can explore them. Lore wise maybe with more quests or more fitting the planet looks maybe a base on venus or more alienish planet surfaces.

Partly introduce a cover system for combat and places for snipers and  for "more" stealthy approach.

If they even make a larger maps we can use our parkouring ability more. Sometimes annoying on earth for example the non visible walls and wall bugs where you can fall out from the map. Personally I would like more exploration in the game and relic hunts. They can also introduce with the larger maps more place for animals on earth so maybe we can get more companion.

Most definitely not

I was a firefall alpha founder way back in its heyday - sweet memories of flying around and driving my chopper

Something with some randomization would do wf a wonder with larger maps and some wildlife introduced akin to what firefall did whilst keeping the instance based playstyle

9 minutes ago, Xebov said:

I guess with larger or open tilesets you mean tile sets that have larger rooms, like the large ones inside the derelict or the Europa tile set. The problem with having this is that rooms are also used to contol aspects of the game like AI spawn and respawn, but also performance. Further you have to count in that larger rooms mean less rooms, otherwise the maps would get way to big.

Perhaps two or three rooms with items within the room having massive randomization adjusted to the size of the environment

Ie. Bunker or forest could spawn on area y - enemies change spawn based on placement of spawn area on tile

8 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

Large tiles are the reason why I love Corpus excavation missions on Neptune. With hills (etc) it gives an epic battle feel that you definitely can't find anywhere else in the game. 

And also makes Sniper rifles useful

How would you like it if there were the open tile sets with wildlife and perhaps more open missions - ie. Investigate place x, ambush foes in area y, aggressive fauna attacking tenno/syndicate at coordinates z?

The maps are already quite large. And earth and venus and mars and ceres are quite open. I think a standardized layout for the rooms, instead of randomized rooms, would help emphasize the size of the maps. It would be nice to have more open tilesets though. It'd be nice to see some reworked tilesets as well (like venus), but that's another topic altogether.

As for suitable planets, Venus could use a more volcanic-like tileset (or, if it'd be better to maintain the ice-ness of the tileset, it could be a combination, something like Battlefront's Sullust).

Pluto could use a different, more realistic tileset as well, and that could be quite open, maybe inside large protective domes. It could be the Corpus HQ or something.

Sedna could use a different tileset, so that it's not just the same as Ceres. And that could be open.

Also, Earth could use some more open tilesets. Maybe a desert tileset, a jungle tileset (open, but dense), a colder, maybe mountainous tileset that could be open, and maybe a open tropical island that has dense and sparse vegetation along with a whole lot of Grineer military infrastructure (maybe Vay Hek could be here).

So those are my ideas.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

29 minutes ago, Phyrak said:

Perhaps two or three rooms with items within the room having massive randomization adjusted to the size of the environment

Ie. Bunker or forest could spawn on area y - enemies change spawn based on placement of spawn area on tile

Most Tile Sets allready have at least 1 larger room, so you wont need alot more rooms, instead you should focus your suggestion into what to do with these rooms. I think its more likely that the sugestion will be heard if its easier to implement (rooms by itself require alot of work to make).

1 hour ago, Phyrak said:

Hey there,

Something I've chewed on and written a 2.5k word concept on is that of larger maps/ tile sets

My questions for the community are these;

Do you think in the future, larger or open tile sets could be introduced?

What sort of enemies could be introduced/ what planet would suit best as an introduction to larger maps?

Lore wise, how would you like larger maps to be introduced?

As for new mechanics, how or what you you like changed or useful within a larger map? Ie. Mounts? Making snipers useful?

Thank you for reading,

(I'll include the concept I wrote up on an open world esque in an edit)

-Phyrak

i reall dont care about sizes

i would like and im pleased to see new, really brandnew themes with upcoming maps and changes, im tired of grineer, corpus, infested and that what we have right now ... more then tired

i would love to see a FEW new races and planets/systems and their tilesets ,-)

40 minutes ago, Phyrak said:

How would you like it if there were the open tile sets with wildlife and perhaps more open missions - ie. Investigate place x, ambush foes in area y, aggressive fauna attacking tenno/syndicate at coordinates z?

I would love more wildlife, but I don't think an "open world" model would really fit this game :/ 

I actually like the way it works, but with more events inside the missions it would get better I think

19 hours ago, AntoineFlemming said:

*snip*

Also, Earth could use some more open tilesets. Maybe a desert tileset, a jungle tileset (open, but dense), a colder, maybe mountainous tileset that could be open, and maybe a open tropical island that has dense and sparse vegetation along with a whole lot of Grineer military infrastructure (maybe Vay Hek could be here).

The phrase 'open, but dense' -- when describing a jungle --  doesn't really make much sense: jungles are, by definition, overgrown.

1. a :  an impenetrable thicket or tangled mass of tropical vegetation
    b :  a tract overgrown with thickets or masses of vegetation

However, I think I still get what you're trying to convey, conceptually. You're talking about something akin to an Old-Growth (though tropical) forest (ie: very well-established trees, canopy, standing deadwood, etc.), with spaces between the tree-trunks which are wide enough to provide good (albeit somewhat-obstructed) Line-of-Sight viewing.

Is that about what you had in mind?

18 hours ago, Rhundis said:

Bigger maps mean longer load time, higher CPU requirements, and lower frame rates for low end PCs.

Load times I'll grant you as being a possibility, but the rest of it....that would largely depend on their graphical settings, actually. Drop stuff down to bottom-range quality, visually, and suddenly your framerate goes up quite a bit.

20 hours ago, Xebov said:

Would it not be possible if we were scaled down like in Archwing missions? 

35 minutes ago, Xebov said:

Would look a bit ugly, because we would look way to small for railings, doors etc.

That is not what I meant, I mean: make those maps as extensive and big as a normal titleset, but the objects, enemies and us be Archwing sized.

The Grineer Archwing maps, but instead of flying around, its a single, huge landscape.

1 hour ago, Venom-Snake said:

That is not what I meant, I mean: make those maps as extensive and big as a normal titleset, but the objects, enemies and us be Archwing sized.

The Grineer Archwing maps, but instead of flying around, its a single, huge landscape.

There is no difference between making the room huge or making the players small. Its all the same and all requires work because you need to build said rooms.

4 hours ago, cittran said:

The phrase 'open, but dense' -- when describing a jungle --  doesn't really make much sense: jungles are, by definition, overgrown.

1. a :  an impenetrable thicket or tangled mass of tropical vegetation
    b :  a tract overgrown with thickets or masses of vegetation

However, I think I still get what you're trying to convey, conceptually. You're talking about something akin to an Old-Growth (though tropical) forest (ie: very well-established trees, canopy, standing deadwood, etc.), with spaces between the tree-trunks which are wide enough to provide good (albeit somewhat-obstructed) Line-of-Sight viewing.

Is that about what you had in mind?

Load times I'll grant you as being a possibility, but the rest of it....that would largely depend on their graphical settings, actually. Drop stuff down to bottom-range quality, visually, and suddenly your framerate goes up quite a bit.

Yeah, that. Thanks.

23 hours ago, Rhundis said:

Bigger maps mean longer load time, higher CPU requirements, and lower frame rates for low end PCs.

The maps are already quite big when you factor in all the various rooms and stuff. Big maps aren't an issue.